XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Steering Fluid Change.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Post Steering Fluid Change.

I am about to undergo the steering fluid change as part of my continuing All Fluids and filter change for my no history 150K miles XJ8.

JTIS has very little information on how to bleed, drain or refill the steering system.

I have read the excellent information bit of how to do it and understand the procedure. This was provided by BRUTAL back in 2010 found here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uid-r-r-33137/

I have the Dextron3 Fluid and am ready to go.

There is just one problem, I do not know which plug, cable, connector to disconnect to drain the lot so as to follow Brutal's instruction.

Therefore I have taken photo's of the bottom of the vehicle with the undertray removed ( I don't actually have that part which is bothersome!!) and would like to know in which photo is the bit that gets disconnected to allow a full drain?

Don't you just love being an Internet Mechanic??????

Your assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated. Full write up with pictures provided once completed.

Attached Thumbnails Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid01.jpg   Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid02.jpg   Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid03.jpg   Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid04.jpg   Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid05.jpg  

Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid06.jpg   Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid07.jpg   Steering Fluid Change.-steeringfluid08.jpg  

Last edited by trosty; 10-22-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added sentence
Old 04-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Trosty, did you ever do this?
I'm adding it to my list of next maintenance.

*from your pics, I'd guess the two lines going into the rack in the first picture?

I'm thinking M1 fluid and the additive, as I have a squeak.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

As far as I know, there is no single place to drain the system. It's not a normal service operation. Go for the low point...I.e. the rack, and maybe spin the motor for just a few seconds to let the pump drain the lines. You'll still have fluid trapped in the rack.

Maybe using air to blow the rack out??

Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

OK - I believe you would disconnect the rubber return line from the PS Reservoir and stick it into a suitable container to catch the spent fluid - then as you run the PS system (and fill the reservoir as you go w/ new fluid) the old PS fluid would pump out of the rack and into the catch container - keep doing so until the PS fluid coming out is clean.

Reconnect the return hose, purge any remaining air and top off the PS system.

Last edited by abonano; 04-19-2014 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davidfox (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM

cjd - here is Brutal's method:

"I drain when discolored and refill, and i like mobil 1 synthetic atf. You will get most out buy pulling the lines off the steering rack in the air and this drains coolaer, reservoir and lines. Then sloooowly turn the wheel side to side to clear the steering rack. Hook the lines back up, refill the resvoir and with the engine off turn the wheels lock to lock to work the fluid in by gravity. Topp up again, start for a few seconds, shut off, add as needed, now restart and turn the wheels slowly side to side and hold on all the way on the lock each side to achieve max pressure. Run and set to correct level. If too high use a turkey baister to suck out excess. *** long as you dont run the pump dry youre ok, even momentary dry isnt gonna hurt, but just follow above and you shouldnt have any issues. And yes there are power steering coolers on the cars cause they're subjected to hi heat and pressure and fluid should be changed as needed if you don't want to buy $3-4k worth of steering system repairs...(a jag rack is over $2k, yes I know you can rebuild cheaper for all those who want to post after this that they can get a rack for $X amount)"

abonano - yes, I've heard of this method too with Audi's, but which is the feed and which is the return line for the PS reservoir?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

mine had a drain hose on the rack, or did I pull the wrong thing?
I forgot to take a pic, but can go back.
There was a rubber hose clipped to the back of the rack, one end was blocked by a plug held in place by a clamp, the other end was attached to the union on the rack.
I took the plug out and put the hose into an empty container and drained into that.
Fluid is still frothy, so I guess I have a leak somewhere and air is getting back in?

Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

So that's what that hose is for!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cooldood
mine had a drain hose on the rack, or did I pull the wrong thing?
I forgot to take a pic, but can go back.
There was a rubber hose clipped to the back of the rack, one end was blocked by a plug held in place by a clamp, the other end was attached to the union on the rack.
I took the plug out and put the hose into an empty container and drained into that.
Fluid is still frothy, so I guess I have a leak somewhere and air is getting back in?

would love to see a pic of that!

it sounds like you might just be low on fluid (or high) it tends to foam when the level is wrong; I'd go with Brutal's method of checking the level.