XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Thoughts Please? 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

tbird6...
that was my thoughts. I use Proscan software on my laptop with a USB connected ELM327 obd link. A bit old fashioned by today's bluetooth standards, but seems to get the job done. So, that was how I understood the codes to work, P1000 if jsut reset, P1111 if test complete. Of course, being in CA, the obligation was on the seller to get the car smog tested before selling it to me, and that will not be passed unless the tests are complete.

Thanks for the sway bar tip, I will try that at the end of this week.
I think I have the shop manual, much bigger than my Vauxhall Viva Haynes manual, but must get the parts book too.

I programmed the Homelink system tonight to open the garage door, so one more item ticked off the checklist.

About to create a new topic on the audio input socket in my ashtray....

Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 PM

engine light came on today, along with restricted performance message, on the way to work. So had to sweat it all morning at work, then tiptoed home, connected OBDII, got P0171 and P0174. Reset them, but straight back on. Took MAF off, sprayed with cleaner, sprayed contacts with contacts cleaner, back together and all seems well. Test drive went well, but not counting my chickens just yet.
Fuel filter, rear diff oil and power steering fluid changes planned for tomorrow. Along with trip to DMV :-(

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by cooldood
engine light came on today, along with restricted performance message, on the way to work. So had to sweat it all morning at work, then tiptoed home, connected OBDII, got P0171 and P0174. Reset them, but straight back on. Took MAF off, sprayed with cleaner, sprayed contacts with contacts cleaner, back together and all seems well. Test drive went well, but not counting my chickens just yet.
Fuel filter, rear diff oil and power steering fluid changes planned for tomorrow. Along with trip to DMV :-(
Make sure all hoses are connected tightly to the rubber intake tube.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Cooldood,

I hope you enjoy your new vehicle. I also bought a salvage, here's how it went down. I went to look at a piece of crap in gray for $6k and his mate had "repaired" the sunroof headlining and there was brown goo all over the headlining and there were some body scrapes! Anyway can you believe I was still thinking about buying it when I went off to a salvage yard to get a the lenghty piece of rubber weatherstrip for my XK8 convertible top. The guy offered it at $50 which is half the price of another well known salvage yard online and fitted it in a few minutes for $15 more. I thought what a deal, I like this place.

While I was standing with my back to my car I noticed a few various models in a state of disrepair and a black XJ8 with a mesh grille caught my eye. It was covered in brown CA dust and the bonnet was a bit crooked and not closed properly. I asked what was wrong with it and the guy told me it had been in a front end accident and everything was replaced but the hood needed adjusting to fit properly. Long story short I took it for a test drive and loved it. Interior is immaculate, 52k miles, 2 new front shocks, has that beautiful pleated dove grey leather and navigation. They fitted the hood properly, washed it off and to my joy I realized it also had a perfect set of chromes and almost new Contisport tyres on it.

Not sure where in Cali you are but this place is in Sun Valley near Los Angeles and has everything Jag in salvage parts and also does repairs i think. (One of their regular customers drove his XKR down from Vegas to have them replace the convertible top). I have no affiliation but from my experience I would recommend them for parts. The owner is Armenian and very helpful but sometimes detailed discussion can be a bit tricky so I would suggest a personal visit is better than trying to order over the phone. Only thing missing was the exterior temperature sensor which Don B helped me locate with one of his nice photos! The owner said he would send me one free (twice) but it never showed up (I think it went to a wrong address which is why I recommend going over there.) Galaxy Used Auto Parts

Galaxy Used Auto Parts
11530 W. Sheldon St.
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Alan (another ex pat!)

The following 2 users liked this post by alanroberts50:
AD2014 (05-12-2014), Don B (04-25-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

A runner out of a scrap yard!

How much money do they have in CA?

Want to tell us how much Alan?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Very interested to see what issues come up with your 2004 XJR. I own one as well, with 77K miles. Well know owner/service history on mine. Air shocks are somewhat balky in the cold weather in NH but that should not be a CA problem. Plan to repair the air compressor prior to next winter.

RyeJag

Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Time for an update? Wasn't sure whether to stick it here, or start a new thread, but the search tool should help anyone looking for something relevant.

