XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Squeaking on startup when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Squeaking on startup when cold

Ok, not been able to track this one down yet, due to the nature of the problem, looking for help and ideas.

Car is an 04 XJ8 [X350] with 40K miles on it.

When I first start the car from cold (and only when cold) I get a rythmic squeak, squeak, squeak etc, when the car is idling. The noise goes away when the revs go beyound about 1500 RPM or when the car has been running for a couple of minutes (like something has warmed up). It sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the front, from one of the devices on the accessory belt. Problem is with so much junk in the way (radiator, plastic etc) and the fact that it goes after a couple of minutes, I have been unsuccessful in tracing the source. It has been like this for >6 months and has not changed in frequency, loudness etc, so I don't believe it is anything serious, more of an annoyance....

Can anyone tell me how I should try to track this down, and what devices are connected to the accessory belt? What would be the most likely candidate? Oh BTW it is not related to the A/C being on or off.

Thanks

- Tim

Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts
Default RE: Squeaking on startup when cold

Could be a number of things. First check the belts. When they get dry they tend to squeak when cold. Then start checking the items with bearings in them.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found the most common culprit for a start up squeak that goes away is a idler or tensioner pulley. Those would be my first looks.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Tim, my mechanical experience isn't on Jags but based on your description, I would replace the belt or belts.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TIM,

I have an '06 xj8 with 32K and had the same problem - it was rectified after a belt change - the problem is I don't recall which belt I had to replace. Once I find out I will get back to you - fairly certain it's a belt problem

Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

There is a Tech Service Bulletin out for replacement of the belt and idler pulley for this complaint. The new idler pulley has a flanges on it to keep the belt from sliding sideways across the pulley and squeaking. I had the problem and just changed it myself to save a trip to the dealer,onewill need a serpentine belt tool to get the belt off.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

its a belt, the squeek squeek is from a slick/polished part on the belt that slips going over a pulley, and yes sometimes a pulley thats going bad will squeek too. But to isolate, have someone start the car whenm cold and spray some wd40 on the belt surface only and if it stops its the belt, if no change a pulley

The following users liked this post:
Robinb (04-25-2015)
Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like the tensioner is a problem. I pciked up an 06 super V8 a couple of months ago. At the time, I noted the cold squeaking which went away in a couple of minutes on delivery and the dealer said he would check it out whenI brought the car back in to have the Jaguar Voice module installed. WhenI pickedit up, I could talk to my car and they had replaced the tensioner, belt, and idler pulley because of the TSB. Now the only question I have is, how did it get by the 140point Select Edition inspection? Hmmmmm. Wonder what else they missed. Anyway, the car is a dream to drive and I am enjoying wasting gas and listening to the supercharger whine. And boy do I wish my youngest son would obey me when I ask him to do something as well as my Jaguar does.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Charlie,
Can you let me know the TSB your dealer applied?

Thanks

- Tim

Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2004 XJ8 is squeaking when cold - it goes away in a few minutes when the temperature guage moves towards normal operating temp. The belt was changed about 7k miles ago at the local Jag dealer by the former owner. I've sprayed Prestone Belt Dressing on it while squeaking and that calms it down, but the squeak comes back again with the next cold start. Does anyone know about the TSB mentioned in this thread or have an idea how to change the belt or tensioner/pulley in this vehicle? I'm thinking about DIY instead of paying Jaguar to repair. What am I in for?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, my fellow jag guys, i have a squeal, too, i have a 95 xj6, and here is the problem , after changing belts, and puting idler pulley, on ac belt side, squealll still there , ok so trouble shoot time, that didnt cure it, ok, so i took the, ac belt off , 1st thats easy one, squealled again, ok, took alternator/waterpump belt, squealled again, ok help!!!!!! called the wifey to start car so i could hear better.......... guess what you all, it turn out to be the top coolingfan, shaft more than likey need lubing, so was able to spray lithum grease inside alittle, that quiet it for awhile. when it cools down here in Arizona, this fall will take fan shrould out, only way to get to the screws on front of blades, it still does it 1st thing in mornings but goes away after a few seconds

Geno
1995 xj6 186k

Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

This happened to my 2004 xj8 also. It was the thermostat housing had a very small leak which would leak coolant onto the front belt and squeak when cold. When the engine warmed up the coolant dried and th enoise went away.

so, most likely you will have to replace the thermostat housing. the dealer told me this was very common.

The following 2 users liked this post by Plant:
Datjagdude (08-13-2011), Frog (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Plant
Hi,

This happened to my 2004 xj8 also. It was the thermostat housing had a very small leak which would leak coolant onto the front belt and squeak when cold. When the engine warmed up the coolant dried and th enoise went away.

so, most likely you will have to replace the thermostat housing. the dealer told me this was very common.
This is an interesting diagnosis and seems to fit the symptoms I am having on my 2005 XKR. The only thing is, I don't know where the 'thermostat housing' is located - any pointers, please?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Check your crank pulley for evidence of delamination of the damper. I"ve had this noise on an Excursion 7.3 turbodiesel and an Stype 3.0L. Same problem. Very benign squeal on cold-start that subsided relatively quickly.....4-6 months before either of them started throwing/chewing belts.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plant
Hi,

This turned out to be the issue inflicting my XJ8. I was able to replace the belt (pretty easy actually) and the thermostat housing (not so easy) and squeaking solved! Replacing the entire housing was much more difficult than a thermostat replacement - 3 screws on the front of the housing.

I'm not a tech, but if you follow the hoses from the radiator they should lead you to the thermostat.

Thanks for the tip - my Jag is smooth and quiet. Good times!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I am trying to understand what's required when changing the idler pulley to the new flanged design. Does this mean an updated belt is also required? And for supercharged cars wasn't there an update to the supercharger idler pulley that was grooved? Wouldn't that require a grooved belt that would also require replacing the supercharger pulley to a grooved design?

In my case I am dealing with a 4.2 XKR, but the concept is the same!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Yes, the new supercharger belt that is required with the idler and tensioner combo is ribbed for your pleasure.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Yes, the new supercharger belt that is required with the idler and tensioner combo is ribbed for your pleasure.
I see, so if I change the idler pulley to a ribbed/grooved design, I'd have to replace all the pulleys, including tensioner, ac compressor, etc.?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

To prove it is the belt, try putting talcum powder or baby powder on the belt before starting the engine. It's a temporary fix, but it'll tell you whether it is the belt or not.

The following users liked this post:
Dan R (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Squeaking on startup when cold