XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Stereo is....... Weak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stereo is....... Weak :0/

So, I THINK the amp on the stereo is going out. As much as I want to defend the original system. It really does sound like ten bags of Eartha Kitt (look up Cockney rhyming slang for a true definition) and is a disappointment to what I was expecting. I know my way round a system and everything (balance, bass etc) is where I want it.

I do NOT have the system set to AVC but the volume on the system fluctuates intermittently. More than anything, If I’m playing music at full volume, it seems to die during the highs of a track (the loudest part) and then slowly rises again until the next pouch of sound then dies again. The speed of the car doesn’t seem to make a difference. If i can find a way to fix the fluctuating volume, I'll be happy to keep the original system. which lets face it.... A jaguar should always keep.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix/location of the stereo amp if this is the culprit?

Last edited by Christian Pugh; 06-16-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Christian, first off that's a beautiful car! I wanted that color blue so bad but couldn't find it anywhere even remotely near me and don't have it in the budget to get the car repainted lol.

As for your question, it depends which stereo setup your car came with. If I remember correctly (It's been a while since I've been online sadly) there are 3 different radio "packages" that were available; Premium, Audiophile, and Portfolio. I'm going to assume you have either Premium or Audiophile since the Portfolio option was included with the Super V8.

Do you know if you have two sub-woofers mounted in the rear deck or speakers up on the dash? That would help determine which package you have. If you have the standard setup without subwoofers you're likely running on just the head-unit without an amp unless the 06 and 04 models vary significantly.

If you have an amp though it should be on the left hand side of the trunk behind the carpet liner and is pretty straightforward to get to.

There are tons of great posts here about audio upgrades and OEM replacements/repairs I'm sure you'll be able to find all the help you need if you search around a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Christian Pugh (07-01-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes that's a very nice blue color... custom paint job?

My car's Alpine stereo is also crap. My Prius' 8-speaker JBL system sounds way better. Not a problem, I listen to mostly NPR and talk radio when driving anyway.

Christian Pugh (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply both Revonok & Wolfy. Im sorry for the late reply myself, I've been out of town. and Wolfy, yep original paint. I actually parked next to a newer XF today that was identical in color lol (Paint code JJX)

Right, I do have speakers in the front dash (well vents for them, if there is anything in there is to be determined) I pulled the carpet back in the trunk and no amp so I'm going to assume she is running off the head unit only, and nothing on the rear parcel shelf. This car really is a mix and match job. She has the richer wood, paint, wheels and sports grill BUT she is actually a base L model in other respects it seems. She seems like a Friday afternoon rush job before the gates closed at Browns Lane lol.

I DID actually try resetting the car by way of the negative lead cross over in hopes it would fix this, the global locking issue and the ASL but no cigar.

Seems more tinkering will be required. Again... Thanks for the replies :0)

Last edited by Christian Pugh; 07-01-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Might be the speakers

Originally Posted by Christian Pugh
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply both Revonok & Wolfy. Im sorry for the late reply myself, I've been out of town. and Wolfy, yep original paint. I actually parked next to a newer XF today that was identical in color lol (Paint code JJX)

Right, I do have speakers in the front dash (well vents for them, if there is anything in there is to be determined) I pulled the carpet back in the trunk and no amp so I'm going to assume she is running off the head unit only, and nothing on the rear parcel shelf. This car really is a mix and match job. She has the richer wood, paint, wheels and sports grill BUT she is actually a base L model in other respects it seems. She seems like a Friday afternoon rush job before the gates closed at Browns Lane lol.

I DID actually try resetting the car by way of the negative lead cross over in hopes it would fix this, the global locking issue and the ASL but no cigar.

Seems more tinkering will be required. Again... Thanks for the replies :0)
My XJR has the subs. The door speakers were very tired. On removal these are very cheap Alpine speakers. I installed some better speakers in the doors.
The subs are more like midranges. 6 1/2" and free air mounted. Hard to find a 6 1/2 that is designed to be used without a sealed box.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
My XJR has the subs. The door speakers were very tired. On removal these are very cheap Alpine speakers. I installed some better speakers in the doors.
The subs are more like midranges. 6 1/2" and free air mounted. Hard to find a 6 1/2 that is designed to be used without a sealed box.
The best suggestion I can make for the Alpine amplified system is Tang Band's 6.5" sub driver. Fs is around 35~38Hz. 13mm xmax.

Last edited by Box; 07-01-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anyone had success replacing the midbass door speakers in a non-amplified system? I'm looking for something to replace the OEM but don't want to blow the head unit and I just don't have time to do a full blown audio upgrade with an added amp right now.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

I thought my alpine system in my 05 was very weak, sure didn't sound like 300 watts or whatever the claim was.
The door speakers are known to break/come loose at the soldering point where the wires attach, the fix is to solder in a little jumper wire. I found two of mine were almost without sound after isolating each speaker, so I did the jumper fix to them all.

MUCH IMPROVED.

You can search for jumper wire, or it's in an old post of mine, someone had pictures of the jumpers.

viper1996 (04-13-2017)