XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission fault correction procedure corroboration needed. Have SDD

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

The usual reason is that the module is not being sent messages telling it to light them, or is not receiving them.

E.g. if the shift cable is loose at the trans side (one or both bolt loose or missing), the messages are not sent.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JagV8
The usual reason is that the module is not being sent messages telling it to light them, or is not receiving them.

E.g. if the shift cable is loose at the trans side (one or both bolt loose or missing), the messages are not sent.
JagV8 Thanks for your help. I
I reset the codes, still have reading the communications problems mentioned above. i have been double checking all previous work, cleaning the grounds although each is clean (the dirtiest one was the engine ground cable, I examined/removed/cleaned it and resinstalled. The shifter cable bolts are tight. The (round)connector to the transmission is clean. Checked the pins (with key on and key off) at the green connector to the j gate and have some readings but havent found what each pin is supposed to read.

Last edited by BReyes; 08-09-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:38 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

What are all of your codes now, after clearing them, including 'unrelated codes'?

Old 08-11-2021, 10:52 PM
Default 081121

Originally Posted by OldKarz
What are all of your codes now, after clearing them, including 'unrelated codes'?
Hello OldKarz, Thanks for all your help.
I am getting through SDD, slowly, and based on the appreciated help from the members, and doing it over and over, I am able to recall faster, how to get back to certain screens.

So far today I have the following (I selected many of its symptoms. p.s. so far service includes: new oil/filter, coolant, plugs, coils, brake pads, suspension air compressor, lower oil pan gasket. R&R EGR to decarbon); (console is presently removed along with rear climate controller). Hope I am on the proper symptoms/ screens so far:

Last edited by BReyes; 08-11-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:17 PM

You have comm faults on every bus and between most major modules. The likelihood that every bus is bad is fairly remote, unless this car has been in a flood at some time. You also have a number of module voltage faults as well as drive circuits not being correct.
The most likely problem is bad power/ground circuits as noted before. At least SDD is seeing correct battery voltage during this run - which it was not doing in the first set you put on. As long as that battery icon stayed green during all of your tests the battery/ power supply is not triggering the faults. However this does not mean there is not a power problem at a ground or power connection point along the way.
You could try SDD live data for all of the module voltage that are there. Since some modules are not chatting they may not return their internal voltage. Make sure you have every module connected, since some are series or pseudo series circuits that bring other modules down if they are disconnected.

The following 3 users liked this post by OldKarz:
BReyes (08-12-2021), paydase (08-20-2021), Sean W (09-25-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:58 PM
Default Capacitor

Originally Posted by xalty
Hello Xalty,

Thanks for your help. Is this the capacitor you mentioned I should check. (see below pic -of area upper right side of firewall, upper area behind damper top mount/wheel well, right side of engine. A small bolt is showing. the connectors (looks like 2) are barely visible as the area between the wheel well and firewall is very small, and that bolt may be how to remove the connectors from the metal wheelwell area) I dont want to remove it until know more, in case you or someone else knows if this it the capacitor you mention, and then what pins to check and the expected values-

Last edited by BReyes; 08-17-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:06 PM

You have comm faults on every bus and between most major modules. The likelihood that every bus is bad is fairly remote, unless this car has been in a flood at some time. You also have a number of module voltage faults as well as drive circuits not being correct.
The most likely problem is bad power/ground circuits as noted before. At least SDD is seeing correct battery voltage during this run - which it was not doing in the first set you put on. As long as that battery icon stayed green during all of your tests the battery/ power supply is not triggering the faults. However this does not mean there is not a power problem at a ground or power connection point along the way.
You could try SDD live data for all of the module voltage that are there. Since some modules are not chatting they may not return their internal voltage. Make sure you have every module connected, since some are series or pseudo series circuits that bring other modules down if they are disconnected.
Hello OldKarz,

Where/what do I check/remove.

All connections I have seen so far are undisturbed. Ps No flood that I know of.Only wet carpet I have found after heavy storm is right rear floor board and I vacummed it dry. The loom seems to be under the sill cover not the lower part of the floor board where right rear passengers feet would rest.

The black box (second pic below) in the lugggage compartment, aft of thge battery, with the thick power cables coming from the battery has been previously opened and the connections inspected/checked when I was looking at/checking the fuses and grounds. I will reopen the box reinspect/check again.

The following pics from luggage compartment. Module in pic in left side drivers kickpanel posted in previous post posted again below as last pic.

Back seat coming out asap...

