XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Super V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Super V8

I have a chance to buy a Super V8 X350. Why isn't it called XJR? The car is physically spotless, but has a slipping transmission at startup. It has sat for two years. Is the transmission a Mercedes, like the XKR? I'm clueless as I haven't owned an XJ since 1974. Advice gladly wanted. Has 108k miles and is beautiful Black with a red wine interior. 2006.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:46 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by olddavidp
I have a chance to buy a Super V8 X350. Why isn't it called XJR? The car is physically spotless, but has a slipping transmission at startup. It has sat for two years. Is the transmission a Mercedes, like the XKR? I'm clueless as I haven't owned an XJ since 1974. Advice gladly wanted. Has 108k miles and is beautiful Black with a red wine interior. 2006.
The SuperV8 should have everything the XJR has but is the long wheel based version. Again, should have every single option that was offered that year.

Actually the SuperV8 is a step up from the XJR, however - beware with the transmission 6HP26 - made by ZF in Germany.

A slipping trans could be an easy fix but more than likely an expensive fix.

The following users liked this post:
olddavidp (01-31-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Everything you need to know is right here:

olddavidp (01-31-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:13 PM
Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
The SuperV8 should have everything the XJR has but is the long wheel based version. Again, should have every single option that was offered that year.

Actually the SuperV8 is a step up from the XJR, however - beware with the transmission 6HP26 - made by ZF in Germany.

A slipping trans could be an easy fix but more than likely an expensive fix.
Hi olddavidp
I do believe that SWB Super V8s do exist. It is probably easier to say that the top of the range Sovereign XJ was given the supercharged engine from the XJR, giving the best of both worlds with the traditional luxury non-sports interior and serious performance. As to options, it was probably up to the original purchaser to tick the boxes they wanted (or could afford) in addition to the standard list. The country of sale affects this too, as some options apply only to certain countries or groups of countries.
Sounds like a car to grab if you can.
Pete M

Old 01-17-2022, 09:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd be totally happy spending $6k on this and still spending another $5k to get it road ready.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 AM
Received 342 Likes on 209 Posts

These are beautiful cars. I tried to convince my wife to get one but no dice as she is happy with her current ride.
Lots of info on the 6hp26 transmission on the internet and Jaguar ( and other makes like BMW) Forums. Could be as simple as low or incorrect fluid. May be a good negotiation point on the price.
Why was the car parked 2 years ago… the transmission issue? Thorough service history is a big plus on these cars.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:18 AM
Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Short wheelbase Super V8s were sold in some markets but NOT in US.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:43 PM
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Super V8s were sold in SWB form in Europe, and I believe also in Japan, among other countries. My car was originally sold to Italy, first owner was Jaguar Italy in Rome, and also here in Germany many Super V8s are SWB.

I am attaching some pictures of my car out of the ad of the dealer I bought it from, still with the Italian plates and on aftermarket wheels (which I have replaced immediately, off course...).

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 01-19-2022, 12:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I like those 5 spoke wheels, and they look to have high profile tires on them. That would take a lot of the teeth gritting when you see that bump coming, but can't avoid it.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:51 PM
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

True, for aftermarket wheels, they suit the car quite well. The tires might look like high profile, but actually the size is the 8jx18 wheels with 235/50R18 tires that Jaguar used as standard for the SV8.
I have a preference for original wheels, though, so currently I run the car with 19'' Jaguar "Custom" in summer, and in winter with 18" Jaguar "Luxury" wheels.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:59 PM

I'd have been delighted if those wheels were attached to my XJR. The interstate through here is a 70 MPH plowed field & that's after they spent the last decade improving it. . The lesser roads as well show a lot of wear. I guess that is is what living in one of the fastest growing counties in the US looks like.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eric-in-Texas
I like those 5 spoke wheels, and they look to have high profile tires on them. That would take a lot of the teeth gritting when you see that bump coming, but can't avoid it.
Originally Posted by Eric-in-Texas
I'd have been delighted if those wheels were attached to my XJR. The interstate through here is a 70 MPH plowed field & that's after they spent the last decade improving it. . The lesser roads as well show a lot of wear. I guess that is is what living in one of the fastest growing counties in the US looks like.
My factory 19" chrome 5-spokes including the spare will be up for sale next month- please PM me if you're interested, neighbor. And I think your county may be an exception to the rule! Most main Texas roads and highway nowadays are quite good (tollways especially).

