XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suddenly, no more audio in my "new" XJ8!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly, no more audio in my "new" XJ8!

A month ago I purchased my fourth Jaguar, a 2004 XJ8 (in the stunning Jaguar Racing Green) with less than 30k on it.

Last week I, after I reloaded the CD changer cartridge with new discs, two symptoms appeared simultaneously in the sound system:
  1. No more audio output in any source mode (although VOLUME and MUTE displays "work" on the NAV screen).
  2. The CDC doesn't come on (i.e. no display in NAV screen), although single player operates (but no sound).
This car is equiped with Premium Sound and the fuse to the power amp is good. The D2B fiber optic cable plugged into the power amp appears to be in good order. I would have jumped to the conclusion that the amp is bad, but with the concurrent CDC malfunction, I am leaning more towards the CDC as a root cause...

Any ideas??

Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts
Default No sound

I have had this problem but the sound came back quite soon of it's own accord.I am suspicious of the fibre optic connection at the rear of the screen and I believe that you can disconnect that end and look for light flashes in the end of the D2b, but of course you would need to access it.Can't help there I'm afraid.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

The D2B is in a loop configuration. Any break in the loop will disable anything else on the loop. For instance, if your amplifier fails you will lose the connection to the cd changer because the amplifier is no longer passing along the information on the fiber line.

Amp problems are common on the '04 models. There is a service bulletin for this. It is due to water ingress through the body seam at the trunk run channel near the left side hinge. You can inspect the amplifier and see if it has any water staining which would be a giveaway to damage caused by water. It only takes a couple of drops of water to cause damage so even the slightest staining is reason to remove the amplifier and inspect or have it tested. The fix in the serrvice bulletin is just to apply body sealer to the body seam and verify no water ingress before replacing the amp.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced momentary loss of sound from my '08 XJ8 VDP radio/CD entertainment system just two days ago. All the displays showed volume was on, radio stations on and/or CD was playing but no sound. I do not recall any moisture that may have penetrated the trunk. The weather was dry on the day of the occurance. Anyhow, after stopping for 30 minutes and then restaring; I had sound. I do not have the CDC just the navi and Alpine AM/FM single CD. I checked TSB's before purchasing this car but did not recognize any covering this fault. Anuyhow, I'll check the amp area as recommended and report any other events. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple weeks ago I too had a lapse of 2-3 seconds with no sound coming from the "cd" playing. I had the ACM installed after I purchased the car, with the dealer warning me of possible problems to which they would not warranty the unit. Well now after countless attempts of resetting the ACM and reconnecting the i-pod it still will not connect with the sound system. I am setting an appointment with the dealer to take a look. I'll sure pass along any info if they find something wrong.
Jeff

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Real_Tech this D2B fiber optic line does it connect the FM antenna to the back of the radio? If not what kind of connection is the FM antenna, is it the typical male antenna/female radio type? This is on a 2004 XJ8 with c/d changer in the trunk. Thanks George.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

D2B is for digital audio signal only.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks everybody for your input. I guess I will need to troubleshoot the D2B fiber optic loop and check the amp for moisture.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by gdcont
Hi Real_Tech this D2B fiber optic line does it connect the FM antenna to the back of the radio? If not what kind of connection is the FM antenna, is it the typical male antenna/female radio type? This is on a 2004 XJ8 with c/d changer in the trunk. Thanks George.
Yes it is a normal male cable female radio but the connector is tiny compared to most others. I haven't seen one with a proper adapter installed for a modulator or anything like that. Most I have seen with aftermarket installs have hacked and cut up the cable.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info. My reason for asking is I'm trying to connect an Ipod to my '04 XJ8 without buying the ACM. There's a company that developed for the antique car hobby an module that plugs into the antenna hole at the back of the radio and the antenna plugs into it. This fools the radio into thinking that the signal it provides is the strongest signal for that frequency. They have a module coming for FM but it uses the traditional male antenna/female radio set-up. So I would have to find an adapter set up. Check it out at Rediscoverradio.com. The link is RediRad-FM. George

Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 AM

Interesting George. Iin a differet car I have used a similar setup that inserts the audio signal into the antenna path directly: it's called FM Direct by Delphi. Being designed for XM radios it only has an input for the satellite antenna, but otherwise it appears to be the same prinicple used in the RediRad-FM. The sound quality is outstanding (OK, not as good as a digital input but way better than FM modulated) and you never have to keep changing the frequency due to crosstalk.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Yes it does sound promising. The person at RediRad that I spoke with is going to phone me when they are available sometime in March. With the 60 day trail I don't think I could lose. George

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Getting this thread back on track. Ive had 2005 XJ8 at the independent shop. He has a scanner and everthing. Its been there for a complete month and he cannot figure out what is wrong with mine. I also dont have sound from the speakers no matter where the volume is at. He used a jumper fiber optics cable from another car to jump the accesories, and still no sound. He tried another amp and still no sound. He was going to jump to the conclusion that it was the fiber optics cable but I dont want to just replace parts to figure out what it is wrong. I will be getting the car back next week after the failed attempt. I am scarred to take it to the dealer because I fear it is the cable and it they replace it it sounds like big bux. This car stink we are back in the 80s with jaguar. Xmass tree lights gone wrong.