Last edited by BReyes; 08-18-2021 at 06:54 AM. Reason: to mention backseat coming out asap
Old 08-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Default Harness connector to ja gate module pins resistance values-Ohms

Spoiler

Green Harness connector to j gate module pins resistance values: Ohms values at harness side (battery disconnected): pins 9 yellow & 10 green; and pins 11 yellow & 12 green:

pins 9 yellow & 10 green= 118.5 Ohms
pins 11 yellow & 12 green= 120.4 Ohms

Checked All Fuses and all tested good:, Double checked below listed fuses and again all good.

Cabin FB:

F15: ECM, FEM
F19: Ignition Relay, ECM, REM, Fuel Pump relay, Start relay
F33: TCM, JCM, Alternator
F41: Ignition Switch
F44: Brake switch

Last edited by BReyes; 08-17-2021 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Fuses checked
Old 08-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Default I am looking for the SDD live data screens presently

Right forest - wrong tree! You have a voltage problem to start with. This will throw many of those codes. CAN bus drops out and you get com errors and incorrect data floating around. Check your battery voltage under load. It could also be ground faults however my first guess is too low a voltage to the system. Once you have good voltage SDD will show you that in the top right of the screen. You can also check some module voltages in SDD live data.
When voltage is good, clear the codes and try to start again and see what codes come back. Post those and many will jump in to help.
Hello Oldkarz,
Thanks for your help. I am looking for the SDD live data screens presently. I dont think the following screens is the live data screens , but i am posting them to show you in case they are. THere are com problems I am working to understand how to determine their resolution and will be looking close at the wiring. so far all wiring looking good and all connections look good.

Below are pics from screens i vehicle scan today

Last edited by BReyes; 08-17-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
focus on getting the jgate module to light in park and start the car, talking to the tcm can wait.

you don’t need a maintainer to read codes or do basic diagnostics just make sure the battery is good

That is what I am trying to do gentlemen. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:48 AM
Default Found first connector with corrosion.

Oldkarz, Xalty, other members,

I wanted to let you know that under the right side back seat base, I found a connector with corrosion, due to water ingress, and will be repairing the water ingress source and cleaning this connector next. Please advise your thoughts as to the next step/ best way to proceed after I do the above?

Later, after the area under the rear seat bottom /floor board area dried out a bit, and after it sitting all day, I cleaned the pins. I used my small files and cleaned the pins and will go over them with the small files once again.

And I am still looking for the leak into the cabin. No other ingress of water into the cabin other than the right rear of back seat and into the right rear floor board area.

No visible problem found yet other than the corrosion from the connector getting wet from water ingressing into the cabin under the right back seat bottom.

Last edited by BReyes; 08-18-2021 at 10:05 PM. Reason: to show pins/connector not visibly damaged
Old 08-19-2021, 10:25 PM

After cleaning the pins in the connector that I discovered had gotten wet under the right side back seat bottom, using SDD I cleared the DTCs and ran the symtoms again.

Car still does not start, will not crank when turn the key, shifter lights are not illuminating.

See today's (081921) new list of related and unrelated DTCs in this post. Possibly you can help me read today's SDD screens and advise with next steps I need to do. I appreciate all your help.

Can you help me analyze this and advise on the next steps

Today after cleaning the above noted connector (081921), the above screen shot still has the same question marks as the screen posted on 072421. But today (081921) the number of related DTCs decreased significantly (using the same symptoms[and I included the screen shots of the symptoms I selected too. ps the console is still out and I have a too low condition both of these I mention as FYI)

Todays 081921 DTCs

Related DTCs:
U2532 (6%) ABS CAN message timeout fromthe TCM
P1582 (50%) Throttle monitor data available
P0860 (100%) Gear shift module communiction circuit
U2522 (6%) CAN message timeout from the TCM

Unrelated DTCs
C1093 (0%) Traction control disable switch circuit failure
B2832-18 (0%) Front right mode servor motor drive fault
B2842-02 (0%)No description available
u2525 (0%) CAN missing mode fault
P1000 (0%) System check not completed since last memory clear
P1643 (0%) CAN link ECM TCM network malfuntion
U3FF6 (0%)

With patience, take your time to advise what to do next. Thanks
I too am thinking through these things SDD says, and each of your learned words are helpful. ps there are more screens SDD has such as SDD live data you mentioned above that I need to know how to find/if found, and learn more about interpreting the results. But what especialy comes to mind today other than obtainiing and swapping another shifter assembly, is defining, and learning where every possible point to look for CAN bus drops, COMM falults/COMM errors, and driver circuits not being correct, and module voltage faults.

Related DTCs 081921

Unrelated DTCs 081921

unrelated DTCs 081921

Symtoms noted as much as possible

If you know, let me know what you would do next, would you....

Thanks!

