XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

strut mount by itself

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default strut mount by itself

Previous owner of my 04 xj8 put coilovers in but left old mounts at the top. My mechanic (not at a dealer) says mounts need replacement due to looseness and give. I can only find lower strut bushing (little cylinder with rubber insides) from sources on web. The clunking over rough surfaces is super annoying. What can be done? Who has these upper mounts? Thank you.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 13,092 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Originally Posted by thomash85715
Previous owner of my 04 xj8 put coilovers in but left old mounts at the top. My mechanic (not at a dealer) says mounts need replacement due to looseness and give. I can only find lower strut bushing (little cylinder with rubber insides) from sources on web. The clunking over rough surfaces is super annoying. What can be done? Who has these upper mounts? Thank you.
The original air springs/dampers bolt right to the suspension towers, which are aluminum castings bonded to the body monocoque. There are no separate "upper mounts" to be loose.

I don't know what brand of coilovers were installed on your car, but the Arnott coilovers I've installed on a few cars just bolt into the suspension towers, also with no separate upper mounts.

Can you post a photo or two of your units and how they mount at the top?

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (02-03-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Just done a Strutmaster coil over conversion to mine and they, like the Arnott ones Don has done just bolt straight to the top of the towers too with no separate mounts either.
Can't wait to see the photos.

The following 2 users liked this post by Knobby:
AD2014 (02-03-2017), Don B (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is all for now until I can get underneath with lights and stuff to try and reveal top of the struts which I have never laid eyes on.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 13,092 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Originally Posted by thomash85715
This is all for now until I can get underneath with lights and stuff to try and reveal top of the struts which I have never laid eyes on.

I don't think you'll be able to see the top of the coilover unit from the wheel well because of how it tucks up into the tower. The four threaded studs you can see on top of the tower are mounted directly to the top of the coilover.

I'm wondering if your mechanic isn't concerned about top mounts because the shock absorber shafts are not centered in the hole in the top of the coilover unit. That may simply be a matter of the angle at which the lower end of the shock absorber connects to the control arm. But if there is improper play, the only source for replacement bushings and mounts is probably the company that made the coilover conversion units. I don't know if you could expect the Jaguar-style lower shock bushings to fit, and there are no other components of the original Jaguar/Bilstein air spring/damper units that are user-replaceable.

Could you ask the previous owner what brand of coilovers were installed? Arnott Industries is probably the best-known source.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (02-03-2017)