XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Strutmaster coilover price drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that if you can get an X351 setup at a cost effective price (that's really the main reason for not going the stock set up for me anyway) go for it!

but the strut mounts / tops are really not a complicated thing folks... Its just a S type mount with an adapter ring welded on top to make the bolt pattern match. I can take detailed pics and measurements if anyone wants. I think they could be fabed by any competent welder for a decent price. stock S type mounts run about 50 bucks a pop.

I'm for anyone doing anything they want with their own cars. Please be safe, and please share!

That's the point of these forums, right? For us all to get great info and tips... not just to preach purist dogma!

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-11-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

For me, the x351's complete package is redundant, as they still use rear air suspension. I'd rather just keep all four stock air shocks if I had the choice.

I'd be interested to see some close up pics and measurements of the adapters. If I don't use them, I'm sure other forum members would find it useful.

With Bilsteins, H and R springs, and modified S Type top mounts, it'd cost basically the same as the Strutmasters. But you'd get a lowered stance and better handling. The Strutmasters are obviously nice because they're a direct bolt on and come with a warranty for the package.

I'm also still concerned with whether or not the S Type springs would make the rear end sag too much on the XJ. I asked in another thread and am awaiting a response. One user's ride sat level, while another's did not.

The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

All pictures I've seen have shown the XJ to sit about an inch lower than the S-Type using OEM S-Type struts and springs. Lowering springs would be a bad idea.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...version-79499/

Last edited by Torrid; 11-11-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
For me, the x351's complete package is redundant, as they still use rear air suspension. I'd rather just keep all four stock air shocks if I had the choice.
Well, not exactly, as the front shocks are those most prone to fail, so that replacing them by coilovers is not that bad an idea, and the rears are those ensuring a softer and more comfortable damping and a good leveling when the car is fully loaded.
I don't know however if Jaguar decided to put the X351 compressor in an area less exposed to cold and water as it is in the low front area of the X350, I'd say yes as logically it should be installed in the rear, close to the rear only shocks.
So, overall not a stupid move from X350/358 to X351

Old 11-12-2016, 10:15 AM

I agree that the rear is the most susceptible to being weighed down, and that the air bags in the rear only would be most useful. I just came across a short thread where this was discussed almost two years ago.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-350-a-136998/

Unless the parts prices have come down or are more readily available, it sounds as if the x351 suspension swap is not economical at all.

There was also a member on here that had a half converted x350 (stock setup, but had installed coilovers in the front only....if I'm not mistaken he was halfway through the full conversion or perhaps was trying for fronts only, I don't remeber) and he had ASM issues and couldn't get the faults cleared up...sounded like a headache.

Torrid, I'd be curious to see how low you can safely go with a coilover swap on this car...

Last edited by chillyphilly; 11-12-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

When I had air suspension issues and it was sitting a bit low it didn't take much to high center over things with the long wheel base. 1-1.5 drop springs on S-Type struts would likely be tucking tire into all 4 corners. The camber in the rear would be a massive problem.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Default Another satisifed customer...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-156201/page4/

Lagonia

Default Very, *VERY* happy!
I have just completed the conversion and I just came back from a short test drive. *THE FREAKING CLUNK IS GONE!!!* I am so happy. I spent all that money on unnecessary parts thinking it could not possibly be the Arnott's shocks but it was - the source of the clunk was the Arnott's air shocks.

My initial impressions of the ride quality are very positive! I was concerned about a really harsh drive but under normal driving conditions the ride quality is superb. Need to put through its paces of course but its nice knowing you have a suspension that won't leave you stranded.

Thumbs up for Strutmasters.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:06 PM

Update. And not a good one.... First time anyone has seen this...but it warrants posting here!

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Shocking! I was taking my wife to dinner about 8 miles away for our house going about 20 mph when I heard a loud bang!! Stepped out and saw the right rear tire buried in the well. I limped it home and put it on the lift and that is what I found. The spring let go.

WTF?

Right rear tire buried in the well

Left rear strut: That is the way it is supposed to look

Right rear strut: The spring let go. Poor quality? Workmanship? Strutmasters will hear from me.

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-13-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:08 PM

Its a developing situation. will post updates ASAP...

No damage. A loud bang and sinking of the right rear. I inspected the area and at first sight, nothing looked out of the ordinary. I'll update the thread after I have a little chat with them tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:25 PM

I was planning the forementioned hybrid... looks like i'll just drop the 400 bucks and get real Bilsteins now. My only concern with the SM units had been those plain black shocks anyways. BETTER SAFE THAN...DEAD

Old 11-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

Looks like the item that failed is the steel mount that the spring sits on. This should be an easy fix. Strutmaster can send a replacement. If you trust the other three.
The springs sure would look nice mounted on a set of the green Bilsteins w eCATS.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:21 PM

OK..ordered.

