XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

The Story Of Two Super V8's

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 09:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Story Of Two Super V8's

If this is a bit poor grammar wise, I ask you forgive my dyslexia. ANYHOO! Now, don't go hating on me But I have given a temporary home to two "Super 8's" as I call them. I am not sure how many of them are out there, but I constantly look for them all over the USA. I retired because of medical issues. But I love bringing jags back to life that have seen better days. Pretty much exclusively from 2000 to 2006. The Super 8 is a car you can find if you are patient and have a lot of spare cash. I have found out though, unless you are a collector. Well, most people are scared away from keeping them too much longer than 100k miles. Which is sad because I have found most of the XJ8s. Especially 2003 to 2007 models are much more reliable than what their reputation would lead you to believe. As for me I have an investor who puts up the cash for the cars, I do the interior and body work while we had a 3rd partner who would tackle the mechanical stuff for us. The money person gets whatever profit we make, while my mechanic friend and I got to drive and lovingly restore these beautiful cars. Honestly though, pretty much any Jag is a work of art more than just a car to my eyes. The really sad part of this story is that my mechanic... was also my friend, as we went to high school together. Last year he unexpectedly died of Covid... he was only 51 years old. This was right before my other partner, and I, picked up a beautiful 2001 seafrost XKR with a British Racing Green top. He fixed a few things on the car, before he passed away but, it still had the kind of minor things that are bound to go amiss with a car that is over 20 years old. The Super 8's I have a hand in restoring, were both wonderful cars! I had to drive out of state to get them. The Jaguar Racing Green was in Saint Lewis, and the Ebony was in Tulsa Oklahoma. Since I am disabled now and, rarely can put in more than an hour a day at a time... Going on these trips has been a real treasure to me, I couldn't possibly begin to do justice, by trying to describe what this means to me. It was a gift to drive the XKR from Northern California 1800 miles back to Texas. My better half and I got to park a Jaguar Valet at The MGM Grand in Fabulous Las Vegas. For a poor farmer's son from a little town in West Texas, to do that is something I thought I would never get a chance to do. All my life, I have never personally owned a vehicle before, that wasn't at least 20 years old(and not a Jag) or a 10-year-old (at the newest) motorcycle.
You see, friends, there is more to my story. I was hit by a car while was crossing the street back in 96, and despite years of doctors and physical therapy, I have never fully recovered. Now it may not seem like much to you: From where Isit you are all so very very lucky. You see friends, you actually get to put your name on a title of one of the most Iconic moving pieces of art in history. Don't get me wrong though. Instead of seeing another obstacle, I made a wonderful solution come to pass. At least for a few months out of the year, I get to do the next best thing. I get to borrow somebody else's dream, like the kids in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I know this one thing: I have gotten to drive several of these beautiful cars, starting a few years ago. Which is where the Jags play a role in my story, if I may continue. One of my doctors, who in 1997 said I would never walk right again without something to help me stand. He told me that, I should just quit and accept reality that, I will for the rest of my life be... disabled. Well, a lot of other people also told me over the years: my dreams were impossible. However, many years of hard work and determination, had proven him wrong. I decided to meet him in the parking lot at his office. I gave him my cane, the one with the Jaguar leaper on the top, and told him who I was... He did a triple take at me... and back to the car... that I had parked outside of his office. I said I Decided to choose to take the side of hope: to make a better life for myself, no matter how hard It was going to be or, how many battles I would have to fight. I had a dream that one day instead of riding in a wheelchair for the rest of my life that someday I would mechanically bring back to life some of the most beautiful cars ever made, and I would find a way that would also enable me ,to drive Jaguars as well.

2005 Super V8 SAJWA82B05TG46038

2005 Super V8: SAJWA82B15TG39292 2005 Jaguar XJ8 VDP: SAJWA82C05SG45258
Me and my late friend "Dumpy." RIP Buddy

2001 XKR This is my current labor of love that I have gotten pretty much squared away. Even though it breaks my heart, I have to sell it. My other partner is newly retired and is counting on me to at a minimum make the money she invested back.

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 09:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Great read!

Thanks for sharing the stories, highs as well as lows. One cannot own these cars for 20 or 30 years without having some of each. Sorry you can't hang onto that XK8. Another cat will come your way, maybe not perfect, but yours. Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2024, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 673 Posts

Keeping at it helps you to forget about your injured body.
My disabillity, has given me the childhood, i missed.
Count your blessings, never complain, & good things will happen