XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

transmission drain plug leak 2005 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission drain plug leak 2005 XJ8

Could not find this on a thread maybe not sure how to search for it, Have a transmission drain plug leak lately, 2005 XJ8 super, I narrowed it down to the plastic oil pan drain plug. Bought a new plug with the seal that comes with it, same thing happening again, few drops on the floor every day.. I tried not to tighten it too much, then tightend more same results, it leaks. Any sggestions please on what to use when I take it apart AGAIN, Teflon tape, blue locktite, or? These seems so flimsy made of plastic and not sure what would stop a leak like this. Whatever I do I have to drop the transmission oil back out again then repump it back in.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When my electrical sleeve leaked it look like it came from the pan around the drain (lowest point) until I noticed a slight film of fluid above the height of the pan and traced it back to the sleeve but it was not obvious - just saying -the origin is not always that easy to see. The plastic pan is known to crack, but the sleeve is almost inevitable from what I have added together.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drain plug

yeah I hear you, its the first thing I carefully kept looking at the (Electrical harness) was very dry around it. when I tighten the drain plug you can even see a bit of oil oozing out. So I think in my case it seems, seems to be the drain plug area was hoping to put some teflon or black rtv or blue locktite! as it is a new plug took from the transmission pan I'll change one day! I might have tightened the previous one a bit much. I guess either way have to empty the case again. That electrical harness as well in my case you have to remove the transmission bracket to put your hand close to it! very tight spot and seems to me it doesn't matter if you take the pan or not in terms to ease the job for yourself. Has to be the bracket to get to it.. But have bought that harness seal as well thinking that it was the problem.. thak you for the response keep them coming please.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 AM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my advice - I would not drive the car with a band aid on with the risk that there potentially could be a bad leak and your transmission would be destroyed. Link below is properly the cheapest place for ZF parts and they have good service.
The CTSC - ZF Parts
Get it over with replace the pan and sleeve and give it new fluid - it will properly take a little more fluid since it has leaked so maybe the 6 Qts as in the package is not enough? There are links on the forum for doing pan+filter+sleeve+setting of fluid level - there is a good link on the S-type section. Sleeve will leak sooner or later which in my opinion might be good since it results in new trans fluid which keeps the ZF's running - no fluid is lifetime!

Last edited by MTW; 12-08-2011 at 09:22 AM.