XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Static Sound From Cd CHanger 05 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Static Sound From Cd CHanger 05 XJR

Lately when I try to play a disc in the cd changer, doesn't matter which disc or in what location All I get is a loud staticy soudn from the speakers. I've tried cleaning the discs and other cd's but nothgin works.

any ideas?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 PM

I should have mentioned I have the ACM? (I Pod) interface module installed in the car and that no longer works whichever way i flip the switch. any ideas or am I looking at a service call?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The ACM switch as you know selects between whether you use the ACM or the CD changer. If the ACM goes bad it probably will not pass the CD signal through. Firstly I would try and reset the ACM. If that does not work, find the location of the ACM and make sure all the cables are plugged in properly. I have just installed one and first thoughts were " well that ACM did not stick up there very well, pretty sure that will fall down soon", in which case it could dislodge some of the cables. I have to say though that I was impressed with all the connections so would be surprised if any came loose, unless they were not installed properly in the first place. Mine is the newest kit they made, and they did make some improvements to the fiber cables/connections from previous versions, so maybe the reason for this was the old ones vibrated loose?
If that does not work then I would remove the ACM from the loop. This was an addon, and installed in the fiber optic loop between the CD changer and head unit, hence it can be removed form the loop, and the CD changer plugged directly back into the head unit. If the CD changer then works, you know the problem is with your ACM or its cabling/fiber optic. If it does not then it could be the head unit itself. My money is on the ACM though.
Photos of my install can be found here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=50454
It will give you some idea of what you need to do to check it out yourself, and would take 1 -2 hrs to do.
NB. Your ACM will not necessarily be in the same place as I put mine, follow the USB or RCA cable from the glovebox to locate it.
Good Luck

Last edited by seamagineer; 03-14-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Originally wrote gobbledigook!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM

OK, so there is a seperate box from the USB plug in the glovebox to another module? what would cause a module to go bad?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Post 12 in the thread I gave you the link to above has the pdf file for the ACM install. It will show you all the components of the ACM, and yes the ACM itself is a separate module that connects to the usb plug/rca inputs/ ipod plug etc.
Why would the ACM go bad...I do not know, but Jaguar withdrew them from the market COMPLETELY because of issues getting them to work properly, so that tells you something. Those issues I thought were more to do with locking up the nav/radio, but they also made at least one revision to the fiber optic cables, and offered an upgrade kit to those who had bought older ACM kits. Hence I suspect there is an issue with at least some of the ACMs shipped with the original fiber optic cables, due to the cables themselves. If the cable was bad I would expect no noise at all as opposed to static, hence I am just hazarding a GUESS its your ACM.
Whatever is the problem, I'd follow the trouble shooting procedure I laid out in post #3

Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Do you get static when you try and play through the ACM as well?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM

it doesnt play through the acm at all.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

picked the car back up today from the dealer. was in for another issue so I had them look at it. and cd changer seems to be workign fine now but acm dosent seem to work at all. almost like no power to it? is there a fuse or a power lead?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Ask the dealer what they did to fix the problem. It would not surprise me if they just removed the ACM from the loop, so basically it is not plugged into your system anymore. I dont specifically remember there being a changeable fuse anywhere for it. If it was it would have been in line since this is an add on unit and gets its power from the head unit, and I presume I would have noticed it. I bet the dealer just disconnected it as opposed to fixing the ACM! Was it done under warranty?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:37 PM

they didn't charge me extra for looking at it, of course the supposed failed vaceum hose that failed wasn't under warrenty. and of course te tech who is the audio guru left early they told me I can pass back by. I would like to have the ipod connectivity but don't want to wind up paying a fortune for it. would the acm be covered under select if it was dealer installed and in the car when certified?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 PM

In your situation it should be covered. The problem is that Jaguar no longer supplies them so I do not know if they have kept any for warranty purposes or not. For those who do not currently have an ACM, even if you get hold of one and they install it for you, they still will not warranty it for even 12 minutes, let alone 12 months. However in your situation they should be able to fix it, and if not then they should cover the cost of getting you one from whereever. I'd ask them if you have the latest fiber cables since there was an upgrade, and your ACM should have the latest jaguar firmware 1.09. There is a better firmware available v2.10 which was developed after jaguar stopped supplying the ACM (it is actually a Dension Gatewayy 500 D2B interface) which you can read about in the threads I have directed you too.
Bottom line though, according to my dealer, is that if it was dealer installed and under select edition warranty, then they should fix it. Just so you know, you can buy the latest ACM kit (actually listed for the S and x type) for $385. Dealers charge about $450 for installation.
Let us know what happens!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Is there a way to check the firmware? this morning i pod worked great and cd changer not at all???

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Downloads | Firmware | User Guides | Install Guides | Configuration files

Follow this link and download the zip file for the D2B firmware. The instructions tell you how to check the firmware version.

When you cange from ipod to cd changer, is it via a switch next to the RCA inputs, and do you turn the vehicle off for 30s before turning it back on after having switched the switch from ipod(ACM) to CD changer.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 PM

I would not upgrade the firmware to anything above 1.09 until you get this issue resolved. If so jag may say its not working because you used a firmware not supported!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM

i didn't turn the car off before flipping the switch, it is next to the rca inputs. i've never had to turn car on and off before.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM

I just remember the manual saying that you MAY have to turn off the vehicle between changing between ACM and CD changer. I do not have a changer so have not had to deal with this ridiculous inconvenience. I would try that....just to see if that does actually switch between the two. If that solves it, then I'd call the dealer to see how they fixed your static issue (I would like to know what the issue was, so would appreciate it if you could find out anyway) and why you cannot just flick between the two on the go. Maybe they changed the unit/firmware or something, but I still do not see why that would be the difference.