XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Squealing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same thing could not get the breaks to stop squeaking, replace all the same parts he did. so what i ended up doing is replacing the rotors with drilled and slotted rotors and use a ceramic break pads. the sqeel is gone. the new rotors that are drilled and slotted get rid of the heat better. it could just be the rotors are getting too hot. if you go this way make sure you follow directions on how they go on. hope i can post this here but i got the parts from here Performance Brake Rotors | Brake Pads & More Brake Parts | Cquence.net

Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mastersid
If that's the only shim you have it's in the wrong place and will never work as intended...

XJ8JR , get rid of what ever crappy brake pads you have fitted , most pads that are noisy don't have the proper steel shims supplied , I would suggest you buy AKEBONO pads , they cost a bit more but do have the steel shims fitted...

BTW , that rubberized shim is designed fit in between the disc pad and the steel shim...
The pads I currently have fitted are ceramic Posi-quiets from R1 Concepts. They have excellent reviews. And they do have the steel shim on the backs. I put the extra rubberized shim on top of that. Later, I also removed the steel shim and put a coat of CRC goop between that and the backing plate.

Upon further research, I'm seeing that some people complain that ceramic pads make noise compared to OEM semi-metallic.

Originally Posted by Shdw2001h
I went through the same thing could not get the breaks to stop squeaking, replace all the same parts he did. so what i ended up doing is replacing the rotors with drilled and slotted rotors and use a ceramic break pads. the sqeel is gone. the new rotors that are drilled and slotted get rid of the heat better. it could just be the rotors are getting too hot. if you go this way make sure you follow directions on how they go on. hope i can post this here but i got the parts from here Performance Brake Rotors | Brake Pads & More Brake Parts | Cquence.net
I came to the same conclusion, so I replaced my original blank rotors with R1 Concepts drilled and slotted, which are the ones currently on the car. Still squealing.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

The only things left to do is to either replace the pads and/or rotors again, or maybe try new wheel bearings. Other than that, I'm completely out of ideas.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I just got back from Firestone, where they replaced my broken wheel stud. When I asked for their advice regarding the squealing brakes, they suggested I go back to OEM pads, or at least try Akebonos.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:40 PM
TJC
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just purchased new brake rotors and pads. I purchased Brembo rotors and Brembo ceramic pads that are specified for the normally-aspirated XJ8, i.e. they are not XJR Brembo parts. I found rear rotors and front pads at Import Replacement Parts (www.importrp.com). I found front rotors and rear pads through Amazon. I could not find any one supplier to provide a complete set/kit of Brembo rotors and pads. These parts should all be here in the next couple of weeks. I will let everyone know the results. I'm excited to see if these Brembo parts truly exceed the OEM specs and stop the squeal. After a lot of OEM research, it appears that TRW supplied OEM pads and rotors. Mintex also supplied Jaguar with parts. However, it's difficult to find one supplier that can provide a complete front/back set of matching OEM brand brakes; aside from the dealer of course. The Jaguar dealer prices, even those operating through eBay are very expensive. I'm not quite sure why the front TRW rotors are so expensive (found one set of genuine OEM on eBay), but you can find front and rear TRW pads for cheap on Amazon.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Regardless of my noise issue, I am unhappy with the feel of the drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I'm considering going back to blanks and semi-metallics. I don't really care about the extra dust as I wash the car every week anyway. I just want whatever will give me the best bite and feel. My girlfriend's Infiniti's brakes make the Jag feel like an old jalopy. Am I correct in assuming that OEM pads/rotors will restore that bite and grip?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the site I posted and go to how to section. This section might give you some help.
Don't know if it will but it is worth a try before spending more money on the repair.
Performance Brake Rotors | Brake Pads & More Brake Parts | Cquence.net

Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 PM
TJC

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Did you ever try the Jaguar brake caliper grease that is specifically for this issue? I had the problem on my car, bought the grease and applied per the TSB, has been gone for almost a year now. Grease goes on the back of pads, and where the pads slide (any metal-metal contact point).
Do you have a TSB number or name or copy of the bulletin? I would like to try this TSB.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by woox4:
mhamilton (04-26-2016), plums (05-09-2016), XJ8JR (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Thanks for posting that--I had not been able to find the TSB or link for the OP, I thought I had saved it somewhere. I used the jaguar grease for this issue with my brakes and it worked great.

Originally Posted by woox4

Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like the grease is for a creaking noise on the MY2006 and above. My noise is the more common "creep groan" that happens just before the wheels top turning, depending on braking conditions. All cars do it to an extent, but it seems like the Jag does it all the time. I suspect the ceramic pads just don't grab the rotors enough.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 AM
TJC

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Looks like the grease is for a creaking noise on the MY2006 and above. My noise is the more common "creep groan" that happens just before the wheels top turning, depending on braking conditions. All cars do it to an extent, but it seems like the Jag does it all the time. I suspect the ceramic pads just don't grab the rotors enough.
I also get the creep groan when applying the brakes at low speed and coming to a stop. I also have semi-metallic pads. So replacing your ceramics isn't going to solve your problem. I've also been reviewing your list of work. Have you done anything to the rear brakes? I was almost positive these issues were with my front brakes until I diagnosed the problem outside of the vehicle with another person driving. The squeaking and chirping was happening at low and high speed at front and rear wheels. I wouldn't think this a problem with wheel bearings. So, not only am I waiting on new Brembo pads and rotors. I will be ordering rebuilt calipers. It is very likely that more than one caliper is hanging up (not retracting).

Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TJC
I also get the creep groan when applying the brakes at low speed and coming to a stop. I also have semi-metallic pads. So replacing your ceramics isn't going to solve your problem. I've also been reviewing your list of work. Have you done anything to the rear brakes? I was almost positive these issues were with my front brakes until I diagnosed the problem outside of the vehicle with another person driving. The squeaking and chirping was happening at low and high speed at front and rear wheels. I wouldn't think this a problem with wheel bearings. So, not only am I waiting on new Brembo pads and rotors. I will be ordering rebuilt calipers. It is very likely that more than one caliper is hanging up (not retracting).
I have two reasons for suspecting only the front brakes...

First, I have had someone outside the car listening, and it does sound like its coming from the front, but it is admittedly difficult to tell.

Second, every time I have fiddled with the fronts, the noise has disappeared for a short time. I would imagine that if it were the rears, my efforts would have no effect whatsoever. On separate occasions, I have fiddled with the rears without touching the fronts and have gotten no results at all.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered new front wheel bearings, blank rotors and Bendix Titanium semi-metallic pads. I would prefer to test each item separately to see if I can find the direct cause, but I'm so tired of taking everything apart, I just want to do it all at once. Even if the new pads and rotors don't take care of the noise, it'll still be an improvement for me, as I can't stand the set-up I have now. And at least I'll have new wheel bearings too.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

I decided I couldn't wait, so I installed the new wheel bearings/hubs and the pads last night. I haven't received the new rotors yet, so that will have to wait until next week. I can immediately feel the difference with the semi-metallic pads. The brake feel and response is SOOO MUCH BETTER than ceramic, and they haven't even broken in yet. No creep groan or squealing yet, but it's still too early to tell if it will return. Will update, but so far so good.

I don't really feel any difference concerning the new bearings. I guess my old ones were still good.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Driving to lunch today and I can hear the squeal slowly coming back. At least the braking force is excellent and still no creep groan.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 AM
TJC

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Driving to lunch today and I can hear the squeal slowly coming back. At least the braking force is excellent and still no creep groan.
Does your car have anti-rattle springs? When I purchased my used XJ8, there weren't any springs on the car. I just assumed they weren't supposed to be there. But when I search the web, there appear to be springs available for the XJ8. I'm curious if these springs would help keep the pad from squealing when the brakes aren't applied. I know another user asked this question. I previously replied that not all VIN's specified springs, but I'm wondering now if they should be on there.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default PROGRESS!

After driving all over town over the weekend, I can confirm that the squeal has been reduced by 95%! There is just a small cyclical chirp now when rolling to a stop. I can live with that so long as it doesn't get any worse!

I still will be installing new blank rotors today because I don't like the feel and the noise/vibration of the drilled/slotted ones I have on now. Perhaps the blanks will get rid of the cyclical chirp.

I'm loving the Bendix IQ pads so much, I've ordered a set for the rears. No more ceramic pads for me.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Just installed new blank rotors. Will update in a few days.

Regarding the Bendix IQ pads for the rear, it turns out they're only for the MY2006 and above. So I've ordered a set of Monroe semi-metallics.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

UDPATE: 3 days later and still no squeaking or squealing. It seems the new rotors got rid of the cyclical chirp that I was still getting. HOWEVER, now I'm getting really nasty creep groan just before coming to a full stop. I'm hoping that'll change once the rotors wear in a bit. Either way, I'd much rather deal with creep groan than screaming nails on a chalkboard.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: A few days ago I started to get a squeal again when riding the brake to a stop, along with the continued creep groan. Per a suggestion on another thread, I flushed out the incorrect Class 4 brake fluid and replaced with a Class 6. Not really to see if it would help, but just because I discovered that the fluid I had in there was below spec.

The fluid change went well, pedal felt strong, but still had the low squeal. So I decided to try a proper bed-in procedure. Braking felt soft all the way home because of heat fade, but there was no creep groan at all. Coming to a stop was nice and smooth.

Well, the creep groan returned this morning, along with an even LOUDER squeal, AND braking power still feels soft. So, it looks like the bed-in procedure made things worse. At least temporarily, I hope. I'm praying they just need more time to fully break in. I'm going to give them a few hundred miles and report back.

I am getting really tired of this problem. All I want is smooth, quiet braking. Is that really too much to ask?

Quick Reply: Squealing Brakes