XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sun visor electrical connection- disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Sun visor electrical connection- disconnect

This may well be specific to the 2004 XJ8's. In replacing my sagging headliner as a DIY project I've run into a small problem. In removing the sun visors I can't figure out how to disconnect the power feed to the vanity mirrors.

There is NO inline plug that I can see on either side and the wire goes directly into a small metal ferrule that's permanently affixed to the shaft that the visor rotates on. I don't want to cut and splice as the area is hard to work in and my hands are too damn big.

Has anyone had to disconnect a similar type of plug as the svc. manual is of no help at all.?

Attached Thumbnails Sun visor electrical connection- disconnect-20151209_162830%5B1%5D.jpg   Sun visor electrical connection- disconnect-20151209_162845%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 12-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

If I remember correctly, a connector exists up above the headliner.

I was surprised at how much fabric tape wrapped over many connectors.

I recently did my 04, this is the best I can recall.
Thanks.
-mag

The following users liked this post:
RDMinor (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Default Thanks for the response

I hope you're right. I spotted a similar reference in an older thread dealing with a headliner replacement after having posted my question. Maybe it was yours although it was a couple of years old the post did deal with a 2004 XJ.

I'm still trying to figure out how to reach the rear seats bottom section release mechanisms as my hands are too big to reach in far enough to get at them. Until I can figure that out I can't take the headliner loose enough to see if there's a connector hidden there.

I have to say that in working on my 2004 XJ and my 99 XK I find a lot of not just dumb but also problematic decisions that Jaguar made and some less than quality components they used. Way too many plastic bits used to attaché things that are almost certain to break when you try to uninstall them

Old 12-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Default Sun visors .... Where's the plug??

The connector for the sun visors electrical connection to the vanity mirror lights IS above the headliner. You can NOT get at it until you begin to lower the headliner and can get at the connectors.

I can't speak to older (or newer) models but that's where they were on my 2004 XJ8.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:04 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Very Easy but just drop headliner a bit to be able to access it. You will have to remove some of the glued wires as well to remove headliner out of vehicle. Careful with the microphones( if you have any) they are fragile. Lean both front seats down. Protect the interior from the headliners sharp edges with a blanket or tarp. Open a rear door, Protect that door panel from sharp edges as well. helps to have two people getting it out. Fold it slightly quick and get it out. Its ok to bend it a little.

hope this helps