XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

STP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
The biggest gain for those who use such products may be the (quite possibly false) reassurance they feel. They can probably afford the money.

Sort of a placebo effect.
The 'feel good' factor.

I'm not disparaging it. I've made lots of choices based on what makes me feel good....knowing full well that I will probably never realize any meaningful benefit.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Although I've been out of the game for a few years, I spent 30 years working in dealership service and parts departments, 23 of them in management...and about that many selling BG products.

I could probably spend a couple hours on the subject of BG products but it's early and I'm only a couple sips into my first cuppa coffee so I'll just make few random-ish remarks.

BG sells many stand-alone products plus many products that go along with a service process using BG supplied equipment: fuel injector flushing, power steering flushing, and the like. On the whole I would say that BG products perform as advertised....at least the ones that didn't require scientific testing to know if the service was effective or not. Cars that came in with noisy power steering left the shop with quiet power steering, for example.

BG products...at least to the extent and period that I was involved with using them....also has an extremely effective and insidious sales/marketing schemes. Once they "get their hooks into ya" it almost like being indoctrinated into a cult.

I'm perfectly willing to believe, then and now, that BG oil additive isn't snake oil. I'm sure it does 'something'. But, is it necessary? Useful? Is there a real-world tangible benefit that a typical owner could feel, hear, measure, evaluate? My opinion, no. That's why I never got on-board with BG oil additives despite promoting many other BG products.....very much to the chagrin the BG Products.

The world is plum full of cars with 150-200-250k miles, with engines still running like a watch, that have never seen BG products. For that matter, more often than not they've been serviced with utter nonchalance. That is, no concern whatsoever about the products being used. I can cite many examples. For just one, I'll mention my own XJR: I didn't use additives, bought whatever brand oil and filter was on sale that day, and used a 6000 miles interval. When I sold it at 171k miles the engine was smoke-free, noise-free, had great compression, and was running as sweet as a nut. I'm betting the new owner will easily see 250k miles using the same diet.

This is similar to the endless debate over engine oil in general. Lots of people do what makes them feel good but their engines really don't care or notice.

Let's take 50 identical cars, half with BG additive from day one, half without, and drive them 250k-300k miles under similar conditions. Then do compression tests followed by full engine teardowns to measure wear....as a month's pay says that's what will be needed to determine of the additive was effective in a technical sense. And, even then, effective in a technical sense isn't the same as useful in a real world "Have I gained anything meaningful?" sense.

Cheers
DD
TBN's have been decreasing in amounts since the 80's and extended service intervals, up to 10k to 15k, can and does deplete TBN. A simple analysis can reveal that. Second, esters (Group 5) give the product a very unique protection, without the expense of using Group 5 ester synthetic oils in the crankcase. (roughly $25 a liter, if you can find it)

You don't need 50, just take 2, use your pick for oil, add MOA to one. Run them until warm, drain the oil. Restart. Get a stop watch. Ready... begin... Axiomatic.

What I find amazing, is that folks will spend inordinate amounts of cash on their vehicle for various reasons and not think a thing about it, but when it comes to an additive to help protect one of the most vital components, somehow some strange set of gears get engaged in the brain, and 10~15 bucks becomes unthinkable, when most service intervals are once or twice a year. (SMH)

Last edited by Box; 02-22-2018 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Datsports (02-24-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
You don't need 50, just take 2, use your pick for oil, add MOA to one. Run them until warm, drain the oil. Restart. Get a stop watch. Ready... begin... Axiomatic.

Yeah, I've seen the demo, up-front-and-personal, many times over the years. Actually the first I remember was in the mid 80s and the product wasn't "BG" but "MOC", as I recall.

I suppose if a person intended to run their engine with an empty sump then they'd surely see a valid real-world usefulness to the product.

What I find amazing, is that folks will spend inordinate amounts of cash on their vehicle for various reasons and not think a thing about it, but when it comes to an additive to help protect one of the most vital components, somehow some strange set of gears get engaged in the brain, and 10~15 bucks becomes unthinkable, when most service intervals are once or twice a year. (SMH)

If you feel, or have been convinced, that you're adding a *necessary protection* it surely seems like money well spent. If you feel that non-treated motor oil will do the job perfectly well for the next 150-200-300k miles then you'd probably feel it is money ill-spent.

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I suppose if a person intended to run their engine with an empty sump then they'd surely see a valid real-world usefulness to the product.
This kind of an argument, is kind of silly. However, there are, even on this forum, posts where for whatever the case or the problem, where oil was purged, and engine seizure was reported. That in itself, is worth a very cheap insurance, and that doesn't even take into account reduced wear and the benefits of increased detergent quality.

Same argument you present could be a great rational as to why not buy insurance, because no one plans on having an accident, therefor, you don't need it... until you do.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (02-24-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
This kind of an argument, is kind of silly. However, there are, even on this forum, posts where for whatever the case or the problem, where oil was purged, and engine seizure was reported. That in itself, is worth a very cheap insurance, and that doesn't even take into account reduced wear and the benefits of increased detergent quality.

Same argument you present could be a great rational as to why not buy insurance, because no one plans on having an accident, therefor, you don't need it... until you do.

Yeah, if you view it as 'insurance' that's one way to rationalize it. I'll buy that. Each of weighs our exposure and makes decisions accordingly. Some are more risk averse than others.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-17-2023, 07:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
It's a Forum, no Technical or Engineering credentials required.

Does being YouTube certified count for anything here,?