XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

sunroof leaking into back passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default sunroof leaking into back passenger seat

2009 jaguar xj8l. when it rains a puddle (depending on how long and hard it rains) forms on floor of back passenger seat. car is usually sitting with front higher than back but occasionally rainwater drips directly from overhead light onto gear shifter if parked the other direction or while driving. my local mechanic, who doesn't like jag repairs, poured water into sunroof but drain behind rear passenger door didn't drain like other side. he also tried blowing compressed air into drain and succeeded in losing his rubber tip but no difference with lack of drainage. can't really get back far enough on sunroof to get to where the drain starts. also mold on side of rear passenger side seat from water and I can see pillar by window wet at times. car windows steam up from condensation. concerned about floor rusting through.

Last edited by melby; 11-17-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Welcome melby, lets see if we can get you into the correct forum for those who can answer you more appropriately.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 13,290 Likes on 6,570 Posts

Hi melby,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post from the forum for the X308 to the forum for the X358, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 2009 XJ8L. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

It does sound as though your rear passenger side sunroof drain is clogged or the hose has become disconnected somewhere. You can try running something stiff but flexible, like string trimmer line, up through the drain from the underside of the car. You may even be able to push out the mechanic's blower tip.

The sunroof seal is not waterproof, and the system depends on the drains to keep the passenger compartment dry.

Hopefully other members will respond with additional ideas.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-16-2017 at 08:55 PM.
melby (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

The rubber drain hoses travel down behind the rear pillar covers.

It might be possible to access where the hose attaches to the sunroof support frame if you remove the pillar covers and do some prodding or use a vacuum to clear out.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (11-16-2017), melby (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Check the TSB on water ingress. Also, forum search. Could be your sunroof drains but there are also other points of ingress through the body panels, mainly under the rubber channel in the rear passenger door and trunk area. You basically seal those areas with clear silicone.

That should sort out your water collecting in the rear passenger seat area. Also, your going to need to remove the seats, pull up rear section of carpet and get the pooled water in the foam out. Had this happen on my 04 X350. A wet vac & portable electric heater will get it dried out once you cap the source of the leak(s).

To clear sunroof drains you have to partially drop the headliner, disconnect rubber hose from sunroof assembly and either run a small wire or one of those arts & crafts pipe cleaners in the hose and on the drain side or even some compressed air to the hose.

You have 4 drains, one on each corner. Front ones are real hard to distinguish when they collect with dirt. That was the cause of water dripping from my headliner console assembly onto the shifter. I'd get that specific leak sorted, quickly!

Dab a bit of clear silicone on the sunroof drain pipe when reconnecting the hose.

Last edited by abonano; 11-16-2017 at 08:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Don B (11-16-2017), melby (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member

The front sunroof drain hoses go down behind the front pillar covers and again you might be able to access the connection behind the cover once removed.

If you cannot then yes you will have to lower the headliner where you will have to remove the pillar covers anyway.

As Abonano states you will have to dry out any foam that has absorbed moisture.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (11-17-2017), melby (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi melby,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post from the forum for the X308 to the forum for the X358, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 2009 XJ8L. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

It does sound as though your rear passenger side sunroof drain is clogged or the hose has become disconnected somewhere. You can try running something stiff but flexible, like string trimmer line, up through the drain from the underside of the car. You may even be able to push out the mechanic's blower tip.

The sunroof seal is not waterproof, and the system depends on the drains to keep the passenger compartment dry.

Hopefully other members will respond with additional ideas.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don
sorry about posting in wrong area but thx for move. I'll eventually get the hang of it.
melby

Old 11-17-2017, 11:35 AM

thx to all who posted. I can't seem to figure out how to write an individual post to each person.
melby

Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

I had a water soaked sunroof/moon roof slider cover that got soaked somehow.

I had to take out the sunroof entirely which necessitated taking out the headliner.

I did not find a blockage anywhere.

melby (11-18-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by melby
2009 jaguar xj8l. when it rains a puddle (depending on how long and hard it rains) forms on floor of back passenger seat. car is usually sitting with front higher than back but occasionally rainwater drips directly from overhead light onto gear shifter if parked the other direction or while driving. my local mechanic, who doesn't like jag repairs, poured water into sunroof but drain behind rear passenger door didn't drain like other side. he also tried blowing compressed air into drain and succeeded in losing his rubber tip but no difference with lack of drainage. can't really get back far enough on sunroof to get to where the drain starts. also mold on side of rear passenger side seat from water and I can see pillar by window wet at times. car windows steam up from condensation. concerned about floor rusting through.
hi again
thought I'd update this post in case it's helpful to anyone else (and maybe find solution to one last issue).
so, my mechanic decided to tackle the leaking into back passenger seat. actually he's my brother and semi-retired and selective on who and what he services, so I'm lucky he had some time and in the mood to help out big sis. I helped very little but witnessed it so I can report back.
after testing with water in the sunroof he decided the headliner had to come down. what a project but easier down than up. luckily we didn't have to actually take the headliner out of the car or the back seat.
he was able clear all four of the drain tubes and get them running freely using weed wacker line as suggested. there was some overflow coming out of a white plastic box in the sunroof track and that ended up in the back seat. the fix was much easier than getting to it. there were a lot of leaves in the headliner so he shot those out with compressor. I was surprised how many, so lesson learned, especially when parked in my driveway or any other place with a lot of trees.
we can't get the overhead console totally installed. it wasn't easy getting it to the point it is so I can use sunroof and it doesn't fall on me while driving. I looked on this forum and elsewhere and can't find anything to resolve this issue--most say do everything in reverse and that worked just fine for everything but this. btw, there isn't a screw to take out of the glass holder, nor is there any place where it would have seated in the unit. that was the only hint I saw in my research, which may have worked--maybe a different MY.
all in all a good project if you have the patience.
nice sunny day in the Burgh so I had the windows and sunroof open to dry out the rug as it was soaked from the last rain.
thx to all who offered help and if you have any ideas on overhead console that will be greatly appreciated--so close and yet so far.
melby

Last edited by melby; 11-28-2017 at 05:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by melby:
Don B (11-28-2017), Rudedog (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm getting mine looked at on 12/01. I believe that one of the sunroof drains is clogged and its leaking in the front passenger foot well. I'm glad to hear you got yours sorted out.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 PM

I hope it's easily fixed Rudedog, and not too expensive. did you try pouring water from the sunroof track to see if it drains out at the bottom?
I see you have an "L" too. nice if you're sitting in the back seat.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by melby
I hope it's easily fixed Rudedog, and not too expensive. did you try pouring water from the sunroof track to see if it drains out at the bottom?
I see you have an "L" too. nice if you're sitting in the back seat.
Yup. The drivers side drain was mostly clogged and very slow draining. The passenger side drain was fulling clogged. Leaves and very thin/small twigs. It's all clear now.

Don B (12-01-2017)