XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Test driving XJ's & have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is just the 3.6 V8, and I find it doesn't feel as quick as it is, it's quiet and deceptive as it should be and has a nice sound especially when working hard, it'll cruise happily at 120, stable, quiet and smooth and still has plenty more to give, if you must! it encourages you to relax, and I like the interior, don't get ,me wrong, it ain't perfect, but it has some soul and that's what I like.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swing....& a miss. Again.

Man I am strinking out left & right. I missed out on another XJ by a day AGAIN!

This one really hurts. This was EVERYTHING I wanted in a Jag. The right color combo, the right options.It was an L.
:-(

Attached Thumbnails Test driving XJ's & have questions-xj8-slate.jpg   Test driving XJ's & have questions-xj8-slate-3.jpg   Test driving XJ's & have questions-xj8-slate-4.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TallXJDriver
I have been test driving XJRs and XJ8s and also feel that some have cranked out more power than others. One XJ I could spin the wheels with traction off. The XJR I drove tonight I could not. Bigger wheels maybe?
I have read about folks who can not spin the rear tires on takeoff and are wondering why.

My 2004 XJ8 came with 17 inch rims. I have to be careful NOT to chirp the rear tires when starting up. On a right hand turn from a stop it happens frequently when I start moving. Jags came with, depending on year and model, 18, 19, even 20 inch rims. I would imagine that unless the rear end ratio is changed, starting up with 20 inch rims would be like me starting up in 3rd gear.

Tom

Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Well... not quite. The rims got bigger and the tire sidewalls got smaller, so overall the diameter of the tire stayed the same. Ride, however, suffers greatly with low profile tires.

What is more likely is the tires themselves. Old, hard tires will not grip and will easily slip and squeal. Fresh, good tires will not and the built-in traction management will not allow the tires to squeal (with traction engaged).

Originally Posted by SableCat
I have read about folks who can not spin the rear tires on takeoff and are wondering why.

My 2004 XJ8 came with 17 inch rims. I have to be careful NOT to chirp the rear tires when starting up. On a right hand turn from a stop it happens frequently when I start moving. Jags came with, depending on year and model, 18, 19, even 20 inch rims. I would imagine that unless the rear end ratio is changed, starting up with 20 inch rims would be like me starting up in 3rd gear.
The Thomas J,

I can't beleive cars in your area are selling that quickly. Was completely the opposite when I was shopping for my XJ this winter. Cars sat on lots for months. Well, better luck with the next one! Just don't settle for a car you don't like, the right one will come along.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Well to be fair, the silver one was sitting close to 3 maybe 4 months. I was kind of settleing on that one when I decided to buy it.

The blue one because is still available, pending how the car fax looks I may throw an offer out just to seen what happens. That car has been sitting at least 3 months as well, & I don't want a light interior.

The last one I showednoff was exactly what I wanyed. That went up on Saturday & moved quickly.

There are Jags I saved in October that r still forsale on AT & cars.com

Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Default So sad with no Jag

Well I'm very depressed right now. There is nothing & I mean NOTHING out there in my price range right now. I missed the window of everything that was for sale the areas I was looking in.

It's getting near crunch time. I have to use my bank loan by the 20th or I will lose it & have to re-apply. I'm begining to think I misjudged the XJ market.

I started looking at the Mercedes Benz E class in rhe 2008-09 range that are in my price range. I may go with that instead, they are many out there.Not like the Jag which is limited in numbers. Not happy about it but I guess I could do worse.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Thomas J:

You ask several question and make a variety of remarks about distinctly different vehicles.

BMW and Jaguar approach the design and performance of their cars from a different perspective. Not necessarily exclusionary, but different. Jags sedans offer restrained performance within a luxury environment designed to offer a relatively plush but controllable ride in a quiet environment while BMW aims for a thoroughly more Teutonic embodiment of performance. They create very different ambiances if you will. The BMW's, in general have more sport oriented suspensions and more 'feedback' built into their cars then does Jaguar. They are both very competent cars and it really depends upon ones personal enthusiasm as to which would be the better choice.

The XJL is a longer wheelbase car then either the XJ8 or XJR with an additional 5 inches in wheelbase, with most applied to the rear seating area. Since it shares the same suspension and drive train, for the most part, with the other two models it's greater weight and length mean that it will be more sedate (relatively) then the other two models in the areas of acceleration and cornering.

As you doubtless already know the XJR or Super V8 use a supercharged version of the 4.2 V8 that has 400 HP and 404 ft. lbs. of torque while the non-super charged make due with just shy of 300 HP. In a car that weighs right at 4000 lbs. a 400 HP motor provides the magic 10lb. per HP that made the 'performance' cars of the '60's and '70's so potent. Even the less powerful XJ8 provides nearly 13.3 lbs. per HP which isn't chump change. The reason for your impression of lack of umph. is perhaps found in the use of a 2.87 rear axle ratio which is what we used to call a 'high speed' rear end as opposed to something like a 4.11 which was a low speed but high acceleration rear end. Through the use of a 6 speed gearbox Jaguar, and others, are able to achieve relatively rapid acceleration through the lower 4 speeds while giving quiet and economical cruising in the upper two gears, which are essentially over-drive gears.

