XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Tire Sensor Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Sensor Light

My tire sensor light came on my 2008 Vanden Plas. I had the sensors checked they were all good. I had the light reset and after about 100 miles the light came on again. The tire pressure is perfect and the sensors are all in order. Any ideas what can be the cause for this malfunction or if anyone else had this problem with their car. Any guidance is appreciated.

Old 07-12-2024, 06:14 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SymbolicMike
My tire sensor light came on my 2008 Vanden Plas. I had the sensors checked they were all good. I had the light reset and after about 100 miles the light came on again. The tire pressure is perfect and the sensors are all in order. Any ideas what can be the cause for this malfunction or if anyone else had this problem with their car. Any guidance is appreciated.
Battery each at-wheel transceiver uses has a ten-year life expectancy.

OEM ones can, and have, gone longer, but that is not the same as "forever".
This family of battery is engineered to deliver near-as-dammit "level" output until end-of-days, then fail abruptly. It does what it was designed to do, so 'testing' is best done with an ignorant calendar.

El Cheapo ones at five to ten percent the cost of OEM and up? Some are OK. Some batteries are DOA?

Other CAVEATS:

- If ordering OEM, early generations use the same frequency BAND as is used by the remote key fob.

- In-tire OEM & clones require wheels pulled, partial - or even full - breakdown of each tire for access, reinflation (balance?) and remount. Not cheap. Not "instant", either.

- External aftermarket types do not communicate with the onboard system. The "CCF" would have to be edited to TPMS "not equipped" to turn-off the warning text and caution light.

Despite that last annoying nuisance....I migrated the L320 to external sensors that screw onto the valve stem and have their own reporting head - with tire/road temperature as well as pressures at each wheel. Tymate M7-3. They have competition.

'So far' their one-year battery life looks good @ two years, and refreshing batteries doesn't even need them removed from the valve stem, let alone wheels pulled and tire bead broken.

I'm still smiling!

I left the caution message active. It now serves as a reminder for me to actually freakin' LOOK at pressures and temperatures at the independent display head. Which also beeps on per-tire preset thresholds ....and/or freezing conditions.

I'm never going back to 'in tire' sensors. Better-off with NO sensors - just the high-grade analog gage and portable compressor I stash in each vehicle.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-12-2024 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pete M (07-12-2024)