Bilstein 24-067430 Monotube Shock Absorber, Front, 36mm
can be had at autoplicity.com for 98.48 each+ 10 bucks for shipping

Bilstein 24-067720 Monotube Shock Absorber, Rear, 46mm
can be had for $81.00 each plus free shipping on a close out special at tirerack.com they only have 2 more left!

The rears are getting hard to find. Good luck getting the damptronic CATS compatable ones! Expensive, IF you can find them. Im happy to drop under $370.00 for the peace of mind of real Bilsteins...no matter what Strutmasters tells him. Ill post pics and tear down of SM units ASAP.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Am I missing something here ? I am curious about swapping out my AB's for a coil over and decided to check Strutmasters. I found the kit is $999.00 and asked the online help person what shocks came with it. She clearly stated there own, made right here in the US and they are similar to Monroe or KYB. This said, I assume those who have done the conversion are opting for other shocks, as stated ? I have no interest in the multiple parts project though as I would prefer one companies components so I have a warranty. Thoughts ? Anyone get there kit (beside whats mentioned here) and get the Strutmaster shocks ?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Hmmm well that's interesting. The rep I talked to stated very clearly they were Bilsteins or Sachs. If they are in fact their own in house strut, I'll go elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

I hate to say "I told you".... but

Old 11-14-2016, 02:21 PM

Box...WTFE man. His problem started because of a bad air strut replacement. These cars simply are not worth enough for most to shell out nearly $4,000 on airsprings that will fail again. Plus.. you can't even get the OE sport unit from Bilstein anymore so please spare us all with your "I told you so" BS.

It was a bad snap ring. **** happens.

They are sending a replacement strut out, no questions asked. When I am back at the shop after work today, I will remove it and figure out exactly what happened. It appeared that the snap ring broke off letting the spring perch loose. That is what Strutmasters is going with. The strut is Bilstein - that is their claim - it is clearly shown in their invoice.

It is disheartening. I did leave *all* the air apparatus in the car. It will be fairly easy to put back 4 air bags and replace the F12 fuse that controls the air suspension. I will have to do some more forensics.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:12 PM

Remember...

1)The S type R weighs within 100 pounds of the X358 and has the same engine.

2) It even shares the same controll arms (as does the Lincoln LS... purist snobs)

3) Arnott coilovers are pretty much the same set up, but with all generic springs and mystery shocks.

4) This was an isolated incident. Its never been reported on this forum or on any other forum ive ever been able to find.

5)Torrid and myself are still happy with our SM units..but its still anyone's guess as to which shocks they actually use. SM reps have said differnt things to different people

6) All S Type shocks, no matter who makes them all use the same snap ring setup. INCLUDING BILSTEINS!!!!

My hybrid build will have the same Bilsteins as on the S type R (non-damptronic version) detailed pics and review as soon as they get here and I install them. (by end of month.)

Thats what Ive seen and verified. Trying to help with knoledge and research here folks.. not just backseat driving / armchair quarterbacking.

Do with it what you will.

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-14-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by 04XJR
Box...WTFE man. His problem started because of a bad air strut replacement. These cars simply are not worth enough for most to shell out nearly $4,000 on airsprings that will fail again. Plus.. you can't even get the OE sport unit from Bilstein anymore so please spare us all with your "I told you so" BS.

It was a bad snap ring. **** happens.
Take a deep breath. Count to 10, take another deep breath....

Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 PM

blah blah blah box...

Anyway mystery solved. Not a real big deal and easily checked..

It was indeed a manufacturing defect. The strut was assembled *incorrectly* as shown in the pictures below. I verified the left strut and it appears to have been assembled correctly. Looking at this, it makes total sense that it failed. I am surprised that it lasted 20 miles.

Had this been something not obvious or an early structural failure, I would have removed the struts from the car and gone back to air. However, I am willing to install the replacement that comes in and give it a good whirl....

Old 11-14-2016, 07:42 PM

There are great people on these forums that will help you, and share their ACTUAL experiences and knowledge so that you can make informed decsions..Like Lagonia, Caldoofy, Sochi2014, etc. They push us all forward and help keep these cars alive.

Then there are some others who's "two cents" are nothing but criticisms and conjecture (no, the XF strutmout WONT fit the X350), and are rarely worth pennies on the dollar. I hate to say it, but I've never seen these types on the Saab or Alfa Romeo forums..but definetly have seen them on the Mercedes forums. Hmm...

Choose your own adventure.