The red light you are seeing is just what has been pointed out before with just one slight point being added. I think you were asking about it's meaning when you shift into drive. The Jags use an electronic parking brake activator that employs the brake without your intervention whenever you put the vehicle into park and automatically releases it when you shift into any other gear. You're correct in that in your example it was telling you the brake was on and then off. In any other instance aside from first ignition the red light will signify something serious that needs your immediate attention. This will be accompanied by a short descriptive message on the left instrument cluster. In less important events you'll get an amber light with message. The message can be made to "clear" by pushing the reset button but the amber light will stay on as a reminder that there is a potential problem. In the next ignition cycle the amber light may disappear unless the problem shows itself again.

As you mention in closing I think you would be happy driving one of these cars for many years due to their supple controllable ride, excellent handling, and quiet and unobtrusive nature. This is not to say that they can't be spirited when called upon, they just don't demand that you always be made aware that they "are the ultimate driving machine".

Hope that in addition to the previous responses that this adds to your appreciation of a really fine automobile for what it is and not what it isn't. I must add that in my opinion the XJRs more then 100HP and 100 ft.lb, advantage, which both amount to a 1/3 increase in power, are more then just "a bit more power" peddlarbob <G><G>IMHO
That was a very very informative message for me. I first drove a XJ or XJ8, and was really impressed. Not to even mention how beautiful the hard top coupes look. Then I drove a 2005 Type S- R engine. The quietness of the S model was amazing to me. At idle, I could not hear the engine running. The acceleration of the R engine was almost Freighting. It is one fast cat. I loved the ride ,drive and comfort of the 4 door S type.
I even went back to the other dealer to test drive the XK again to see if it was as quite in no sound; I t was not as quite, but again I love the way the coupe looks. However, the S model 4 door was far more of a better ride. I would assume the XJR 4 doors would be the same, is that correct?

I guess I'm asking if there is a Coupe Jag that rides like the 4 door S model I drove?. I see some older 1999 and 98 XKs for sell, but not many 2003 thru 2005. The 2005 S type R was only $13,800. This is more in line with my price range. However, I could go as much as $18K for what I want I think. I'm just torn between the attraction of the coupe and the comfort or the 4 door. I know the R engine made a huge difference, but I've heard they go out kind of soon and have to be replaced. I'm trying to get into a JAG because I've owned some BMWs and Mini Coopers, Cadillac, Lincolns, etc. and I loved the feel and ride of the Hags the best. I also noted that I will have to set aside enough money for upkeep of these wonderful machines.

Again, thank you for your advice.

Dann Bunn

Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Thomas J
I missed out on this beauty. Got there too late. Silver/black exactly what I wanted.
WOW, she is a beauty!!!! Is this a XJR or XJ8? I drove a 2005 C class Type R and man it was like a rocket ship! It scared me! It rode like a dream also. However, I'm 68, and the regular engine without the turbo will suit me fine. I'd like to ask you something if you don't mind answering: I'd rather have the XK8 coupe, not a convertible, and am asking if you know why the 2005 4 door C class I drove was a much quieter ride than a 2002 XK8 without the big engine, nor did the XK8 ride as smooth. Do you know that answer? I'm puzzled by this as I really want the Sportier look of the XK, but it just didn't ride as good nor was it as quiet. I'm assuming the XJ8 sedans are the same ride as the class C.
I'd also welcome anyone else's opinion on this also.

Thank you

Dann

Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Thomas J
Well I'm very depressed right now. There is nothing & I mean NOTHING out there in my price range right now. I missed the window of everything that was for sale the areas I was looking in.

It's getting near crunch time. I have to use my bank loan by the 20th or I will lose it & have to re-apply. I'm begining to think I misjudged the XJ market.

I started looking at the Mercedes Benz E class in rhe 2008-09 range that are in my price range. I may go with that instead, they are many out there.Not like the Jag which is limited in numbers. Not happy about it but I guess I could do worse.
Yes, I know how you feel Thomas J. I too am searching for a XK8 with no luck, found a few, but they were all black. You don't want a black car in Savannah, GA . My problem also relies on my selling my present original 40th Anniversary mini cooper. It is a limited edition with only around 550 built. Has A/C and automatic trans. I am told it may be the only one in the US. A collector would be the best bet for me. So, even if I find what I want, I'll be out of luck until I get a buyer. It should go for a minimum of $17K.
Good luck on your end also,

Dann