XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Squeaky doors - how do I service them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts
Question Squeaky doors - how do I service them?

Door hinges are making noise. What is the correct way to lube them? What do I use and what other tips can you tell me?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

A shot of WD-40 fixed mine a year ago and it has not returned.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The WD-40 may work, just be sparing in your use.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

OK WD-40 it is. I thought there may be a special grease that is put on the pivots...

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WD-40 is good I like to use white lithium grease in an aerosol can, spray on the hinges and work the door back and forth. I just did this on my fiancees mustang and it brought the sound level down a lot, still squeaks a little tho. You can find it at homedepot usually in the garden tools section, maybe by pesticides, you can also use it on garage doors.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I have used the white lithium grease many times, but it just doesn't always reach the squeak.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue with white lithium grease is that it attracts dust and gunk like nobody's business.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a dry film lubricant and it has worked well on the doors and hood/trunk hinges.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Fluid Film, the rust preventative works almost immediately after working the hinge back and forth a few times. That is because it is designed to creep like WD-40. It is somewhat thicker so it ought to last a lot longer.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Silicone mist spray does the job for me. WD40 smells bad IMO.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by jsherid1
The only issue with white lithium grease is that it attracts dust and gunk like nobody's business.
So does WD40!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Door hinges are making noise. What is the correct way to lube them? What do I use and what other tips can you tell me?
The chances are pretty good that the squeeking you hear is the door snubbers and not the hinges. These things squeek when hot and all you can do is replace them according to the bulletin on them.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 AM

I have heard some slight squeaking in one of the windows when going up. Any one have any experience with this?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by whitevdp
I have heard some slight squeaking in one of the windows when going up. Any one have any experience with this?
I have major squeaking on both front windows, worse coming down than going up. Dealer is stumped. Part of that is my fault as I will not pay to have the door taken apart. What is annoying to me is they have no idea what it is. They tried to lubricate the window tracks but that didn't help. I can't imagine they have never heard this before...but that was their story.

I tried to start a thread about it, but got no replies.

If you find the solution, let me know. I do notice mine are not as bad when it is raining...????

Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Default Squeak

I'm gonna be the one to ask this Dumb question, and only because I did not see anyone mentio or ask this, so here goes, What do you clean your windows with? What liquid or chemical? Are the windows squeaky clean? how dry and squeaky are they? Check also the rubber window jams, are those real dry and sticky? Anyway, just a thought.

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
I have major squeaking on both front windows, worse coming down than going up. Dealer is stumped. Part of that is my fault as I will not pay to have the door taken apart. What is annoying to me is they have no idea what it is. They tried to lubricate the window tracks but that didn't help. I can't imagine they have never heard this before...but that was their story.

If you find the solution, let me know. I do notice mine are not as bad when it is raining...????

Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenhornet
I'm gonna be the one to ask this Dumb question, and only because I did not see anyone mentio or ask this, so here goes, What do you clean your windows with? What liquid or chemical? Are the windows squeaky clean? how dry and squeaky are they? Check also the rubber window jams, are those real dry and sticky? Anyway, just a thought.
Rain? OK, that is an exaggeration, but I don't really do anything special for the windows, wash the car, dry the car, repeat...

It sounds to me as if there was a rubber wheel that has frozen and is just dragging on the glass. There are no drag marks or skid marks on the windows. From the diagrams of the door, it doesn't seem like there is such a rubber wheel in there...

I should just take the door apart and see what I can find, but I am afraid to do it myself (lack of knowledge, fear of breakage) and too cheap to pay the dealer to do it. I'd have no problem paying them to fix it, but since they have no clue, I don't want to pay for "exploratory surgery" with no finite repair cost.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Default Window

I Hear ya, and I understand what your saying. And I do not blame you at all for not wanting to open that door up, it would all be just a PITA job to do, I was hoping in my reply earlier that it might be something just that simple of a problem, but nothing is ever that simple, these days. LOL.

Rain? OK, that is an exaggeration, but I don't really do anything special for the windows, wash the car, dry the car, repeat...

It sounds to me as if there was a rubber wheel that has frozen and is just dragging on the glass. There are no drag marks or skid marks on the windows. From the diagrams of the door, it doesn't seem like there is such a rubber wheel in there...

I should just take the door apart and see what I can find, but I am afraid to do it myself (lack of knowledge, fear of breakage) and too cheap to pay the dealer to do it. I'd have no problem paying them to fix it, but since they have no clue, I don't want to pay for "exploratory surgery" with no finite repair cost.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

You can try some silicone spray lubricant first on the door runners. I had a similar problem with my Audi (second car) and it helped. My Audi's driver side window would go part way up and then back down like something was stuck. After spraying the silicone in the door window runners the problem went away. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to remove the door panel to access the window runners inside the door. This will be a PITA though.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I will investigate and post if I have any success.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The window regulator has pulleys with cables running over them that squeek. They either need lubing or replacing.

The following users liked this post:
45Wheelgun (08-04-2011)

Quick Reply: Squeaky doors - how do I service them?