XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Timing chain tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing chain tensioner?

Thinking of picking up a 2007 XJ8. I don't the answer but all of you should. Is there a problem with the timing chain or it's tensioner as there was with my 99?
I just don't know.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Short answer is "no", should not have tensioner problems.

The last of the X308s and I'm pretty sure all of the X350s going forward were fitted with upgraded timing gear and even an improved primary chain assembly.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

harvest is right. timing tensioner issues were only with 308's. Thank god it is a thing of the past with 350/358's. Along with niskil.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Mechanic telling me my x350's timing chain is cause throttle body issues!!!

Hi everyone this is my first post after buying my x350 in 2015 with 140,000 miles.
I recently had my throttle body changed at a independent jag shop because it started to fail. I've attached the codes I had prior to any work being done as well.
After dropping my car of at the shop the mechanic calls me and says " you need a new timing chain and tensioners because your car is making a noise when you start it up for a second then goes away. I explained to him that the car always made the noise since I brought it 2 years ago. He says I definitely need a throttle body also to solve the limp mode issue. The mechanic replaced the throttle body front height sensor and rear sway bar links. I payed drove the car about 5 miles stopped at a red light stepped on the gas once the light was green now the car goes into limp mode after throttle body replacement. I have the car towed back to the same shop now the mechanic is saying the timing belt is causing the limp mode. My question is could the timing chain cause the throttle body to fault. The noise I hear during start up sound more like a VVT Unit issue based of my own research recently.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly, they do still suffer from timing chain/tensioner issues. Not very often, to be sure, but my 150k one owner from new with a full main dealer service history has just had the chains, tensioners and VVT's replaced. Not an inexpensive job by any means. Whilst doing that job I also had the valley hose replaced, always a good idea for a £20 hose when the sc is off. Anyway, runs like a dream and no noises.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph Hemp
Hi everyone this is my first post after buying my x350 in 2015 with 140,000 miles.
I recently had my throttle body changed at a independent jag shop because it started to fail. I've attached the codes I had prior to any work being done as well.
After dropping my car of at the shop the mechanic calls me and says " you need a new timing chain and tensioners because your car is making a noise when you start it up for a second then goes away. I explained to him that the car always made the noise since I brought it 2 years ago. He says I definitely need a throttle body also to solve the limp mode issue. The mechanic replaced the throttle body front height sensor and rear sway bar links. I payed drove the car about 5 miles stopped at a red light stepped on the gas once the light was green now the car goes into limp mode after throttle body replacement. I have the car towed back to the same shop now the mechanic is saying the timing belt is causing the limp mode. My question is could the timing chain cause the throttle body to fault. The noise I hear during start up sound more like a VVT Unit issue based of my own research recently.
I'd do two things:

1) start your own thread highlighting the problem instead of tagging it onto an older unrelated issue

2) find a new mechanic. This guy sounds 'special'.

The following users liked this post:
Ralph Hemp (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

+1 on that. Sounds very special!

The following users liked this post:
Ralph Hemp (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
+1 on that. Sounds very special!
Thanks I'll start a thread today.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I'd do two things:

1) start your own thread highlighting the problem instead of tagging it onto an older unrelated issue

2) find a new mechanic. This guy sounds 'special'.
Thank you I'll definitely get a second one before I give this guy anymore $$$

Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Fisher
Sadly, they do still suffer from timing chain/tensioner issues. Not very often, to be sure, but my 150k one owner from new with a full main dealer service history has just had the chains, tensioners and VVT's replaced. Not an inexpensive job by any means. Whilst doing that job I also had the valley hose replaced, always a good idea for a £20 hose when the sc is off. Anyway, runs like a dream and no noises.
Was the noise from the VVT Unit or the Timing Chain?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Special

That's funny.
I had never heard of a bad mechanic call that.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph Hemp
Was the noise from the VVT Unit or the Timing Chain?
One of the tensioners was the issue. The VVT's were replaced at my request while the car was apart as a precautionary measure.