XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

tpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default tpms

Hi looking for some advice, I have a set of spare rims for my 2007 xj8 and in the process of shopping for winter tyres, don't know whether to buy a set of tpms sensors or not, I know I will get the little red tyre warning on the dash but am I going to get a warning message as well, when I put my daughter in laws winter tyres on without sensors all we get is the little red tyre on dash which is no big deal, she has a Japanese import, However If I did fit the sensors I have read that can be a problem too,getting them to set up properly, anyone with any experience on that, lastly the wheels call for 235 50 18 tyres, is there another size that would work? grateful for any help you can give,
regard
Dave
2007 xj8

Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Dave,
I had a valve stem break off and I put the spare on. I then got "check spare tyre pressure" warning with no tire warning lights or symbols. The message would go out completely a minute after start up.

Now I broke a second valve stem and put the repaired spare back on but that was repaired with a regular valve stem, no sensor. Now I got "Check LF tyre pressure" and "Check spare tyre pressure". Day two and I am getting multiple TPMS warnings.
The icon, orange light, "Check spare tyre pressure", "Check LF tyre pressure",TMPs "system fault", TPMS "system failure". I am now getting so many messages that I expect it now to say "bend over, we are going down"

I hope this is all caused by the system missing two sensors and replacing them will quiet down my dash board. You would think with many modern cars today having a TMPS, replacing a sensor is cut and dry, well think differently. I have not found a parts store yet that can give me a definitive answer. Some say 315 MHZ and others say 433 MHZ, the consensus here is 315 MHZ. Now even with the right MHZ people are having problems matting to the system.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Barry, I think the correct sensor is the 315 MHz one, I was looking at a web site that sells oe sensors at a decent price, I have also seen lots of folks having problems getting aftermarket sensors to work, have also seen a few on a well known tire suppliers web site report they have had no problems and they connected after driving for a bit, I still have a few months before the snow arrives so I hope to get more info/advice .
regards
Dave
2007 xj8