XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension noise

Hi Guys,

I have a suspension related question for you. Some month ago I replaced my struts to new bilstein ones, and also replaced the compressor. So, the car stays on level for even a week, and it rises and lowers like a charm. No problem with the damping as I feel . But since it's getting cold outside, I started to hear koncking noises from te suspension, and i feel it on the steering wheel also, I feel something "loose" (however, damping remains to be good, no problem passing a bump). It feels like very old and worn damper on a normal suspension, but my Shocks are brand new, and the car just have it's license renewed, where the shocks were measured and found to be perfect.
This behaviour stays for about 10-20 minutes, and then slowly disappears, completely. It looks something is getting warmer, and works normally after.
I was suspecting the little stabilization bar on the front, or the busing where the shock is attached to, but can it get better after half an hour of driving? I don't think so, but I have no experince about this, anyone had the same issue?

Regards:

Barna

Old 11-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooshee
Hi Guys,

I have a suspension related question for you. Some month ago I replaced my struts to new bilstein ones, and also replaced the compressor. So, the car stays on level for even a week, and it rises and lowers like a charm. No problem with the damping as I feel . But since it's getting cold outside, I started to hear koncking noises from te suspension, and i feel it on the steering wheel also, I feel something "loose" (however, damping remains to be good, no problem passing a bump). It feels like very old and worn damper on a normal suspension, but my Shocks are brand new, and the car just have it's license renewed, where the shocks were measured and found to be perfect.
This behaviour stays for about 10-20 minutes, and then slowly disappears, completely. It looks something is getting warmer, and works normally after.
I was suspecting the little stabilization bar on the front, or the busing where the shock is attached to, but can it get better after half an hour of driving? I don't think so, but I have no experince about this, anyone had the same issue?

Regards:

Barna
That sounds like what i had and finally changing the sway bar bushings fixed it. The noise was most noticeable when cold and lower speed when one wheel went over a bump.
Try removing the sway bar link from one side and see if you still have the noise.
My bushings had about 1mm play when I removed one sway link on one side and tried moving the sway bar.

The following users liked this post:
Hooshee (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsetter
That sounds like what i had and finally changing the sway bar bushings fixed it. The noise was most noticeable when cold and lower speed when one wheel went over a bump.
Try removing the sway bar link from one side and see if you still have the noise.
My bushings had about 1mm play when I removed one sway link on one side and tried moving the sway bar.
Well, now I had a day with my repair gus, and did just like you have suggested. And you were right, the stabilizer bushings were the ones to blame, the car is now fantastic, like rolling on a cloud

Thanks you!!!