XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Squeaky front suspension on XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Squeaky front suspension on XJ8

Hi there,

I'm not an X350 driver (currently X308 and X27) so I'm not totally aware of specialties of these cars. A friend of mine, who I do regular work for on his cars, has an X350 4.2l V8 with the adaptive shocks (don't know if standard or special equipment) and has some issues with squeaks when driving over bumpy roads. He says they are from the front and more so from the front right.

I remember reading, somewhere along the lines, that the X350 had some issues with front bushes wearing/failing. He says it sounds like rubber rubbing on metal so I instantly thought about the bushes.

As far as I can see, the front suspension is still of a double wishbone type (like on all older Jags) wirh a combined spring/damper unit. The lower wishbone is made of two parts which bolt to the 'strut'. The upper wishbone seems to be a single piece. Is this correct?

If so, can the bushes be removed and replaced? I've found replacement bushes for the lower control arm (halves). Is this a 'straight forward' job basically selfexplaining or does it require loads of spedial tools?

I'm no newbie when if xomes to doing xles. I've just done my 89 XJ-S front axle amd will be doing the front of ,y XJ8 as well... So no problems there. I am also a well skilled mechanic (with an eye for details)...

What's your opinion?

Cheers

Damien

Old 11-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Sqeaking could also be metal-on-metal as with a steel ball joint. Tell your friend to check the ball joint boots top and bottom. The top one is on the end of the V of the top wishbone and the lower is in the same position but located on the hub carrier. If the boots are split and have been for some time, water and grit can get in and wreak havoc, indeed I have seen a Japanese small SUV with the front off-side wheel almost horizantal due to a ball joint breaking. Fortunately it happened in our village at about 20 mph, not on a motorway at 70 !!

As for replacing bushes, yes most of these can be replaced, and also with Polybush items, (harder ride, though)

Old 11-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My front right suspension is clunking when going over bumps too, I noticed both upper ball joint boots are torn. Would this most likely be the cause & require replacing asap? I've already replaced engine mounts, the front right shock & bush, both large lower curved arm bushes too.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Sqeaking could also be metal-on-metal as with a steel ball joint. Tell your friend to check the ball joint boots top and bottom. The top one is on the end of the V of the top wishbone and the lower is in the same position but located on the hub carrier. If the boots are split and have been for some time, water and grit can get in and wreak havoc, indeed I have seen a Japanese small SUV with the front off-side wheel almost horizantal due to a ball joint breaking. Fortunately it happened in our village at about 20 mph, not on a motorway at 70 !!

As for replacing bushes, yes most of these can be replaced, and also with Polybush items, (harder ride, though)
Thanks.

The upright/hubassembly has already been replaced incl. lower balljoint... But I'll give it a look over.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
My front right suspension is clunking when going over bumps too, I noticed both upper ball joint boots are torn. Would this most likely be the cause & require replacing asap? I've already replaced engine mounts, the front right shock & bush, both large lower curved arm bushes too.
You need to replace those boots asap. Split boots are a failure item in our UK roadworthiness test, (called "MOT test"). You can buy boots on the internet, but you need to take measurements of the split ones. If they've been split for some time, you should check for play in the ball joint. The upper ones are part of the wishbone and not available separately, you have to fit a complete new wishbone

The following users liked this post:
JagsteRJX (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Good thing there's no road worthiness test in Ohio, I moved from Australia to the US to get away from all the rules & regs (can't even let a simple fire cracker off anymore).
The boots have been split for at least 6 months, I just had the large lower curved bushes replaced and the mechanics said the others seemed ok, but I'll get it double checked.