XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Steering Wheel Vibration Saga

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 02:32 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by OnebadassXJR
No one has an updated "what actually cured this problem" story?
I feel your pain.
The thing is, there have been dozens of causes listed, all valid. And apparently you have elimininated most of them. There is no "single cause".
May I ask the forum "what about the steering box - do they ever wear out or could cause it?" It's like, "what's left"?

Incidentally, you said you changed some control arms and the wobble became "100x worse". Wouldn't that point to a problem in the control arms or their installation, albeit not in the direction you hoped? But it's what you said, "control arms made it worse". Or were you doing multiple things at once.

Although nowadays it is not recommended to rotate tyres, I'd at least try rotating the tyres just to see what happens. New or not.

At some stage you said your brakes were a bit draggy. I can't remember if you eliminated that. My Honda Elysion has steering wheel wobble on braking, but I'm a clever b'tard and noticed it only happens when I brake...skimming the disks seems either expensive or perhaps not even available.

It just has to be one or more things already mentioned?

>>No one has an updated "what actually cured this problem" story?<<
"ask not what your country can do for your XJ — ask what your XJ can do for your country."

Last edited by ChrisMills; 07-13-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisMills

Incidentally, you said you changed some control arms and the wobble became "100x worse". Wouldn't that point to a problem in the control arms or their installation, albeit not in the direction you hoped? But it's what you said, "control arms made it worse". Or were you doing multiple things at once.

Although nowadays it is not recommended to rotate tyres, I'd at least try rotating the tyres just to see what happens. New or not.

At some stage you said your brakes were a bit draggy. I can't remember if you eliminated that. My Honda Elysion has steering wheel wobble on braking, but I'm a clever b'tard and noticed it only happens when I brake...skimming the disks seems either expensive or perhaps not even available.

It just has to be one or more things already mentioned?

>>No one has an updated "what actually cured this problem" story?<<
"ask not what your country can do for your XJ — ask what your XJ can do for your country."
My alignment guy said that I didnt replace the bananas and that is bad and that vibe (now that all other arms are new) is now hyper projecting that vibe through them being the weakest link? I dunno. I cant go anywhere now cause 90% of my driving is highway this car BLOWS!

Old 07-13-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

We may not be helping much, but everyone is trying Badass.

The following users liked this post:
OnebadassXJR (07-14-2021)