Transmission fault correction procedure corroboration needed. Have SDD

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission fault correction procedure corroboration needed. Have SDD

Transmission fault correction corroboration needed. Have SDD VCI presently

Corroborate with me getting this big cat restored:
1.Communications failure with transmision control module
History. Began with car not coming out of park. Started just didnt come out of park. Removed console.Swapped a good shifter to fix probem, no change, so put back original shifter. Then checked for voltage on one of the wires with a multimeter. No short created just placed probe checking for voltage on one of the wires. Everything was then silent (as far as the starter) when put in the key and turn it over to start the car do not get a sound from the starter. Kept new battery nice and charged with a trickle charger. Put an SDD on it and received the following:
Communications failure with transmision control module
Dash says transmission fault
It is Orlando FL
2004 XJ 128324 miles 1 owner car (before me) traded in for a Te-sla.
Transmission fault correction procedure corroboration needed. Have SDD. Ofcourse then will work to resolve other DCI.

Last edited by BReyes; 07-24-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

the car will mechanically get out of park and into 1/R no matter what

override the shifter

https://youtu.be/PJUE5Htobms

Old 07-24-2021, 06:57 PM

Everything is silent (as far as the starter) when put in the key and turn it over to start the car do not get a sound from the starter.

SDD reads (as shown in the OP screen shots):

Last edited by BReyes; 07-24-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BReyes
Everything is silent (as far as the starter) when put in the key and turn it over to start the car do not get a sound from the starter.

SDD reads (as shown in the OP screen shots):

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

page 71

check the capacitor

Last edited by xalty; 07-24-2021 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BReyes (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
Thank you for the help and the 2004 MY electrical guide pdf. I have previously read a 2005 xj electrical guide pdf. I have /will continue to use search feature, as I need to find info/test for the capacitor. I am next accessing the capacitor. I will post when I find it and test it or ask more. First thought is the capacitor is behind the left side kick panel, second thought is, is the TCM the solenoid in the transmission (hoping for the best in this repair).
ps., TCM, and J gate fuses were previously checked out good.
Thanks for your help and patience as I have a full time work schedule.

Last edited by BReyes; 07-24-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:04 PM

This is the electronic front module behind the left side kick panel. Thought it would be best to post a pic of it and ask if that is where above referenced capacitor is. The EFM doesn't say TCM. Please advise best course. I should remove it. Should I test the pins in the connector. I only want to do what is proper so as to arive at the part that needs testing/R&R and to minimize issues.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 AM

Still working on the diagnosis/inspection of the capacitor...

The location accessed /photographed above may not be the module with issue.

Looking at the 2004 MY XJ Electrical Guide, pg 26 states that the 'TCM is contained withing the transmission.'

Please advise where is the transistor? And if you know who is a recommneded resource/contact to advise on/service the JLR modules (With Pcars, given a car with a CDI issue, I have a contact who resores the CDI). BTW my indi contact is Bill at AJ in Longwood.

Last edited by BReyes; 07-28-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Suggestion.
Note all the codes currently in SDD.
Google each one and see what it might apply to. Think outside the box.
Reset codes.
See which ones come back. Focus on those.

Low battery should surely not affect this, but best to avoid it going to too low of a voltage while using SDD.
Consider one of these to help maintain battery while using SDD https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BReyes (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 11:13 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Right forest - wrong tree! You have a voltage problem to start with. This will throw many of those codes. CAN bus drops out and you get com errors and incorrect data floating around. Check your battery voltage under load. It could also be ground faults however my first guess is too low a voltage to the system. Once you have good voltage SDD will show you that in the top right of the screen. You can also check some module voltages in SDD live data.
When voltage is good, clear the codes and try to start again and see what codes come back. Post those and many will jump in to help.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldKarz:
BReyes (07-29-2021), paydase (08-20-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 02:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Just for ***** and giggles:
When you put the key in and turn to position two, look down at the shifter and what light is illuminated? If it's not P, you have a different problem than what you're chasing.

BReyes (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by cooldood
Suggestion.
Note all the codes currently in SDD.
Google each one and see what it might apply to. Think outside the box.
Reset codes.
See which ones come back. Focus on those.

