XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission leak/drip

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Transmission leak/drip

With the clock striking midnight, a new day is rung in and my cat knows it's time to throw another problem my way. After not being able to sleep over a vibration coming from the DS front wheel when turning right I decided to jack the car up and take a look at the wheels at 2am, that's when I found the new surprise kitty had left me.

On the garage floor was a very small pool a transmission oil, probably no more than half a cup or 100ml. It appears to be dripping from the mid to high part of the front right of the bell housing where the transmission and the engine join.

Anybody know what could be causing the leak?

Last edited by JagsteRJX; 07-09-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:55 PM

Ok, so after some more investigation today, I noticed there was a very small pool of fluid that was leaking from the front passenger side engine bay (just behind the coolant reservoir. Initially the fluid was clear and oily, but then I could see orange in it. I decided to check the coolant level in the reservoir and yep it was down. I checked the fluid pool further back under the transmission and it too was orange and oily.

Hopefully, this is just a coolant leak that is blowing back on to the bell housing and not a transmission leak & coolant leak.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Found the cause of the leak, the return intercooler house had been punctured by the prongs on the clamp of the hose below. Coolant was leaking down onto the blower snout and probably running down the engine to various places before pooling on the ground. I had removed my Mina induction elbow the day before, and replacing it must have skewered the hose onto the clamp. I rotated the clamp so its prongs are facing away from other hoses and I've band aided the hose with tape for now.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Rather bugger something up oneself, learn what & how it happened, than pay someone else to make the same mistake, and learn nothing for your time money and aggravation. Not for me, fix up my own problems, as well as my own fu-- up's along the way, hope for the best, expect the worst, never be disappointed.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I called into the Jaguar *********** to get a price on the part and repair, they wanted $140 for the return hoses, as they are all crimped together, and they wanted $300 in labor. So, that's $475 just to fix a pin hole in a small hose. I'll just remove that section of the hose and replace it myself for a few dollars.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
Yeah, I called into the Jaguar *********** to get a price on the part and repair, they wanted $140 for the return hoses, as they are all crimped together, and they wanted $300 in labor. So, that's $475 just to fix a pin hole in a small hose. I'll just remove that section of the hose and replace it myself for a few dollars.
No Doubt! I would do the same.