Original Poster please let us know how it goes. Ill be taking out the head unit when I get the car back and wiggling some wires to see if it came loose from vibrations.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Some finds on my search for an answer.

Do you have your nav system set up to auto update?
If not and it hasn't software updated in some time, you should check with your dealer about updating the software. You will need to have the radio PIN card (should have been in your owner's manual or with the NAV/Map CD.

Here is the diagnostics for the nav system that are pertinent to your problem.
See if is of any help.
If you get to step 5, you will need to go to a qualified Jag repair shop that can diagnose the rest of the sytem.

The following procedures will assist in diagnosing faults with the Navigation and Display System alone, troubleshooting from the symptom or logged Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). If a fault lies with the Audio, Telephone or Climate Control systems, diagnosis must be made using the diagnostic tools and information made available for those systems.

To retrieve any stored Navigation System DTCs; press and hold the 'Menu' and 'Telephone' hard keys simultaneously for 5 seconds, when the keypad screen appears release the hard keys, enter the code 917 and press the 'Enter' soft key, select the 'Self Check' soft key from the On Screen Diagnostics' menu and if any DTCs are stored, they will be displayed on screen.

1. Does the audio system emit sound when AM/FM or CD is selected?
If NO - Faulty audio system
If YES - Continue to next step. (Down Arrow).

2. Ensure ignition is switched to 'Accessory' position, press NAV hard button, agree soft button, then navigate to 'Navigation Menu'. Is the voice guidance enable soft key selected (graphic of speaker with sound waves)?
If NO - Select the voice guidance soft key, plan a new route and re-test
If YES - Continue to next step. (Down Arrow).

3. Select the 'Menu' hard key, then the 'Volume Preset' soft key. Is the 'NAV' volume preset set to minimum?
If YES - Increase the volume level and re-test
If NO - Continue to next step. (Down Arrow).

4. Select a desired position as a destination and allow the system to calculate the route. Press the start soft key. Is voice emitted?
If YES - Normal, no further action required
If NO - Continue to next step. (Down Arrow).

5. Check the D2B network fiber optic cable integrity using the D2B network tester 415-S003. Was a fault identified?
If NO - Faulty audio system or navigation control module
If YES - Faulty wiring harness

Full Factory issued PDF

jaguar.bttlxe.com/xtype/Navigation System Diagnostics.pdf

Last edited by ricardoa1; 02-18-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gdcont
Thanks for the info. My reason for asking is I'm trying to connect an Ipod to my '04 XJ8 without buying the ACM. There's a company that developed for the antique car hobby an module that plugs into the antenna hole at the back of the radio and the antenna plugs into it. This fools the radio into thinking that the signal it provides is the strongest signal for that frequency. They have a module coming for FM but it uses the traditional male antenna/female radio set-up. So I would have to find an adapter set up. Check it out at Rediscoverradio.com. The link is RediRad-FM. George
Not to mud up the thread, but metra makes the adapters you need...

This is Jaguar male to standard motorola:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=40-eu10

And then back

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=40-eu20

No hacking or cutting needed.

George

Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM

I found the fix. It was the CD changer not powering up for some reason, wether it got damaged from the water ingress I had causing the fuse box to short or it simply gave up the the ghost. I deleted the changer....I repinned the factory Optical harness at the trunk to delete the connector. I think jaguar sells a jumper you can also use to delete a component. But i did not buy a jumper all I did was take each connetor apart and repinned it. I deleted the CD changer one. I also deleted the Cell phone one and the rear entertainment connector. And created my own harness that plus the AMP, VOICE and NAV only. All is well.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Hey Androulakis thanks for the link to the adapters. The application chart on the left lists S-type & X-type but not the XJ, is the antenna cable end at the radio the same as in the X & S type? Thanks George.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Default Cause found: blown amplifier

First, many thanks to all who contributed with their worthy input on my "no audio" problem.

I finally caved and brought it in to the Jaguar dealer and I just learned that the cause was a bad power amplifier (BTW, that was my initial inkling). That's the good news. The bad news is that the part is $1100! As if that wasn't enough, they charge 2 hours of labor to install it. (What they don't know is that I removed it and replaced it once already and it took me about 20 minutes.)

Well, all this is just unpleasant because my 100K mile Select warranty expired 3 months ago and the car only has 34k.

Really love the cat, but no one ever said that love is easy...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Before you put another amp in the car make sure water isn't getting on it from a leaking body seam at the left front of the trunk where the body panels are joined together. There is a service bulletin for this fix. It just takes a drop or 2 of water to trash that amp and I've seen some leak like Niagra Falls.

Did that 2 hour quote include IDS diagnostics or was it just R&R plus additional time for diagnosing the problem?

Quick Reply: Suddenly, no more audio in my "new" XJ8!