XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Totaled my baby :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017 | 01:24 PM
|

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. After extensive parts searches and trying to justify things, I had to cut my losses and let her go this morning. I feel that the insurance payout was fair, and the cost for visible parts alone added up to more than it was worth, even considering used parts. I can buy another one with a clean title for around (or less than) the payout price.

I have located a one owner 2009 VDP with full service history that I'm going to check out this weekend. I hate to see mine get turned into beer cans, but sometimes you just have to cut losses and do what makes sense.

Old 06-16-2017 | 02:59 PM
|

Originally Posted by hisport
IMHO, $10K is a fair payoff

You can replace this car for that amount, though you may need to travel to pick it up

I lived in a similar neighborhood in Wilmington (Landfall), and know the drill

Salvage title makes new insurance, etc tough, plus v poor resale value (if you care)
Agreed. I contacted NC DMV and it seemed like an annoying process to get it re-inspected and registered again. (Shocker) I didn't care about resale because I had no intent to sell the car, but there was the question of being able to get full insurance coverage again after repairs.

Old 06-16-2017 | 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Sadly, insurance rules in your regions. Here in Hong Kong, we have learned to always weigh carefully the opportunity costs of bothering the insurance company, the potential risk if you don't report (third party claims), and the cost of self-arranged repair. The last one has no limit, if that is your own drive with sentimental value, but total would be a sad ending where nobody wins. That said, a pal in the legal profession managed to fight for higher compensation on grounds of valuation of the car by expert in the motor trade.

A more practical option now is simply letting go, and finding a new love.

Old 06-17-2017 | 10:08 AM

Compliments on your decision

Also, the car you're considering - being late model - is perhaps the best of the X350 breed. A lot of things were put right by '09 (I have an '07 XJR)

While resale value of these cars is deplorable, they're one of very few vehicles worthy of love...