XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Thinking of going Jag -- buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going Jag -- buying advice

So, looks I can finally rid myself of our minvan. Not that having a vehicle that can suck in 4x8 sheets of plywood is bad, but I'm tired of driving such a pig.

Anyway, I've been looking at cars on the net and am quite surprised to see that a 2005ish XJ fits my budget nicely. I've always been partial to big cars, and this seems like what I want for a highway cruiser.

The only large issue I see on the forums seems to be the compressor. Is this issue contained on later models? For instance is it more prevailent on say 2004 but not on 2006 and later? How can you tell if the shocks are about to go out? The last thing I want is to drive a good ways to pick a car and find out I need to replace those expensive shocks. Is there a trick that some less than honest folks can use to hide the problem temporarily?

While the R seems pretty nice, think I'm going to save myself the heartache of a supercharger and the issues it may bring down the road. More parts to break and all.

I don't see any other large trouble spots. Is there anything else to keep an eye out for?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Giant Sloar
So, looks I can finally rid myself of our minvan. Not that having a vehicle that can suck in 4x8 sheets of plywood is bad, but I'm tired of driving such a pig.

Anyway, I've been looking at cars on the net and am quite surprised to see that a 2005ish XJ fits my budget nicely. I've always been partial to big cars, and this seems like what I want for a highway cruiser.

The only large issue I see on the forums seems to be the compressor. Is this issue contained on later models? For instance is it more prevailent on say 2004 but not on 2006 and later? How can you tell if the shocks are about to go out? The last thing I want is to drive a good ways to pick a car and find out I need to replace those expensive shocks. Is there a trick that some less than honest folks can use to hide the problem temporarily?

While the R seems pretty nice, think I'm going to save myself the heartache of a supercharger and the issues it may bring down the road. More parts to break and all.

I don't see any other large trouble spots. Is there anything else to keep an eye out for?
Unfortunately shocks go bad after a while and its not just because its a jaguar, i had a range rover and it had the same problem, other than, my jag has 87k miles on it and it runs perfect, i spent about 8k on it since 2008 july though, so it is not the most reliable car, but it sure is one of the best four doors ever designed, if i wanted another 4 door id definitely buy a 06 XJ but I'm saving up for an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or a Maserati Gran Turismo.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The air suspension compressor used to be a big issue mainly because it cost so much and did not seem to last all that long. Jaguar attended to the cost by introducing service exchange units at much less cost, but the compressors still last about the same length of time. So for the cash-poor secondhand owners, the compressor is likely to be needed at some time, but cost is bearable, even if not cheap.

The suspension units themselves last quite well, but are expensive to replace if they do go. As you will see on the forum, there is an aftermarket rebuild available much cheaper than the new ones Jaguar supply.

There is the corrosion issue which you can search on. Jaguar seem to not have learned all they might have before starting to paint these aluminium bodies. I have had to have remedial work done, and like all bodywork, being labour-intensive it is not cheap. This is a cosmetic issue, not safety.

There is a recall on the rear brake pipes at a location under the car. A Jaguar agent can check if the car has been done by quoting the VIN number. It is a free check and remedial work.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You will be thrilled to buy such a magnificant car for such a modest price, but be aware that they are expensive to maintain (as ALL luxury cars are). One recent response to a new Jag owner got it right I think. He said you have bought a beautiful $70,000 dream car for a deeply discounted $15,000 but that is not the complete story; you still face all the future maintenance and repair on a $70,000 vehicle. He suggested that you would be wise to think of the purchase price as a down payment. A man of experience speaking! Most but not all of us think the enjoyment difference is well worth it, but decide in advance if you can afford it. I have had a wonderful experience these past 4 years with my 02 Jag XJ8VDP (now 78,000 miles), but everything it needs costs more. If you decide to take the plunge, by all means locate a dependable independent Jag mechanic in your area. The good ones won't be cheap either, but you need to feel confidence in the diagnostics and repair advice you receive. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2004 is the first model year for the X350 series. From what I have seen and what my independent mechanic tells me, the 04s have had more than their share of problems. Some of that may just be because they are the oldest X350s, but I would avoid them (and probably the 05 cars too).

These are great cars, but as others have already said, parts, repairs and maintenance do cost more than a typical US or Japanese car, so be prepared for that. When you find one you are interested in, be sure to take it to a good shop and have it closely inspected before you make an offer. If you ask here you may get some good advice on mechanics in your area. Good luck

Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Don,t discount the R so quick. Supercharger (SC) problems are fairly rare and depending on how many miles you like to drive before trading cars you will be glad you have an R if you have accumulated high miles.ie a 100K + Jag without SC is hard to unload.

