XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Throttle Body Replacement, we are getting hosed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me clarify my "I don't buy it"

--They have a known issue with a failure that can cause a major safety issue: mine played up while I was making a left turn at a busy intersection
--They did campaign the previous generation cars (98-03)
--If they were really worried about liability, they would campaign these cars as well and have a permanent fix.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffer
I just replaced the throttle body on my XK8 in canada.the parts and labour came to $3000.I only had the car for three months when the fail safe mode kept coming on.I felt sick and now am afraid that I am going to have other issues.Not sure if I should keep it or dump it .But I love it!!
Exact same case that happen to me ! I after the $1600 repair i saying to myself " damn i better sell this damn thing " LOL

Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Selling the car is probably not the answer. Hopefully that is the biggest expense you have for a while (knocking on wood).

A colleague of mine with a Lexus LS430 (a very nice appliance) was giving me grief about the breakdown until I pointed out that the part that failed was made by Denso (Toyota). How's that for irony?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with those who thing this is bull**** and should be an recall.

I had mine also changed (got it for $800something) couple of months ago after suffering from "everything's fukced" message & limp mode.

It's utter nonsense that parts like these fail at 40k miles in such numbers in a car that costs as much as it does.

Wake up Jag, why do you think people are going elsewhere?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Add me to the list for having this replaced. Mine failed Monday. DSC fault, Park Brake fault, Engine fault. On a whim, I unplugged the MAF sensor and was able to get the car into "Restricted Performance" and get home.
Took to dealer yesterday and ended up paying just a bit over $1100 with labor, tax, etc. The code was P0121, Throttle Assembly Open Circuit.

Oh, well. mileage (and performance) SEEM to have improved. Maybe over time this will pay for itself.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What are the mechanical symptoms, if any, of a failing throttle body?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by twmccracken
NAPA sells Echlin TPS for $150
Is that the one that is used in the Jag?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder why these fail ? I cleaned out my Throttlebody and electrical connectors last fall. Hope that extended the life of mine.

I must add, theres was alot of goo type film coating the TB and the blade. I used up almost a full can of throttle body cleaner and my MF cloth got filthy. mileage was 72k.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

The TB is a "drive by wire" - no cable to the TB connecting the gas pedal, but an electronic sending unit at the pedal and a receiver at the TB.

The TB has two electronic devices - one is the motor (receiver) that operates the butterfly valve, the other is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) which is essentially a variable resistor. One of these two electrical units loses its way and no longer (or intermittently) delivers the range of voltage to the ECM for a given TP; therefore, the ECM takes it as a system failure (which it is) and goes into "lockdown mode". I have a spare TB on my shelf which I am going to "get into" to see if there is anything we can do outside of a new TB; BUT, this is a dangerous game too, which I am well aware.

Last edited by steve11; 06-08-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 PM

yes I understand that, my civic has dbw as well. what I was asking was if me cleaning the connectors and blades and springs somehow extended the life ? silly I guess

Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
ud

Originally Posted by StrateLoss
yes I understand that, my civic has dbw as well. what I was asking was if me cleaning the connectors and blades and springs somehow extended the life ? silly I guess
Strateloss - I would think, no problem in trying, I do that too as a matter of course when replacing a TB.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

This "Fly-by-Wire" stuff leaves me absolutely stone cold; just what benefit does it give to the owner ? None as far as I can see. There needs to be a drive back to simplicity for all our sakes. Money for exotic technology is going to be tight in future, so automotive development engineers need to rein in their secret passions to see what can be made to work, even if their ideas are of no value whatsoever to the PBO !! (PBO= Poor Bloody Owner)

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think DBW is a govermental ploy! They want to control us in everyway. Think about it...... All you need is a receiver somewhere on the car and it can be controlled. haha!! Truthfully, I can't stand the delay! It makes the car surge if you press the pedal at to fast of a rate and it happens just about the same time as the 1-2 shift.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

GM already has it with their ONSTAR service. If your car gets stolen or you are running from the police, ONSTAR can slow the car down and then shut it off. This may be good if your car is stolen, but don't **** off the ONSTAR people. They just might shut you down!!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
ud

Yes, lots of thing are possible with DBW. For one, it is what makes the speed sensitive cruise control work. They say that police are already working with gear that can govern throttle postion the way they do already with bait cars.

Eventually you could literally govern a car's speed along surface roads and highways to only operate at a given speed limit.

But, I'm firmly with Fraser on this one. I just wish they would quit "electrifying" every single function on the car. I am very nervous when I know the gas pedal isn't really connected to anything.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 PM

It helps with 'pump losses' and that helps with emissions and economy.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1998 xj8 l v8 4.0

I have been suffering the limp home and evry possible dash report code under the sun, Jaguar says nothing is wrong but after 9 Jaguars I have to say to them how stupid do I look, I finallt cleaned the Trod Bod, MAF, new filter , new plugs and lastley the TPS and I refused to give up and buy the assembly, I ran into a site ran by a jag owner She's Fixed! TPS Problem Resolved! | Jeeves and the Jaguar and follwed his lead, it is a shame that we must learn to repair our own cars to ensure quality! Do not be afriad to work on your Jaguar if you truley love it it will be a piece of cake, I know my Jaguar inside and out and there is nothing I would not repair myself, dont be fooled into replacing your transmission, check the TPS first!!!!!Dammit Jaguar do somthing about this, it is a shame that you know and your dealerships know about this and the cruise control failure that could kill an unskilled driver yet you do nothing read the posts and act to it like all of us would expect you too. Your cars are wonderful and have beome a passion for most of us however I refuse to go any higher in year because the quality and craftsmanship just keeps dropping year by year, the 98 problems were enough for me I will never go newer until you do somthing.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say this just happend to me last week. After the research TB ended up being the problem. I have a excellent independent mechanic shop that lets me bring my own part. Found a new factory part on eBay for under $500 shipped to my house and they're charging me $300 for the labor. I figured for $800 total I was still up $800! I will say that the whole situation is BS! Every dealership had a different price anywhere from $800 - $1000! This shouldn't be a part that makes you want to get rid of the car.... but it does... They know it's a problem, won't make it a recall, and it really makes people shy away from such a wonderful car...

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Replacement, we are getting hosed