XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Touching up BRG paint chip on rear bumper X350

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Touching up BRG paint chip on rear bumper X350

I am one of these people that believes that painted bumpers are one of the world's great conspiracies. I had my rear bumper repainted only a year ago due to cosmetic imperfections. Last night I was relying on the rear parking sensor too much. It did not pick up a vertical metal post.

After a light impact with the metal post, I've lost a large chip of British racing green paint about 2 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter. There appears to be white plastic showing.

(It came off so easily that I question whether the last place the repainted the bumper properly. Shouldn't there by more than a thin coat of paint over the plastic?)

I care about cosmetics but care less about the bumper <b> which should be designed to be bumped</b> than the rest of the vehicle.

Do dealerships sell BRG touch up paint? How bad would it look to DIY something like this? I have no spraying tools but suppose I could rent something for a job this small.

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

This company makes excellent custom color spray cans: Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup great for these kind of touchups. Be sure to get clearcoat also.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Will try.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Is it British Racing Green or Jaguar Racing Green ?

On my car, (Jaguar Racing Green), I have had some difficulty getting a match with aerosols, but finally got a can that was pretty close although not perfect. Thing is, on the bumpers the difference in shade is not really very noticeable, unlike painting the upper panels, so you should be OK.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Noooo! I feel your pain...I'd be in tears!

I know it's a bit late to say, but I'd suggest a simple hair dryer to warm the glue (to touch hot) and it will come off in a breeze...clean the residue with a bit of Isoprop Alcohol.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:29 AM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

I fixed an under-bumper ding. I wouldn't like to do the middle of a bonnet, but I'm good where it doesn't show!

Get the colour code, it'll be on the door pillar left front door pillar. (along with the leather colour code).
Any modern paint shop can type the code in and computer-match it. Either spray cans or touch-up paint. (I have both)
("They" mix it one-off even in small quantities. If you're as lucky as me (sometimes), they might put the leftovers from filling a spray can into a bottle at no charge. Of course, have your car outside to check)

More complex, is that if paint has knocked off then you will have to use filler or primer to get a perfect surface before you apply final coat. (final coat hides nothing) You should expect to end up with a final patch about twice as large as the original ding.

Also, some fillers or primers can shrink over weeks to months...all I can do is warn you. I can't say which ones shrink or don't.

Also :-) , some paints can be cut (1000/2000grit or Brasso) and some can't. This shouldn't matter if you do a clear overcoat, although the clear overcoat is likely to have some "orange peel" at it's terminus. This is why panelbeaters will generally only paint an entire panel.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 06-22-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by TallXJDriver
..... I've lost a large chip of British racing green paint about 2 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter. There appears to be white plastic showing.

(It came off so easily that I question whether the last place the repainted the bumper properly. Shouldn't there by more than a thin coat of paint over the plastic?) .....
The flexible bumpers require the use of elastomeric primer and paint. I don't have the X350 Body Repair Manual but here's the relevant extract from the earlier XK which will be the same process:

Note the paint section I've boxed in red.

Graham

Old 06-22-2020, 03:42 AM

I'm afraid that the section from Jaguar Cars espoused by Graham, is crap IMHO (except for warranty of course)

OF COURSE a small repair in a bumper might "split" the paint in another ding.

Sorry GGG, Not Helpful. Not unless you have something useful to say about which paints are flexible. (or some relevant personal experience)

I had a Big Ding in a Mitsubishi bumper some years ago. No idea what paint it was. The panelbeater kicked the (big) ding out from the inside and off I went. OTOH, a Ford Mondeo bumper will just shatter, as my elderly father did many times. I have no idea how Ford got away with such a dangerous bumper. Thank God Ford only "owned" Jaguar, which were largely separately developed I think.

It was not my intention to criticise Jaguar, but this is the company who couldn't even properly paint the X351 steel sunroof surround. Do you have anything useful to opine about that?

Last edited by ChrisMills; 06-22-2020 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:20 AM

I should say, relative to my dissertation above, that spray cans or any other type of touch-up paint, is single-pot whereas the original paint is 2-pot (I assume)..
But it doesn't really matter. Not for an under-bumper repair (or close to). It'll be covered by a clear-coat...of sorts...perhaps...and with a bit of luck the next ding might be an insurance job....

Last edited by ChrisMills; 06-22-2020 at 04:22 AM.