XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

thermostat housing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat housing replacement

2004 XJ8 - 70k miles
Hi all. Just finished replacing the 3rd air spring and thought I was going to get a break. Smelled coolant and after hours of searching I found the thermo housing was leaking at the top longitudinal seam. Lucky it was there cause I managed to roughen and epoxy it for a temporary fix. I need now to order and replace it. I have a few questions about the procedure. First of all I used the new jag service manual site: topix.jaguar.jlrext.com and it had most of the info for $10 a week. It did not show a procedure for housing replacement. I searched and read thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...mostat+housing
which mentions removing the intake. Is this intake as in intake manifold or cold air intake? Looks to me like manifold. I need to order all (not most) of the parts required because I can not tie up the car for 3 or 4 days waiting for a few stragglers. My list includes:

thermostat
thermostat housing
intake mfld gaskets
any hoses that look or feel suspicious
what about...
egr gasket?
thermo housing gasket?

any others? Are there certain hoses or parts that are prone to failure that I should replace them during the surgery?
Thx

Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Nobody? Please if anyone has any help they could offer, I'm really in a bind. Especially since the epoxy just cracked last night and the car is officially retired til it gets fixed.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Talking Thermostat housing replacement

Hi-
I did this job a couple of years ago. The parts I bought were the housing, the o-ring gasket that goes between the intake neck and manifold, the gasket that goes between the t/b housing and the neck and the metal basket for the egr feed tube. I did not remove the intake manifold, just the intake "neck". The worst part of the job was removing the panel under the radiator (lots of hard to get to fasteners). Also, be careful with torque when reinstalling the neck as the neck is al
uminum, but the manifold is plastic. Sorry this isn't more detailed, I'm typing on my phone, but I'm not one of those kids who can do 4000 messages per month!
Greg
P.S. Post again or email if specific questions.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 AM

Thx Jag but I think we're working on two different types of cars. As fate would have it I ran out of time for answers here and just started to tackle the job using Topix shop manuals. Firstly let me say that the Topix crossover vin is wrong. My G19### manifold needs the G44###+ procedure. The neck is not aluminum nor is it detachable from the thermo housing on my engine 2004 4.2L NA X350. The job actually is turning into a nightmare. I have stripped the top of the engine so it looks like I'm re-ringing it. The 4 bolt flange on the thermo neck attaches to the block under the manifold so it definitely has to come off. I have managed to lift the front of the manifold enough to remove the housing but to properly clean the manifold and mating surfaces I have to go to the official Jag technique. It begins with removing the windshield wiper arms, then the cowl. This to get to a couple things in the back of the manifold. I'm surprised I don't have to take out the gas tank. I am really annoyed at the person that spec'd a plastic housing then buried it $2000 deep in the engine compartment. If I meet him in a pub I will without hesitation stab him.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Default Thermostat housing repl.

I also have a 2004 X350 4.2, and that's the engine I was referring to. The t'stat. housing DID come off without removing the manifold though it was a close fit. Very sorry your job has turned into a real headache.
Greg

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM

Wow. I don't get it. On mine the EGR takes up all the room you need to get the 4 bolt flange apart.