XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Stainless VS Chrome Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Stainless VS Chrome Lug Nuts

I'm going to replace my crappy capped lug nuts BEFORE I have to drill them to get them off. There has been a lot of posts about this lately, and I dont want to have to be another owner to have to read "removal of stuck lug nut" threads. Many of the threads talk about getting the old stripped one off, but dont go into the replacements that much. Other than talking about replacing them with solid and recommending Toyota/Mitubishi nuts, no one has shared chrome vs stainless, and specific brand corrosion properties. I know that stainless is rust resistant, not rust proof. Chrome will also resist rust to a limit.
My first concern is disimilar metals causing premature corrosion on my SV8 chromed alloy rims.
My second concern is stainless vs chrome corrosion resistance. This would have a lot to do with a certain brand/quality of lug nut.
I have always used anti-seize on my lugs to limit freezing/rusting.
Any long term experiance out there with your choices/recomendations? A $1.00 nut is probably not what I'm looking for, but I dont need them gold plated either. Some one in a post recomended a company out of CA, but cant remember the name. What I do remember, was they wernt cheap.
Thanks
Mark
I'll also put a proper size socket and breaker bar in the boot.
This car will be driven in the north east US in the winter from time to time.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I like chrome

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
I'm going to replace my crappy capped lug nuts BEFORE I have to drill them to get them off. There has been a lot of posts about this lately, and I dont want to have to be another owner to have to read "removal of stuck lug nut" threads. Many of the threads talk about getting the old stripped one off, but dont go into the replacements that much. Other than talking about replacing them with solid and recommending Toyota/Mitubishi nuts, no one has shared chrome vs stainless, and specific brand corrosion properties. I know that stainless is rust resistant, not rust proof. Chrome will also resist rust to a limit.
My first concern is disimilar metals causing premature corrosion on my SV8 chromed alloy rims.
My second concern is stainless vs chrome corrosion resistance. This would have a lot to do with a certain brand/quality of lug nut.
I have always used anti-seize on my lugs to limit freezing/rusting.
Any long term experiance out there with your choices/recomendations? A $1.00 nut is probably not what I'm looking for, but I dont need them gold plated either. Some one in a post recomended a company out of CA, but cant remember the name. What I do remember, was they wernt cheap.
Thanks
Mark
I'll also put a proper size socket and breaker bar in the boot.
This car will be driven in the north east US in the winter from time to time.
The Toyota are the ticket. The softness of stainless was a concern for me. Carbon steel is much harder.
Repeated torquing on tire rotation made me think chromed steel was a better option. If they rust, they were cheap. They are a little over a dollar.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Mark in Maine (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
These are what I use. In my 40+ years in the industry, I know when it's a well made part.

Amazon.com: DPAccessories LCM3C6HCOCH04020 20 Premium Chrome Mag Seat Lug Nuts for Factory/OEM Aluminum Wheels (M12x1.5): Automotive
+1 that's what I bought and were pleased with their quality

The following users liked this post:
Mark in Maine (10-03-2015)