Low battery should surely not affect this, but best to avoid it going to too low of a voltage while using SDD.
Consider one of these to help maintain battery while using SDD https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hello cooldood,
Appreciate your comments, and helping me with the SDD. The battery is new, charged and connected to a professional battery charger set at trickle charge, before connected the SDD. This problem first manifested itself by running vehicle would not come out of park

"Started just didnt come out of park. Removed console.Swapped a good shifter to fix probem, no change, so put back original shifter. Then checked for voltage on one of the wires with a multimeter. No short created just placed probe checking for voltage on one of the wires. Everything was then silent (as far as the starter) when put in the key and turn it over to start the car do not get a sound from the starter. Kept new battery nice and charged with a trickle charger. Put an SDD on it and received the following:
Dash says transmission fault"

Now nothing happens when turn the key-nothing. I was expecting that with SDD I would be able to reset everything and to arrive at what components to test and replace defective parts. The SDD reads the screens I posted (see original post). Haven't found a thread on how to reset codes. Do you know how I may reset the codes?

ps. I am trying to track down the communicatons problem, transmission fault problem, and resolve them.

Last edited by BReyes; 07-29-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Right forest - wrong tree! You have a voltage problem to start with. This will throw many of those codes. CAN bus drops out and you get com errors and incorrect data floating around. Check your battery voltage under load. It could also be ground faults however my first guess is too low a voltage to the system. Once you have good voltage SDD will show you that in the top right of the screen. You can also check some module voltages in SDD live data.
When voltage is good, clear the codes and try to start again and see what codes come back. Post those and many will jump in to help.
Hello Oldkarz
Appreciate your comments, and helping me with the SDD. The battery is new, charged and connected to a professional battery charger set at trickle charge, before connected the SDD. This problem first manifested itself by running vehicle would not come out of park. I have disconnected the battery at different times, as well as charged it, before and after this problem first manifested itself, and when reconnected battery, and before I connected SDD, I charged the battery, then set it on trickle, then connected the SDD, keeping battery connected and set on trickle.

What first occured was, the car started fine, "it then didnt come out of park. Removed console.Swapped a good shifter to fix probem, no change, so put back original shifter. Then checked for voltage on one of the wires with a multimeter. No short created just placed probe checking for voltage on one of the wires. Everything was then silent (as far as the starter) when put in the key and turn it over to start the car do not get a sound from the starter. Kept new battery nice and charged with a trickle charger. Put an SDD on it and received the following:
Dash says transmission fault"

Now nothing happens when turn the key-nothing. I was expecting that with SDD I would be able to reset everything and to arrive at what components to test and replace defective parts. The SDD reads the screens I posted (see original post). And I see the first line says problem with voltage. Please advise if you know how I may reset all these codes. And what I may do once the CAN drops", I haven't found a thread on how to resolve problem when CAN bus drops out and you get com errors and incorrect data floating around.I checked all the grounds and all clean. I checked all the fuses and all good.

Last edited by BReyes; 07-29-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by oilstain
Just for ***** and giggles:
When you put the key in and turn to position two, look down at the shifter and what light is illuminated? If it's not P, you have a different problem than what you're chasing.
Hello Oilstain, Thank you for your help. Regarding your question, the answer is no, the light is off completely, and it is the same problem Xalty advised me to look into first. I am trying to figure out the communications problem with the transmission module. He recommended I get to the capacitor. And I haven't found it yet (possibly on the firewall).

I am trying to track down the communicatons problem, transmission fault problem, and resolve them.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:52 AM

Why do you refuse to find the electrical voltage problem? The first item in your dtc list is for the system voltage. The modules will not communicate with one another when the voltage is low. You have almost all modules throwing faults because of this. You cannot correct the transmission until all modules chat to one another.
To check again, erase your codes and run the check again to see if you still have the voltage issue.
A trickle charger is useless for trying to keep the voltage where it belongs. If you look at the voltage monitor in the top right of the SDD screen it shows the voltage is low. Put something on it to make it stay green while you are testing. During tests there are times a draw of 30 amps made. A low voltage to start drops to a level the modules will drop comm!

paydase (08-20-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:31 PM

Hello, OldKarz, The voltage is good and I have rest the codes in SDD. Once I am up to speed, I am able to excel (aside: JLR is not an easy make to master, but ever since my sophomore year in high school when on my walk home after school, when I walked past a XKE roadster everday, I was hooked on the make. An enthusiast still. Enrolled in shop and graduated high school with honors in auto body, later have mastered several makes, and have MBA ).
I have learned that diconnecting the battery and working must be done with the utmost care, to prevent these CAN bus drops,

