XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Thinking of Buying my first XJ6 or XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,844 Likes on 2,661 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying my first XJ6 or XJ8

Hi Guys

I am thinking of buying my first XJ6 or maybe an XJ8 where my Budget of £5,000 seems to point to around the Year of 2004.

As such I would be grateful for your help and advice, as well if you have the time maybe a brief resume of your driving experiences and ownership of such a Car.

Are there any problems I should look out for and are these the Cars with Aluminium bodies?

Is the XJ6 with the V6 engine better than an XJ8 or the other way around.
Did they do a Sovereign Model?

One thing I'm very curious about is the Radiator Grill, as some of them have painted surrounds, while others are finished in chrome.

What about MPG? not really an issure, as I only get 15mpg from my XJS.
Did they do a Diesel?

My Daily Driver is a Classic Merc, which is my Workhorse and does me fine, or at least it did do, until I sat behind the Wheel of a (2004) XJ6 V6.

It had a bad effect on me but in a really good way, as I was simply Spellbound! by all the luxury surrounding me.

If I'd known a bit more about them, I would have bought it on the spot! although I erred on the side of caution, until I've learned more from you guys.

While I love my XJS She's really a Summer Car but the XJ6 or XJ8 just really blew me away, with all that leather and wood that left me in a state of shock!

Are they really as good as they look or do I need a reality check!

Maybe its worth mentioning I'm based in the UK regarding the Spec, so would love to also hear from UK owners.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Generally speaking the XJ6 with what is essentially a Ford engine, and also fitted in the S-types, is probably the most reliable overall, but the V8s are OK too. Diesels only came out in 2006, and these can and do suffer from a number of issues related to DPFs, EGRs and cracking exhaust pipes up by the manifold.

The cars are all built of aluminium, with very little steel in the car, so with the light weight this gives, petrol consumption is much better than previous cars and a lot less than your XJS.

Painted rad shells are for Sport or XJR cars. and there are Sovereign models that are "fully loaded", although most cars have more than you really need in terms of toys. A good option is the full size screen for Satnav and other things like Audio and Phone. The TVs in the back headrests of Sovereigns don't work on terrestrial transmissions any more, but you can play DVDs.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Generally speaking the XJ6 with what is essentially a Ford engine, and also fitted in the S-types, is probably the most reliable overall, but the V8s are OK too. Diesels only came out in 2006, and these can and do suffer from a number of issues related to DPFs, EGRs and cracking exhaust pipes up by the manifold.

The cars are all built of aluminium, with very little steel in the car, so with the light weight this gives, petrol consumption is much better than previous cars and a lot less than your XJS.

Painted rad shells are for Sport or XJR cars. and there are Sovereign models that are "fully loaded", although most cars have more than you really need in terms of toys. A good option is the full size screen for Satnav and other things like Audio and Phone. The TVs in the back headrests of Sovereigns don't work on terrestrial transmissions any more, but you can play DVDs.
Hi Fraser

Many Thanks for replying and I think you've told me everything I really need to know.

With my biggest curiosity being the 'Painted Grill Surround' which seems to give the look an extra something.

I am also guessing that because of the amount of Aluminium which is used, rust is not a big problem on these Cars.

Again Many Thanks

For Your Help

Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Orangeblossom,

I have a 2004 3.5l XJ8 which cost me the same as your budget two years ago. It averages 27mpg and I drive it into London on a regular basis. Although it is aluminium it does suffer from filform corrosion - I have about half a dozen spots, mostly on the bottom of the doors, where the paint has started to bubble. However over the two years that I have owned the car it doesn't seem to have got any worse. It is also only evident if you bend down and start looking for it so I have decided just to live with it until it becomes visible from a distance. Adamesh do a variety of mesh grills that can be added. I have had to have the suspension compressor changed and a variety of suspension parts replaced but apart from that it is in good shape for a car that has done 102k miles. I think for £5k you should be able to get something a little newer than mine.

orangeblossom (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by allginandjags
Hi Orangeblossom,

I have a 2004 3.5l XJ8 which cost me the same as your budget two years ago. It averages 27mpg and I drive it into London on a regular basis. Although it is aluminium it does suffer from filform corrosion - I have about half a dozen spots, mostly on the bottom of the doors, where the paint has started to bubble. However over the two years that I have owned the car it doesn't seem to have got any worse. It is also only evident if you bend down and start looking for it so I have decided just to live with it until it becomes visible from a distance. Adamesh do a variety of mesh grills that can be added. I have had to have the suspension compressor changed and a variety of suspension parts replaced but apart from that it is in good shape for a car that has done 102k miles. I think for £5k you should be able to get something a little newer than mine.
Hi and thanks for replying.

I was very content with my Merc as a daily driver, as I what I loved about it was all the things that it never had.

In my eyes a very reliable Car with just 'Seats and a Steering Wheel' if you know what I mean.

Up until the moment that I drove an XJ6! at which point I was simply overwhelmed by all the sumptuous luxury, not to mention all the 'Toys' and you know what Liberace said (Too much is never enough!)

Its just an achingly beautiful Car, that I could never afford to buy at anything like the new price but as there are so many of them around in the UK, I cannot afford not to buy one, as they are as cheap as chips.

What kills these Cars, is the fuel consumption, with the price of Petrol for ever on the rise and people (normal people that is!) now very used to driving cars that do 60mpg.

My XJS does only 15 mpg and runs on Tesco Momentum where during last Summer 'just tripping around' has cost me over £2,000 in Petrol!

So 27 mpg would be to me like running on 'fresh air'

I'm just a little bit confused about the difference between the XJ Sport and the XJR and the Sovereign, if you or maybe anyone else could throw some light on that.

And was also wondering if there was a particular 'Year' to look out for, 'good or bad'

I am however not a total stranger to Jaguar Saloons and did once own a Jaguar XKR Supercharger 4.0L in that 'orrible Aquamarine!' a Marmite colour which you love or hate.

I didn't like the Colour and I didn't like the Car all that much either.

These Jags are so luxurious now, that when I look back on owning that Car, it leaves me feeling just a tiny little bit under whelmed.

It cost me 25 grand when I bought her, when She was only just a few years old, as I was a friend of the original owner but had to get shot of it after a year, as the price was falling through the floor.

The 'Harmon Kardon' Ice though was really out of this World, so it would be nice to hear that sound once more.

In truth I think I bought this Car too soon, and was a bit too young for it at the time, as everyone was saying that it was an 'old mans car'

But over time my outlook has changed and this time around, I'm really looking forward to my being reaquainted with one of these fabulous cars.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I think the car you would be best with would be the XJ6 with the 3 litre V6 engine, unless you want to dump rubber, and spend money on petrol. I can get up to 33 mpg on long runs, (like to Germany for holidays), but normal "social domestic and pleasure" use it's around 24-25 mpg.

orangeblossom (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I think the car you would be best with would be the XJ6 with the 3 litre V6 engine, unless you want to dump rubber, and spend money on petrol. I can get up to 33 mpg on long runs, (like to Germany for holidays), but normal "social domestic and pleasure" use it's around 24-25 mpg.
Hi Fraser

Thanks for your feedback, that sounds like good advice and it would feel like I'm in Paradise if I had a Jag that could manage 24 mpg!