XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suspension squeeky

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suspension squeeky

Hey all, so about 4 1/2 months after replacing a blown out air suspension bag with Arnott coil overs all around, I have to say overall I'm not upset. The rear has absolutely no issues whatsoever, but the front...oh boy.

Prior to the blowout, I got an oil change, and the shop recommended I replace the front control arms (I believe it was the uppers), and quoted me about $1300 out the door, nonchalantly, mind you. So the problem now is the front suspension seems weak, and squeeks with the occasional minor clunking as well. I am taking the car in for an alignment today and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I am wondering if this is just a roll/sway bar, bushings, or if I need to just suck it up and get the control arms replaced. Also, saw these on ebay, and wondering if anyone has used these? All input helps, thanks!
JAGUAR XJ8 XJR UPPER CONTROL ARM ARMS BALL JOINT BUSHING C2C38956 + C2C38957 L+R | eBay

Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

I can give a little. Take it and get it looked at first. Changing uppers and lowers is very different. The OEM complete uppers are available at a reasonable price. These are Ford, Lincoln, or Lemforder. The lower are unique and only available from a Jaguar dealer. There are two, - straight and a curved. There are bushings, balljoints, tierod ends, swaybar links, and toe adjusters. The lower balljoints and tie rod ends seem to hold up much better than all the other parts.
The wheel bearings are also weak. They went with ball bearings instead of roller bearings. The ball bearings are damaged by rough roads and get loose.
The front and rear suspensions are High Maintenance.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

BTW, just looked on Rock Auto and the original upper complete arms are available for 136.79 each. I would not use those eBay arms if they were 115.00 a pair.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Panelhead,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I did not get the alignment yesterday, which is much needed. I got out of my car, saw two mechanics smoking a bowl, they said they wouldn't honor a coupon I had from there for a free alignment there, and figured I'd rather spend the money somewhere else

Wow, that 136.79 is WAY cheaper than anything else I've seen online. The one shop I went to quoted me at about $525 apiece, so that's a bargain. My alignment is scheduled for Wednesday so we will see what happens. As someone who is far from a gearhead, the concept of upper/lower is a bit confusing. Are uppers used in the front, and lowers in the rear?

Old 11-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Both front and rear wheel suspensions use upper and lower wishbones, (US=control arms). It is the bushes in the lowers than take most of the road stresses and hence tend not to last long.

Squeaking suspension could be a potential worn-out ball joint on a wishbone. Best check this out, e.g. is the rubber boot in one piece and not split. If the balljoint gives way your roadwheel is free to go where it likes and will.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Yes the upper ball joint on the upper wishbone is crucial.

WRT squeeking I have seen (and heard it) on a friend's Jag but on

a rear upper wishbone. It was not the ball joint but one of the other two

bushes in the arm. The noise disappeared when wet but this won't

happen on the fronts because they will not be exposed to rain water.