I reset the codes

This is a principal problem I am working to resolve

Old 08-02-2021, 01:36 PM

Why do you refuse to find the electrical voltage problem? The first item in your dtc list is for the system voltage. The modules will not communicate with one another when the voltage is low. You have almost all modules throwing faults because of this. You cannot correct the transmission until all modules chat to one another.
To check again, erase your codes and run the check again to see if you still have the voltage issue.
A trickle charger is useless for trying to keep the voltage where it belongs. If you look at the voltage monitor in the top right of the SDD screen it shows the voltage is low. Put something on it to make it stay green while you are testing. During tests there are times a draw of 30 amps made. A low voltage to start drops to a level the modules will drop comm!
Oldkarz, Thank for your help. Not intentionally refusing any advise of my esteemed members. I am learning SDD. I just learned how to reset DTCs(see pic on prior post).

Last edited by BReyes; 08-02-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: edited to show the charger i presently and its settings
Old 08-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

focus on getting the jgate module to light in park and start the car, talking to the tcm can wait.

you don’t need a maintainer to read codes or do basic diagnostics just make sure the battery is good

Last edited by xalty; 08-02-2021 at 02:20 PM.
BReyes (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BReyes
Hello, OldKarz, The voltage is good and I have rest the codes in SDD. Once I am up to speed, I am able to excel (aside: JLR is not an easy make to master, but ever since my sophomore year in high school when on my walk home after school, when I walked past a XKE roadster everday, I was hooked on the make. An enthusiast still. Enrolled in shop and graduated high school with honors in auto body, later have mastered several makes, and have MBA ).
I have learned that diconnecting the battery and working must be done with the utmost care, to prevent these CAN bus drops,

I reset the codes

This is a principal problem I am working to resolve
The only reason that is your "principal problem" is because, most likely, the transmission is the only info you put in SDD to get it to help you. You have to put in all symptoms for it to give you the list of problems in the order you should proceed. Disconnecting the battery will not throw comm faults. Low voltage or bad wiring will.

paydase (08-20-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 01:34 PM

I am working on determining the source of the problem of, shifter will not move out of park position (of course the little black wing procedure gets it out of park, but that is besides the point presently as problem now includes, it will no longer start), no light on the shifter, no start (no sound when turn the key):

History. Problem began with car not coming out of park. It started just didnt come out of park.
  • No light illuminated on the j gate.
  • No beeping (I dont recall if it was earlier, but presently no beeping [With the key out of the ignition, moving the shifter to the left closes the not-in-park switch and a beeping is heard from the instrument cluster]).
  • Fuse F33 (passenger footwell) is good.
  • Brake switches: Seem to be working, look properly aligned and brake lights are operable. May have to revisit again with more definitive tests.
  • Mechanical problems investigated, none found yet. Checked shifter cable bolts at the tramsmission and both were tight. May have to revisit again to determine where else, other than at the transmission shifter cable bracket bolts, I may check for slack.
  • I swapped a presumably good shifter (I removed console) in order to fix probem, with no change, So I reinstalled the original shifter. May have to revisit again with another shifter assembly. Then checked for voltage on one of the wires with a multimeter. No short created just placed probe checking for voltage on one of the wires. Everything later became silent (as far as the starter) when put in the key and turn it over to start the car do not get a sound from the starter. But between determining would swap shifter and where am presntly it doesnt start (makes no sound whatsoever) and there are no lights indicating what gear it is in.
  • I haven't found voltage at the connector (green) to the shifter assembly. I have to check my notes about what wire I previouisly tested for voltage (and found none).
Thanks again for your help.

By posting, I also hope to provide help to others who would follow.

Last edited by BReyes; 08-05-2021 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-07-2021, 09:04 AM

I am interested in determining why the j gate gear indicator lights are not illuminating. I am looking at the the green connector and the wiring which seems to disappear down and rearward below the carpet/seats:
Here is a pic of the connector/wiring I am interested in testing next

And the following are a couple of schematics:

Quick Reply: Transmission fault correction procedure corroboration needed. Have SDD