XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Tranny service hell

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Tranny service hell

Well, I'm in a bit of a quandary...I took my 05 VDP in to get the tranny service as I had all the parts from CTSC (hurt my back or I was going to do it myself).
Found a Local recommended tranny only shop who assured me they were familiar with the ZF.

got it back and it started throwing codes. I don't recall exactly what, but they said it was a poor ground, found one of the grounds by the headlight was loose..they also added a ground strap for good measure by the tranny.

I'm still getting tranny fault and she's going into restricted performance.

I erase the codes and they come right back.
Codes I pulled today are: P1643, P1797, P1000.
Also says the right side turn signals are out...although the bulb looks good.

My guess is they didn't get the mechatronic sleeve right?

I was just going to hobble it back to them and say 'get it right or take it to the dealer'...when it decided that it the gear shift won't come out of park (wth?). Now stuck in my driveway blocking the other cars in...grrr....

what to do? it's been a rough week...two babies and I ended up in the hospital...stress is building here

thoughts?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:05 AM

just to add to the fun...I got it out of park, put it on the street running and thought 'I'll hobble her right up to the shop via back roads'. I said goodbye to the kids and as I approached the jag...it locked itself...??? running, with my briefcase etc all inside.

My wife has the other key and is in a conference call for another hour or two.... fun, fun!

Maybe I need a priest? it's possessed?

Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I too have a possessed Hypochondriac jag. even with 2 new wheel sensors it randomly throws sensor codes and Restricts itself and goes berzerk with no provocation. You might try Unhooking the batter and leaving the cables touching eachother for a while. In Theory, that is supposed to clear the codes or reset something. For me sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Ive avoided the Trans service our of Fear of such things happening

Old 11-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issues as yourself a couple of years ago after having my tranny filter, oil and connected sleeve replaced. After several visits to dealer it was the connecter pins that were contaminated with oil, they unplugged the harness and carefully cleaned the pins. I ve never had an issues since. It was just a sloppy job done by the tech. I have a post on this that will explain it all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Louenigma:
AD2014 (12-08-2015), rosskuhns (11-29-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My XJ6 locked me out at petrol station once, fortunately the wife had left her window down 6 inches. otherwise it would have been a disaster, was 450 miles from home.
I always remove the key or leave a door open now.

But there is a TB doc for S type on this with modified dampers- Black plastic Plug, just bought 2 from jag spares shop. Havent fitted yet.

But it described the fault just like my XJ.
I also remember finding a page somewhere that had a foam washer being added but couldnt find it again

Part No is XR849116 FITS INTO FRONT DOOR HANDLES

Old 11-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Found the TB --501-37v2

Old 11-29-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Louenigma
I had the same issues as yourself a couple of years ago after having my tranny filter, oil and connected sleeve replaced. After several visits to dealer it was the connecter pins that were contaminated with oil, they unplugged the harness and carefully cleaned the pins. I ve never had an issues since. It was just a sloppy job done by the tech. I have a post on this that will explain it all.
thanks, thanks- that is my guess of exactly what happened! Or they just didn't seat the mechatronic well...I pulled the codes myself and one was generic, the other two were about communication between the tranny/ecu's...it worked just fine before so what changed...hmmmm

thanks for the contamination issue, I'll add that to their list to check.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Louenigma
Here's Louenigma's thread if it helps anyone else:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ormance-98103/