That being said, I prefer the XJ8 over the XJR for reasons of ride comfort, even though I bought an XJR. I know, call me crazy.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the "R". I have had 3 of them in the last 8 years and have not had any compressor issues other than he whine it makes when you put the pedal on the floor and it puts you back into your seat. Good luck

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

he's speaking of the air suspension compressor, I wonder if putting green slime in the air spring would stop air leaks? someone should try it with a leaking spring

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Jag has been making supercharged engines for a long time and have proven to be reliable.

The best out of the whole series of XJ350's is the Super V8. If I were to buy another Jag, it would only be that trim level of the XJ.

So far, my car has been as reliable as any car I can think of. If you want 100% reliable car, buy a Toyota Corolla.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I second the XJ

Now 52. Had a heart attack at 50. 6 months after that in, Dec. 2008 bought an 04 XJ with 44K miles. Now has 108K on her. 64K in two years, my daily driver with not a single issue. When I looked at the car it was at my friends dealership and the car was down on the ground. Bad shocks. They were replaced before I bought the car under the remaining warranty. Got a great deal two years ago ($17,200.00) and do not regret it one second.

After 1/2 a life time of used cars, (wife always got the new one) every thing from Dodge Omni to Merc 190E, the XJ is a masterpiece. A real "look back" car. (after parking, as you walk away, you look back to see the beautiful car you actually now own) Still do that occasionally after two plus years.

GET THE CAR.

I do most of my own maintenance, brakes, oil, fluids. Find a local "guy" Indi or there are a lot of guys that were in dealerships or independent garages that work from home. My "guy" only works on BMW/JAG/MERC/VW stuff.

If you can swing the R, do it. Although you will love the XJ8, as it is likely a nice step up from where you are now... I am already set on an XJR next time.....

GET THE JAGUAR...

Tom

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the input all. I really like the looks of the cars and the offered trunk space looks to be cavernous. Would be good for long trips. fairly comparable to a wagon almost. (My wife has zero idea how to pack light, been working on that for over 15 years).

The outlook does not look so bad. I do all the maintenance on my current cars myself. If needed, I can and have done a good bit of work on my cars.

I have asked around for some good indy Jag guys in my area and it looks promising.

The largest problem with so much electronics now is finding a buddy with a good code reader and getting the diagnosis right. I can do most anything that does not require heavy machinery or presses, as long as I have the entire weekend for it. I really just wanted to get an idea to what I may be getting into.

@JagMaster, what repairs put you back 8?. Were the required or were they delayed maintenance type work. Eg, timing belts, tranny services and the like.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

The trunk is pretty shallow, but it is pretty "long". I have no real complaint about the cargo capacity.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
So far, my car has been as reliable as any car I can think of. If you want 100% reliable car, buy a Toyota Corolla.
I had a Corolla in Geo Prizm clothing. The swich for the AC shorted, burned half the AC control panel before I realized what was happening. Luckly just turning it off worked fine. The parts were not in stock anywhere, so I had to drive around in August, in South Louisiana with half the dashboard disassembled and no AC or vent fans for about 2 weeks. Its hard to keep a professional appearance (PC consulting) when you walk into an office sweating bullets.

Good times.

So yeah, all cars can have their problems.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a 2004 - 46K miles, $14,500, private sale with full maint records from the dealership. I echo all those who caution on maintenance costs. My worst nightmare is a trip to the dealer. I know I can do a better job myself but some specialized tasks I may need them. So where I can I will do it myself. If a spring goes, well I'll be jacking the car up and getting out my tools. Brakes, oil, coolant, transmission service etc... will be done in my garage. I would say that if you have the time and inclination to do your own proactive maintenance, then you can save lots of cash and then well... the dice rolls on this car the same as any other. A bad roll could cost you big bucks.

The XJ8 is simply a joy to drive and frankly, call me totally biased but it beats the pants of of BMW or Mercedes. I own two other Mercedes, a R350 and a C320 Sports Wagon. The XJ8 takes #1 spot every time. I like my other cars, I love my Jag.

So there ya go, a totally biased opinion for you to ponder!!

Last edited by H20boy; 02-21-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: plz watch your 'spelling' Orjaguar. See my sig link for why.