XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Tilt & Telescoping steering wheel stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Tilt & Telescoping steering wheel stopped working

I will try to cover all the bases so, hopefully, someone can help me determine how to undo my mistake.

This started with a new bulb for the center dash clock. I needed to replace it as the old one was out. I removed the bezel and the eight or nine screws holding it all in place so I could remove the clock/bulb. I had lowered the steering column all the way down and all the way out. As I didn't have another bulb and was not able to source one locally, I had to order one. It came a few days later and as opposed to replacing everything and then removing it all again, I just put a couple screws back to hold it all in place until the new bulb came in. The column moved just fine after that, until... I was working on other issues, to include multiple instrument lights illuminated. I hooked up the SDD and went through several things. Some of them were instrument clearing, device add/remove, and several other things. My battery died a couple times and I charged it with both a charger and with jumper cables. The battery is dated March, 2014. while I was going through everything, I had noticed that the wheel would not go up or down, but would telescope w/o issue.

A few days later, the bulb came in. I installed it and put everything back together. I had gone through the Column Alignment on SDD and when I moved the knob, it went up about 1cm and then stopped. It stopped telescoping, either way, then as well. When I rotate the knob, I can see the different commands on the instrument cluster for pedals (which work fine BTW), Auto, and column adjust. It's a good thing I am skinny now and can slide in and out under the wheel as it's almost all the way down.

When I have it on Auto, the seat will adjust properly when the key in inserted, but the wheel with not move no matter the knob setting (auto, etc). I do not hear anything when I move the knob (when set to column or auto) and I tried what I've seen some recommend; move the knob up and down/back and forth quickly six to ten times to try to "reset" it and use external force when using the knob (pushing up with my knees while pushing the knob up) to no avail. I tried to locate a fuse, but I cannot find one for the tilt steering.

This issue didn't start until I started mucking about with SDD on the instrument cluster coupled with bad grounds (earth) behind the right side head lamps (both posts snapped off at the base when I went to loosen them) so I created new grounds for them. I have used JB Weld on the posts and have not had a chance to try to put the nut back on since the epoxy finished curing yesterday morning. I am not hopeful that it will stay attached to the base when any force is applied, but I'll cross that when I come to it. I have good grounds for them now, but they are temporary as I intend to remedy the current ground issue with something more permanent soon if the JB Weld does not hold.

It does seem possible to me that the contacts or motor is worn and/or failed, but it seems like it'd be an awful coincidence if it did while I was fiddling with it.

I don't know what else I can add that to explain the situation, how/when it occurred, and what I've done so far.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ideas! Thanks!!!

Last edited by ragman1171; 08-21-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

As you have surmised, fiddling around would seem to have disturbed the connections between the switch and the motor. LIke all modern cars, I suspect the switch merely sends a command to the Front Body Control Module that then commands the motor. I would say it's definitely a bad connection somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As you have surmised, fiddling around would seem to have disturbed the connections between the switch and the motor. LIke all modern cars, I suspect the switch merely sends a command to the Front Body Control Module that then commands the motor. I would say it's definitely a bad connection somewhere.
Hi and thanks for the input. I didn't know what module, connection, or device to look at, but now I have somewhere to begin with the Front Body Control Module. I surely hope that it's something I inadvertently disconnected and can be remedied with ease...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I had a look through my copy of the Technical Notes of 2003.5. In the section for Instrument Cluster it states, inter alia, that the cluster "provides the control for the steering column position".

In the section for Steering Column it states that all connections are made via a single 10-way plug and socket.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (08-25-2014)