Old 01-22-2022, 02:07 AM

I had to make several trips from Denton to south Dallas lately, and if I were driving a pickup, or something with a lot of sidewall, I'd think 35e was a lovely piece of road. With 19" wheels and the resulting lack of sidewall, I grit my teeth a bit. Even the North Tollway, has a few jumps built in.

Sentinelist (01-26-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:03 PM
Default Super V8

Thank you everyone. This forum deserves its reputation. The car was parked while the owner was overseas working. The slip started upon return. This is completely stock he tells me even those five spoke wheels. I'm going on an adventure with this car as I am not financially exposed unreasonably so why not? I have been lucky with my project cars so maybe karma owes me one or maybe my innate skepticism lowers expectations to a sensible level. Thank you all. When it gets home I will start the documentation.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:26 PM

Thank you everyone. This forum deserves its reputation. The car was parked while the owner was overseas working. The slip started upon return. This is completely stock he tells me even those five spoke wheels. I'm going on an adventure with this car as I am not financially exposed unreasonably so why not? I have been lucky with my project cars so maybe karma owes me one or maybe my innate skepticism lowers expectations to a sensible level. Thank you all. When it gets home I will start the documentation.
Please update back here if you do! Yes, the 19" 5-spoke 'Custom' wheels were standard on the Super V8- the chrome was an option, as were the 20" 'Sepang' (BBS) design.

olddavidp (01-31-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 12:50 AM

I have closed the transaction on the 2005 Super V8. I need it driven or shipped from Sacramento to either Klamath Falls or Portland. I was going to go through the shipper we used when I worked for Ford Credit, but decided to ask the collective if anyone knows someone interested or having an empty rig going north. I will cover all expenses and a generous amount for their service. I'm anxious to get this party started. Thanks to everyone in advance. My direct email is olddavidp@gmail.com

I'm not very accomplished at the file adds. But this is the car.

Last edited by olddavidp; 02-02-2022 at 01:13 AM. Reason: add picture
The following 2 users liked this post by olddavidp:
Jacuar (02-02-2022), MaxTorq (03-08-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 08:25 PM

Congrats and welcome to the club! Looks good at that angle so far. That interior! Gotta share more photos when you get it home somehow.

P.s.: If you prefer those wheels in chrome and with new rubber let me know- I'll be selling my set in the next 30 days.

olddavidp (03-05-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 09:28 PM

I had never even heard of this model, so I had to see for myself, and damn are they cool. That blood red leather looks brand new and it smells like the baseball glove room at the Sports Creel. This is going to be fun. I keep repeating myself. What are you going to replace the five spoke with?

Old 02-02-2022, 11:04 PM

I had never even heard of this model, so I had to see for myself, and damn are they cool. That blood red leather looks brand new and it smells like the baseball glove room at the Sports Creel. This is going to be fun. I keep repeating myself. What are you going to replace the five spoke with?
Right there with you- somehow I had never heard of the Super V8 or it went in one ear and out the other all these years until last year. Knew about the XJR and VDP, but then discovered the SV8 and had to have a pinnacle example. I had forgotten the red leather was offered and eager to see more pics of it.

Replacing the 5-spoke 'Custom' style wheels we have with a set of mint 20" BBS 'Sepang' wheels I was able to score last month. Just awaiting shipping! Same wheels as in the video above. The Customs are fine but I couldn't resist. Beware these things will expose your weaknesses to perfect them. Hide your kids hide your wife hide your wallet!

olddavidp (03-05-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi olddavidp
Congratulations on your purchase. The seat color is Cranberry, and it was exclusive to the XJR or Super V8. It is unusual in that the contrast piping is the same color as the seat. I guess none of the piping available improved the appearance. I had red leather in a few of my previous Jags, but that color combination, Midnight? and Cranberry is beyond cool. I look forward to seeing more photos.
Pete M

The following 3 users liked this post by Pete M:
MaxTorq (03-08-2022), olddavidp (03-05-2022), Sentinelist (02-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Super V8