XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

TCM reflash

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

fwiw, I looked at voltage maintainers, like someone mentioned and they are $$$$$. Kinda defeats the benefit of the clone ??

Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Not at all. You pay one way or another.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Wheres that indy?

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus
I am the one who Cambo quoted that 175$ for the PCM flash. Leith Jaguar in Cary NC.

I had an indy do it for 100$.
Hey that sounds reasonable. Do you mind sharing the name of the Indy shop. I currently don't need any services, on my 06 XJ8L but we all know that's a temporary condition, lol. I would love to have an alternate to Leith Jaguar or at least a source for second opinions and price quotes. I am in Wake Forest. I do 90% of my own work, but in cases like this were risk exceeds money saved choices are valuable. By the way, is there anything to be gained by flashing a later version of the PCM firmware, such as improved drivablity? I wonder how much difference revised code can make on an adaptive system that apparently has a large range of built in variables which I understand continue to adapt over the life of the system. It is a fascinating transmission, not without its faults of course, and not on par with the current 8 Speed models for super fast shifts etc, but I love that it enables or contributes to the best in class fuel mileage we see in these full size sedans!

I always appreciate learning more about it, and when the weather finally stops dumping snow and ice on us I am prepping to do a Fluid/Pan-Filter/Sleeve seal swap in my XJ. Probably the best single pro-active bit of maintenance you can do on an X350 in my opinion.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskuhns
fwiw, I looked at voltage maintainers, like someone mentioned and they are $$$$$. Kinda defeats the benefit of the clone ??

This is the one I use and I use it on Mercs, BMW's and Jaguars ...it will run about 250.00,but will maintain the voltage at 13.6 or 14.8 and 1065 amps...If you are a private tech that will need such a unit to reflash on a reg bases this thing is the best on the market..and it works extremely well... Some cars can take four hours to flash or program depending on the make..and a battery charger just wont do the job.....here is the link

PowerMax PMBC-75 - 75 Amp PMBC Series Power Inverters - Battery Chargers

I purchase mine directly from powermax in Bradenton FL..(THEY NORMALLY DONT SELL DIRECTLY TO PUBLIC).You will be surprised how many perks one can get once people know your a mech that does certain cars...Even the Jaguar dealership gives me a 30% discount.....and I have gotten many items from BMW FREE!

Last edited by 912guy; 02-27-2015 at 09:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rosskuhns (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey I am sorry buddy, I forgot to post back on this.

I went to Import Performance in Wilmington NC for the TCM Flash. You will find them on Jagshops. c o m

It was cheap(er) but honestly I would not recommend them, it took them a very very long time to do it.

I had them troubleshoot my lousy heat, I asked them to make sure to look over the Auxiliary Coolant Pump, the guy came back and swore to me that thew pump was fine and I needed a new Heater Core....

I had a pretty big job done at Ken Baker Originals in Wilmington the week after, they noticed that my Aux pump was not even plugged in.

What that tells me is that the shop that did my TCM job was either incompetent that day, or trying to work one over on me.

Can not recommend Ken Baker Originals enough. They are a BMW and Merc shop, but they were doing an xj8 4.0 to 4.2 swap so they are not Jaguar squeamish. See my car diary thread for more info on the job they did for me. They gave me a loaner last minute, let me pick up the car after hours, were polite, punctual, and ridiculously cheap compared to others on the east coast of NC.

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 02-28-2015 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rosskuhns (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Not at all. You pay one way or another.
Well, it does when my purpose was trying to save money

Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Default Thanks for that

[QUOTE=912guy;1172002]This is the one I use and I use it on Mercs, BMW's and Jaguars ...it will run about 250.00,but will maintain the voltage at 13.6 or 14.8 and 1065 amps...If you are a private tech that will need such a unit to reflash on a reg bases this thing is the best on the market..and it works extremely well... Some cars can take four hours to flash or program depending on the make..and a battery charger just wont do the job.....here is the link

Well I closed my own shop many years ago, maybe I could still claim it

Thanks, for the link- they extended a 20% off sale, so you can get the
55amp model for $181 shipped. Hmmmm, I may pull the trigger, if my computer friend can get my little laptop running the clone software today.

PowerMax PMBC Battery Chargers - PowerMax AC to DC 12v Battery Chargers

Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus
Hey I am sorry buddy, I forgot to post back on this.

I went to Import Performance in Wilmington NC for the TCM Flash. You will find them on Jagshops. c o m

It was cheap(er) but honestly I would not recommend them, it took them a very very long time to do it.

I had them troubleshoot my lousy heat, I asked them to make sure to look over the Auxiliary Coolant Pump, the guy came back and swore to me that thew pump was fine and I needed a new Heater Core....

I had a pretty big job done at Ken Baker Originals in Wilmington the week after, they noticed that my Aux pump was not even plugged in.

What that tells me is that the shop that did my TCM job was either incompetent that day, or trying to work one over on me.

Can not recommend Ken Baker Originals enough. They are a BMW and Merc shop, but they were doing an xj8 4.0 to 4.2 swap so they are not Jaguar squeamish. See my car diary thread for more info on the job they did for me. They gave me a loaner last minute, let me pick up the car after hours, were polite, punctual, and ridiculously cheap compared to others on the east coast of NC.

wow sorry to hear that,you will be surprised to find many hick-ups with shops...I have seen some claim to have changed plugs, and leave the last plug in near firewall.. or claim to have changed valve cover gaskets on x types, and leave bank one untouched near firewall...just clean around matting surface and apply air to trick customer.. Or claim they bled brakes but just pumped old fluid out and never touch the calibers...I have even seen where they tried to get a lil old lady to pay for a tranny rebuild on her bmw x5 when all it needed was a replaced abs module. BEWARE FRIENDS!!! If you can do it yourself, and have the confidence to do it right,go for it, but if you cant ,I advise you to carefully search for a dependable service shop with great track record..I bring people to my shop,show them,records videos to email to them,never upcharge for things I can do by just changing a 2.00 hose while I am in that spot, so if I recommend anything they know it is needed and I am not trying to get over ...

Last edited by 912guy; 03-02-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=rosskuhns;1173353]
Originally Posted by 912guy
This is the one I use and I use it on Mercs, BMW's and Jaguars ...it will run about 250.00,but will maintain the voltage at 13.6 or 14.8 and 1065 amps...If you are a private tech that will need such a unit to reflash on a reg bases this thing is the best on the market..and it works extremely well... Some cars can take four hours to flash or program depending on the make..and a battery charger just wont do the job.....here is the link

Well I closed my own shop many years ago, maybe I could still claim it

Thanks, for the link- they extended a 20% off sale, so you can get the
55amp model for $181 shipped. Hmmmm, I may pull the trigger, if my computer friend can get my little laptop running the clone software today.

PowerMax PMBC Battery Chargers - PowerMax AC to DC 12v Battery Chargers

great deal, I use the 75amp because Bimmers require 75 amps to reprogram and encode etc....The unit comes with a three year warranty..I charge a flat rate for coding /encoding and updating..I highly recommend these less costly units and they are work horses...I have seen some run almost all day and didn't shut down or overheat.Glad you got one, until next time Happy Wrenching!!!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Default Some scanners I use...

I use several scanners, I have ofcourse Jaguars sdd/ids,Launch x431 master, Launch c-reader8,Autel maxysis,BMW DIS,INSTA,SSS PROGMAN,and I am now looking to buy a Autoland iscan2..these are about 4-6000.00 My favorite aftermarket is the Autel maxysis...very fast, good coverage,has some glitches at times but overall is amazing.If it was built in America it would be 5000.00 easily...