XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Strange Warning Bell when Putting my XJR into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Warning Bell when Putting my XJR into Reverse

Hi everyone. I've had my 2008 XJR for two years now and store it in my brother's garage over the winter. This past Sunday, I went to start up the car for the 3rd time since early Nov. and back it onto the driveway. Immediately when I put the car into reverse, I got what I can only describe as a two-tone, fast warning-bell alert. I backed the car 1/2 way out of my brothers' garage and put the car into park, at which point the warning bell stopped. I ran the car for about 20 minutes and pulled back in. Somewhere within that time, I also noticed that the amber engine signal had also come on. I'm certain that he alert bell when putting the car into reverse was definitely not the park distance sensor, as that also came on until the car was clear of objects.

I came back and started the car up once again an hour or so later and got that same unusual two-tone fast warning bell when I put the car in reverse. For what it's worth, the amber engine light stayed on as well.

I've searched the owners manual but can't find anything that describes a two tone fast warning bell. The sound immediately stops when putting the car into P, N, or D.

Any idea what this warning might be? Any chance it's just some unusual gremlin do the car being idle (other than having also started it in early Dec. and January) and cold?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

David

Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

it might be a fault in the rear park sensors, in the manual i think it lists them making a different beep when there is an error

The following users liked this post:
Minndavid60 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Great observation. That sure seems plausible. While I'm pretty sure I did hear the park distance sensors working, in that tight garage space it's certainly possible I only heard the front sensors. Let me look for that in the manual when I go back to his house in early March.

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I accidentally discovered the precise tone you are speaking of the other day and it is indeed separate and distinct from any other chime.

To re-create this sound, try to shift into reverse while the car is off. Even without the key in the ignition, this alarm will go off.

As for why your car is doing this while the ignition is on, I really don't know. But maybe it has something to do with the ignition key position. I know my car has a very sloppy ignition that will let the key turn easily regardless of whether the car is on or not.

I suppose if the key is not in exactly the right position, this alarm would sound. Just a guess.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

My car was totally encased in ice this morning, put in in reverse & got alternating tones from the front & rear park sensor speakers, dee-duh-dee-duh-dee-duh etc... sounded like a police siren from an 80's computer game.

It was because the sensors front & rear were covered in ice. After turning off the front sensors it stopped. Might be the same thing you've experienced?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Probably irrelevant but always suspect a low battery whenever these ladies start behaving oddly.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Great feedback everyone! While my car is garaged and covered, it has been very cold here this winter, so I'm thinking that perhaps the extreme cold has at least temporarily played some havoc on the sensors' operation. Cambo--that sound you described sounds exactly like my sound. A low battery could also be a culprit, although I do keep a trickle charger on all winter. When I start the car in early March, I will first see if the sound repeats when in reverse and if it does, I will then turn off the sensors (I can only turn off both, I believe rather than just the rear ones) and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone! If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Let us know the outcome - it helps others.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Will do!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To all... I still recommend trying shifting into reverse while the ignition is off just for giggles.

I have a 2006 VDP and this particular car emits a very odd, almost angry sound when doing this.

May/may not be related but it was funny to discover it after all these months I've had the car.

My car has both front and rear parking sensors and these sound very different than the transmission nanny.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Funna tings happens, My 358 has been in garage for 12 weeks and yesterday I starten it and put in reverse and the tone started and did not stoppad before I disengage the parking help.
It is nice car with almost no miles on the clock, but every error described in this forum I have !

Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Not sure I ever closed the loop here. When I went to start the car in March (on a warmer day than when I started it in Feb.), the strange warning bell disappeared and has not reappeared. Chalking it up to the extremly cold couple of weeks spell we had prior to my starting the car up in Februrary.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm experiencing a completely different issue with the car stalling in stop and go traffic and the amber check engine symbol light coming on. Will start a different thread.