XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission oil change report. Castrol ATF

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

thechizza, thanks for posting man.I love going out of city limits with the car just to enjoy driving it on the open roads.the thermometer is needed to get an accurate reading on the fluid temp,which will tell you if you have enough/too much in there.Any thermometer works fines because you have a 10degree celcius window to cap off the fill hole.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting stuff. Inspires me to do my own.

So just to be sure on one point: you put the car on jack stands and put it into drive while going through the gears?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 PM

yea, thats what I did. simplest way for me. I dont recommend ramps because the car is RWD and the front wheels have no resistance, that can be VERY dangerous.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good point. I like your enthusiasm! I'm going to have to do this myself.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 PM

well I changed my motor oil today and good thing I DIY... On the bottom undertray I noticed oil spotting right where the transmissions electrical connector (you know, the one that leaks :/ ) is located.

so it looks like my electrical sleeve isnt safe from that leak, good thing Im going to change the pan in a month or so : )

Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Strateloss

I bought athe atf fluid and was gonna try to attemp to do the transmission fluid change but am a little nervouse about it, I was wondering since I live in NY would you attempt to change it for me? of course I would pay you, also I wmight be able to watch what you do so I can learn (I'm not a mechanic, but am pretty savvy with repairs.... thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Hey guys, is it necessary to have the wheels spin when you go through the gears? When I did this job I kept my foot on the brake and went through the gears (allowing no wheel spin), I still managed to get 7.5 qts. of fluid back in.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Wheel spin is not necessary. You just have to get an engagement in reverse and drive like you already performed.
When the transmission is drained there are always a couple/few quarts left in the torque converter. This is why you won't be able to add the same amount as listed on an initial transmission fill.

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Hey guys, is it necessary to have the wheels spin when you go through the gears? When I did this job I kept my foot on the brake and went through the gears (allowing no wheel spin), I still managed to get 7.5 qts. of fluid back in.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frank M
Wheel spin is not necessary. You just have to get an engagement in reverse and drive like you already performed.
When the transmission is drained there are always a couple/few quarts left in the torque converter. This is why you won't be able to add the same amount as listed on an initial transmission fill.

Thank you Frank!

I had the dreaded sleeve leak and when I drained about 7 qts. came out.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by thechizza
Hey Strateloss

I bought athe atf fluid and was gonna try to attemp to do the transmission fluid change but am a little nervouse about it, I was wondering since I live in NY would you attempt to change it for me? of course I would pay you, also I wmight be able to watch what you do so I can learn (I'm not a mechanic, but am pretty savvy with repairs.... thanks
Where in brooklyn are you ? I can refer you to a shop that I found can perform this.

I dont really have the time to do yhis nor the will with the humidity. Let me know if you want the shop. I can get you an exact address and phone number.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM

The wheel spinning IDT is neccesary, I only did that when I was doing multiple drain and fills in one shot.

If I didnt I would be draining all new oil on every drain but the first.

I am nearing 80k so come september when this heat sdies down, change filter gasket and electrical connector then no more oil changes for the life of the vehicle.

May just get the TCM firmware updated afterwards.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by StrateLoss
Disconnected the battery terminals, then I let the two terminals (NOT THE BATTERY POSTS) touch for about 10minutes (lit up a ciggerette, walked away and smoked it , then came back) and reconnected tbe battery.

Or just disconnect the terminals, leave it disconnected for a while to drain all the circuits on the ECU's and resistors (a few hours). Then go back and reconnect the battery, start the car and let it idle for 10minutes.
And I thought the TCM (transmission control module) has flash memory and powers down when the key is turned off. It receives data from the ECM such as throttle position, speed, brake activity. It learns from that data and stores it in flash not to be changed unless one attaches a computer with special software to delete learned data.

Now, how much voltage does a resistor store, that it can be drained.??

Last edited by Frank M; 07-29-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to keep intruding on you guys, I am just perplexed about this "mysterious ZF". When I changed sleeve, pan/filter and switched to Castrol Import, I did not disconnect the battery or "reset" the TCD at all. After buttoning up the tranny, I simply lowered the vehicle and drove off. I did not notice any difference in how the tranny shifted, sounded or the like.

My question does the ZF still think that it is being lubed by the original ZF fluid?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I am talking about the firmware and not the adaptive driving feature. There is a tsb referring to this. Im no tech so I dont have these details but the tcm controls how and when the trans shifts.

The tsb address "lurching". You can google that

Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Frank your probably better off leaving your programming as is. The relearn to a smooth operation takes a while.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Strateloss

I'm in Brooklyn toward the queens side (woodhaven/ozone park/howard beach), but I can go anywhere in brooklyn if you can recommend a good mechanic that would do my tranismission fluid change, my car currently has 66k miles...

Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 AM

Ok, its on coney island avenue and around 18th avenue. I will get you an exact address as soon as I go around there. Within a couple of days.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the queens ny area?
I'm having lurching problems/ gearbox fault. i want to eliminate all possible issues before doing a tranny change. thank you

Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I did this following the instructions on you tube....just google jaguar transmission fluid Chang you tube Great video ...it's a xk8, but a model with our transmission. I used the same fluid and filter. It has been 5k miles and shifts a lot crisper.

I used a cordless impact gun and had no problem with the bolts. If you have a stuck one, just drill off the head. This guys process is to intensive.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil change report. Castrol ATF