Last edited by BReyes; 08-19-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

BReyes,
I have re-read the full thread.
I note in your first post that the car became silent after you put back the original shifter.
Did you correctly reconnect that shifter? There could also be a failure in the electrical system as a consequence of this swap...
Did you find out where is located the "capacitor"?

Old 08-24-2021, 04:42 PM

Just a quick reply first. Run SDD and only enter comm problem, not transmission or anything else. See what it pulls up as related codes for that. It looks like your main problem. There may be others however so many are triggered because comm is flaky that it is hard to know what is real. Make sure all of the connectors at the J-gate are connected fully since the bus passes through and gets killed at that point if disconnected.
I will look through your last comprehensive post again and see if any pointers/guesses can be given. For some reason I am not getting notifications when the thread has been updated/replied to.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:28 PM

Just a quick reply first. Run SDD and only enter comm problem, not transmission or anything else. See what it pulls up as related codes for that. It looks like your main problem. There may be others however so many are triggered because comm is flaky that it is hard to know what is real. Make sure all of the connectors at the J-gate are connected fully since the bus passes through and gets killed at that point if disconnected.
I will look through your last comprehensive post again and see if any pointers/guesses can be given. For some reason I am not getting notifications when the thread has been updated/replied to.
Hello OldKarz,

Thanks,
I did the symtoms using only the comm problem (best I could so far).

I think I am getting closer to finding the power problem. See couple of point below.

Do you have a commnet on where the capacitor mentioned in a reply (post 4) above .
I am doing j gate diagnosis.

ps
ps. I am seeking a 2004 x350 manual do do the j gate pin test/diagnosis, as the 2005 XJ8 manual has a j gate diagnosis, and demonstrates 2004 is not same electrically. 2004 XJ8 is different from 2005 XJ8.

I am looking at the J gate pin readings I will let you know when I receive a proper 2004 XJ8 manual

2004 Jaguar X350/... is different electronicallyu from 2005 Jaguar X350/... If anybody here needs 2005 XJ8 manual; lmn on pm (7000 pg pdf).

Old 08-26-2021, 01:27 PM

Don't get hung up at the J-Gate. It will not function and give lights unless the TCM verifies the position. Your previous post shows the J-Gate reporting it is in PARK but the transmission thinks it is NEUTRAL. So the J_Gate seems to be reporting correctly.
The comm is working properly through it, since the ABS unit is responding. The ECM is also responding which means the TCM itself will not chat. Either TCM has gone belly up, has lost programming, has bad connection.
I would start at the ABS connector, since it will let you read the values, both in and out. CAN + to -ve should be 120 Ohms in both directions. The only things on the CAN bus out are the ECM and TCM. If it is more than 5 Ohms or so out from 120 there is most likely a problem. The ECM and TCM are in parallel from that point. See what your vales are and we can go from there. If the resistance is less than 120 disconnect the TCM and verify it is then 120.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Same symptoms as when the shifter cable is loose on trans side (two 8mm hex bolts).

Old 09-06-2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Same symptoms as when the shifter cable is loose on trans side (two 8mm hex bolts).
Hello Jag V8,

Thanks for your help. I have checked the shifter cable (twice) again after post 21, and posted my reply to you about it and with a pic in post 22.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:05 PM
Default DSC (ABS) pin out diagarms

Don't get hung up at the J-Gate. It will not function and give lights unless the TCM verifies the position. Your previous post shows the J-Gate reporting it is in PARK but the transmission thinks it is NEUTRAL. So the J_Gate seems to be reporting correctly.
The comm is working properly through it, since the ABS unit is responding. The ECM is also responding which means the TCM itself will not chat. Either TCM has gone belly up, has lost programming, has bad connection.
I would start at the ABS connector, since it will let you read the values, both in and out. CAN + to -ve should be 120 Ohms in both directions. The only things on the CAN bus out are the ECM and TCM. If it is more than 5 Ohms or so out from 120 there is most likely a problem. The ECM and TCM are in parallel from that point. See what your vales are and we can go from there. If the resistance is less than 120 disconnect the TCM and verify it is then 120.
Hello Oldkarz,

I have researched the diagrams to ascertain which are the pins to start out testing. If possible see below diagrams (hope they have enough resolution in order to be read) along with me to confirm /call out/ help me determine the correct pins to test, ie, CAN+ to -ve.

DSC (ABS) Connector top of image is top of connector as plugged into DSC Module

2004 Jaguar XJ8 Symbol Diagram

2004 Jaguar XJ8 DSc Module Pin Out Diagram

2004 Jaguar DSC Schematic Diagram

Old 09-09-2021, 09:23 AM

Quick Reply: Transmission fault correction procedure corroboration needed. Have SDD