XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Steady warning chime while in motion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Steady warning chime while in motion

I've had a cooling leak that has had me park the car for several weeks. It's not major, meaning it's not pouring water out into the street, but I can't go more than 15 minutes anywhere. I've tried to go out and take it around the block a few times to keep it exercised and charged, but I guess I've gotten lax and let it sit too long, as I got the messages "Cruise not available" and "Cannot set parkbrake" when I started it. Classic low-voltage warnings I experienced before my new battery. When I've parked it, I've bypassed the park brake set intentionally (lift the handle while removing the key,) because "Cannot set" is MUCH easier to deal with than "Cannot release!"

I went ahead and started it, and as I backed out, it began a steady chime. I stopped, and the chime stopped. I went ahead and drove around the block, and if the car is moving, the chime is steady. It's the same tone as when the key is still in the ignition when you open the door, but twice as fast. No message on the dash other than the "cannot set parkbrake," which never produced a chime before, and which goes away with the Reset button, just leaving the yellow warning light.

After the drive around the block, I did the battery-cable reset, removing the cables and touching them, but the "Cannot set parkbrake" and the chime are still there after that, although the "Cruise not available is gone."

Anybody know what that steady chime while in motion is? If it was an ABS or TC fault, I would have expected a dash message. My only message is the parkbrake, which never rang a chime before.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

it’s the parkbrake not set chime

find the DTCs. if it’s switchpack rationality you can force it to set with ODST

Old 06-10-2023, 08:51 PM

That's odd, because I had "Unable to set parkbrake" for MONTHS before replacing the battery, which I could remove with the cable-touch reset, and I NEVER had these chimes before.

I'll not worry about it for now until I can get a really good charge on the battery. Coolant leak first, so I can drive the damn thing!

Old 06-10-2023, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

ODST= On Demand Self Test (a function in IDS, WDS or SDD)

Old 06-11-2023, 11:05 AM

I don't have any of that software, just a Jaguar-specific reader for the OBD-II port. But I have an update:

A couple of hours on the battery charger and another cable-touch reset, all is well with the parkbrake and the chiming. And the chime was indeed the same chime you hear when you lift the parkbrake handle while driving, as if needing an emergency brake. Still odd that I'd never heard it before getting the new battery, when I'd have the "Cannot set parkbrake" every time I started the car.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by wfooshee
I don't have any of that software, just a Jaguar-specific reader for the OBD-II port. But I have an update:

A couple of hours on the battery charger and another cable-touch reset, all is well with the parkbrake and the chiming. And the chime was indeed the same chime you hear when you lift the parkbrake handle while driving, as if needing an emergency brake. Still odd that I'd never heard it before getting the new battery, when I'd have the "Cannot set parkbrake" every time I started the car.
when you pull the battery without a saver you reset the keep alive memory of the PAM.

when you do not do the initial setup of the parkbrake with the “apply footbrake and hold” message you get the beeper

Old 06-11-2023, 02:07 PM

In the prior reset, I still had the "Cannot set," not the "Apply footbrake" instruction. This last time I DID get that instruction, and the parkbrake works correctly.

The message "Cannot set" the previous time makes it seem like I should NOT have gotten that chime. Weird, but OK now.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
when you pull the battery without a saver you reset the keep alive memory of the PAM.

when you do not do the initial setup of the parkbrake with the “apply footbrake and hold” message you get the beeper
guess in nine years of ownership I have lucked out. What is the parking brake initialization? Sounds like I need to do this to stop the fast chimes.

Geoge