XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sway Bar bushings fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Sway Bar bushings fiasco

Well, I am no novice and have worked on a lot of cars mostly Landrovers, but the Sway Bar bushings! Got the tray off and expected to see the brackets there four bolts replace thr bushings do the bolts up sorted. Well no it is impossible for the DIY mechanic to get to these bushings, I can't even see how they do it at the shop there is no room to get to the bolts at all, not from the side the front the top or the back. My XJR is a 2004 so am I missing something here?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oye... I spent 3 days replacing the front sway bar bushings. But only took 30 minutes after I figured out how to do it.

The trick is indeed to go from up top. I had to buy a 3 foot long extension bar and a universal joint for my ratchet. It's been a few months since I did this, but as I recall, I had to remove the air intake box for the drivers side.

Stick the extension bar/universal joint/socket through the engine bay and near as you can get to the bolts, go underneath and put the socket onto the bolts, go back up and turn the ratchet to unbolt.

The universal joint between the extension bar and socket was necessary due to the angle of the bolts. It wasn't until i got that little jewel that I was able to finally get the bolts out.

I hope this helps!!!

The following users liked this post:
dsetter (10-24-2015)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Don't know if the layout in the engine bay on the Vandi is different from XJR as even with removing the air box and elbow you can't see the roll bar, the oil cooler looks like it is also in the way and there is no way of getting to the bushes to remove them even if you could get the bolts undone. Thanks for the reply I did read your thread before starting.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert, one thing I've learned in short order about Jaguars. If one is mechanically inclined, look at the total picture and fabricate tools if you dont have access to dealer tools. I priced having a shop replace my front upper and lower control arm bushings. I refuse to pay $700 in labor. When i get time i will do it myself :-)

Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM

This is the first Jag I have worked on, I think I was spoilt by my 12yrs of Landrover/Rangerover ownership. You could take them apart with about 3 spanners and no special tools. There is just no room to get into the front end of the XJR so for this job no special tools are needed just space which means stripping the car down! This is where the Labour costs come from. The sway bars are put in the car before the engine is dropped in on top on the production line so a 30 min job turns into hours of strip down. Luckily I have the funds to pay the $300 labour cost. Would much rather do it myself but this much work for 2 bushings that are slightly worn has really got to me. I was told about jags if you can't pay you can't play.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doh! Sorry mate, I should have known the XJR engine bay would be a bit different. Hopefully my experience will at least help a few others out there. I still have nightmares of being under that car for days trying to figure those bushings out.