The car has been out of action for about two weeks as I removed the headlining and the sunroof. Unfortunately the new material took longer than expected to arrive, missing that first weekend and so she had to wait for the next weekend before we got the time to work on that.
The replacement sunroof went together well, the new headlining went on fairly well and all is back together.
Observations/things I did not see clearly mentioned in the forums.
Most of the trim on A/B/C pillars just pulls off, but A and C have restraining straps to stop the trim smacking you on the head when the air bag deploys. I got mine off without breaking the strap, but be prepared to buy knew ones if you do.
My 2004 SWB had reinforcing plates in the roof, alongside the sunroof, although workshop manual suggested these were for LWB.
To get headliner out, I went with rear seat out, drivers seat rotated 90 degrees. Door rubbers off, all upper trim off the pillars. Board came out rear driver side door, some bending, no cracking. Going in was harder, were we more scared of damaging new material? Used an assistant, inside the car, rotated passenger seat, went in through rear passenger door, a LOT of bending but it looks okay afterward, board is remarkably good at bouncing back.
Around the sunroof hole there are five clips that the headlining mounts into. Some will likely break, they seem to around $15-20 each. I was lucky, I had enough between the old and new sunroofs for a full set.
I updated all the courtesy lamps to LED, so the light is a bit whiter, but had trouble getting the centre console festoon bulb to work (they work in both sockets in the boot/trunk?!?!?)
Front seat removal requires an e-Torx (external torx) so I needed a new set of tools.
I replaced the roof line trim, the chrome trim that runs above the doors, up the A pillar, along the roof and down the C pillar. This "chrome" was discoloured and I was lucky enough to get both sides (and the rear screen surround) from the local breakers yard (where they pull it for you). These are held on by, I think it was 18, black (~$2 ea) clips and 4 white clips (~$4 ea) that break when you remove the chrome. Special order at the dealers, so that caused a few days delay and the 60 mile round trip for $50 worth of clips, nearly as much as I paid for the trim, but installation was then easy and they look 100 times better.
I got the rear sunshade working, as described in other threads, daughter #1 pressed power button, I pulled up, HARD, and up it came. Sprayed chain lube in the holes while doing the tracks on the sunroof and it seems to be going just fine now. Will need to exercise it on a regular basis, although not the 5 times every minute daughter #1 seems to think is appropriate.
Transmission flush this weekend, and a play with my Mongoose cable. Then some investigation of the suspension, and that is all that she seems to need.
Oh yeah, the fault code (P0171 and P0174 for anyone searching) was most likely related to a broken crankcase ventilation valve on the passenger side of the engine, the black pancake type thing on top with a hose attached. Used carb cleaner to find it. Maybe I lent on it and broke it? Attempts to repair were not successful, new one was ~$55 online. All seems well so far, but best to get more miles under the belt before getting complacent.

Hopefully this helps someone else. If anyone wants more details, just ask. If anyone local wants me to come along and watch them change their headlining, just ask, but I am hoping to not be doing it myself again anytime soon.

Have fun,
John

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

cooldood,

Its great to hear that your having success with an awsome car. My 05 XJR was a salvage as well and i have had it on the road for over a year. I had more frustrations with the WDS docking station I picked up. It too is now operational but somewhat frankenstiened together. I am waiting on a 3lb pulley to arrive from Powerhouse for my next modification.

Good Luck, Mike

Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Just like to apologize for my P1111 gaff earlier on.. Of course P1000 is the reset code. Doh !!! Didn't know what I was thinking.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM

Time for an update?
Engine code has not returned, I am claiming the new CCV as the cure there.
Completed transmission oil and filter change, all seems well.
Used Mangoose cable to wipe transmission memory and the lurch appears to be gone. Plan to check fluid level again in a few weeks, just to be safe.
Had windows tinted yesterday, 20% in rear, 50% for front doors, nothing on front windshield (matches my other cars and I have not be harassed by police) as it is getting warm again here. Looks lighter than my other cars as interior is lighter and there is more glass.
New headlamps due soon, will do one and compare, hoping it cures a slight, irregular flicker, but should guarantee more light output anyway.
Had other cars headlamps professionally restored locally, and plan on getting the same this weekend for the four Jag lights as there is a little frosting on the tops.
I guess painting the leather seats is next, but running out of things to do, will need a new project soon, maybe.
Enjoy your driving.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
A runner out of a scrap yard!

How much money do they have in CA?

Want to tell us how much Alan?

$7350 plus all the taxes smog, plates and reg. Total drive away $8500.
Scrappy is also a licensed dealer!

Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by alanroberts50
$7350 plus all the taxes smog, plates and reg. Total drive away $8500.
Scrappy is also a licensed dealer!
Nice one Alan.
It seems the cost of repairs is now quoted as so high here in CA, and I guess everywhere else, that cars are being written off with only relatively minor damage.

I need to let you know next time we are driving past on the way to Disneyland and we can compare salvage titled Jags.