XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Supercharger Oil Around Supercharger Outlet Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Supercharger Oil Around Supercharger Outlet Seal?

Vehicle: 2004 Jaguar XJR (x350)
Supercharger: Eaton M112
Miles: 66,000

Like the title states, yesterday I partially lifted up my supercharger outlet elbow enough to see that there was oil on both sides of the 'outlet elbow seal'. At first I thought "time to buy a new seal" but after thinking more about it, I was wondering should be oil in there at all?

This image, taken from another member shows the seal location I am referencing, it is the 4 bolt square pattern in the center of the supercharger:

#5 in this photo shows the gasket, where under it has oil on both sides

If this is in fact an issue, is my next step buying a rebuild kit for the supercharger? Would the recommendation be to not drive the vehicle? Please let me know if further clarification is needed.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

It a little oily in that area but not very. However it should not be seeping out past the gasket as that indicates a leak. If oil gets out air gets in when it should not.

Any codes?
I doubt that the SC needs rebuilding unless you hear rattling or the snout pulley rotates to far without "connecting".

Last edited by jackra_1; 10-03-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
It a little oily in that area but not very. However it should not be seeping out past the gasket as that indicates a leak. If oil gets out air gets in when it should not.

Any codes?
I doubt that the SC needs rebuilding unless you hear rattling or the snout pulley rotates to far without "connecting".
It is possible that when I lifted the supercharger outlet elbow, the oil moved to both sides of the gasket. I do not have any codes.. I do not hear rattling or pulley noises in the SC, my only symptom is oil around these areas which I would like to take care of.

My main initial concern was that this oil would have been coming from the supercharger. I know that these superchargers only have 7oz of fluid so I didn't want to run it dry. I now know that this is most likely engine oil which is less of a concern.

When the new gasket arrives I will completely remove the elbow and inspect for oil. It is good to know that a little oily is acceptable.

Thanks for your input.