XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission had the sqauk, oil changed, fixed, now another problem (Let's discuss)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Transmission had the sqauk, oil changed, fixed, now another problem (Let's discuss)

Hey Folks,

As the title says,,

Few months ago I posted a thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-176958/ if you want to take a look at it ( Few pages long)

Long story short, I had the linch, bark, sqauk or whatever people call it between shifts. Read a lot about it and found out that almost all people had it fixed it with a simple transmission flush and fresh oil, magic worked for me too!!!

Three months later now I have another problem with the transmission and here are some of my notices about the behavior

1. When shifting from R to D or R to P there is a hard jerk (occures rarely).

2. Shifting points are higher than usual (usually will shift under 2000 rpm especially at low loads. Now it could go up to 2100 or even 2500 rpms though my driving style did not change since I changed the transmission oil.

3. the car has developed a clicking sound between shifts and a very minor slipping occures when shifting from 4-5 gears.

4. On some days, the transmission will act completely and I mean 100% fine like if the vehicle was brand new and some days the previous notes I stated above.

IDK if this is worth mentioning but my battery has probably 30% according to a Jag dealership where I recently serviced my vehicle.

Anyone had this occure to them before? the clicking and slippage after transmission oil change?

if yes how did you go about fixing it? Did you reflash the ECU or TCM?

Any input will help and thanks in advance

Sam

Old 05-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Check fluid level

Originally Posted by croco
Hey Folks,

As the title says,,

Few months ago I posted a thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-176958/ if you want to take a look at it ( Few pages long)

Long story short, I had the linch, bark, sqauk or whatever people call it between shifts. Read a lot about it and found out that almost all people had it fixed it with a simple transmission flush and fresh oil, magic worked for me too!!!

Three months later now I have another problem with the transmission and here are some of my notices about the behavior

1. When shifting from R to D or R to P there is a hard jerk (occures rarely).

2. Shifting points are higher than usual (usually will shift under 2000 rpm especially at low loads. Now it could go up to 2100 or even 2500 rpms though my driving style did not change since I changed the transmission oil.

3. the car has developed a clicking sound between shifts and a very minor slipping occures when shifting from 4-5 gears.

4. On some days, the transmission will act completely and I mean 100% fine like if the vehicle was brand new and some days the previous notes I stated above.

IDK if this is worth mentioning but my battery has probably 30% according to a Jag dealership where I recently serviced my vehicle.

Anyone had this occure to them before? the clicking and slippage after transmission oil change?

if yes how did you go about fixing it? Did you reflash the ECU or TCM?

Any input will help and thanks in advance

Sam
check the fluid level. Get up to temp, shift through gears while stationary. - then remove fill plug and add a little fluid. Excess will drain out. Reinstall drain plug.
Adaption should occur over time. I have flushed two without any programming.
Battery change may help.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It may well be an engine issue, as they can upset the trans.

Use OBD live data and at least check sensors for plausibility then LTFTs.

Battery affects everything so if in doubt at all just change it!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Have the plugs and coils been replaced? If not replace them. These can cause these exact symptoms.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Received 13,203 Likes on 6,552 Posts

Hi Sam,

+3 on battery health being critical in most modern Jaguars.

Regarding your transmission service, what fluid was used? Lifeguard 6 or Mercon SP?

When I changed the fluid in the transmission of an '06 XJ8L with similar symptoms (using Mercon SP), most of the harshness went away, but the issues were not resolved completely until I cleared the stored adaptations from the TCM and then updated the TCM firmware to the latest version available in SDD v131.03. At that point the transmission was nearly perfect, and the owner reported that after driving the car for a few days so it could re-adapt to his driving style, the transmission was shifting like new.

Some owners who don't have SDD have reported good results from doing the "hard reset" routine of disconnecting the negative battery cable and touching it to the positive cable terminal for some period. Accounts vary, but probably a minimum of 2 minutes is good. Some owners have clamped the terminals together overnight, but that's unnecessary. This process drains the capacitors that power the keep-alive memories such as the TCM shifting adaptations and ECM fueling & timing adaptations, so the car will behave differently until it re-adapts to your driving style.

Cheers,

Don