XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission rebuild suggestion (NV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild suggestion (NV)

Hello forum folks! Anybody have a good suggestion for a transmission shop in Nevada or nearby? I have visited several and got zero confidence and insane quotes. I had great luck with the forum finding shops in the midwest, if anyone could suggest someone near Vegas or even Arizona that would be great.

I have reached my limit of skillset and tools dealing with my issues, almost positive it is the E- clutch, so may as well get it rebuilt while it is all tore apart IMO. I have found some awesome BMW shops that do ZF work to how I would like it done, but wont touch the car due to the software adaptions needed after.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2023, 04:00 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you considered to shipe it to reputable service center?

Old 06-20-2023, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Koshka
Did you considered to shipe it to reputable service center?
I have. That will be the next step, spoke with the owner of Baca transmission today, very knowledgable and seemed ready to do the work. I feel alot better and will report back, I legit ran into a bunch of bunch of clowns out here - also the dealerships won't touch anything 10 years or older. So much different than Ohio, Indiana, Michigan.

Old 07-05-2023, 01:08 PM

WELLLLLL - Not impressed by the shop, just got the car back a week later.

My Implicit ask? Drop the pan, see if it has any mechanical bits in it, let's try the solenoids first etc. "Oh no problem, that is exactly what we will do" "Please do not just read me a code and come back, understand?" I have code reader, I know what the codes are already.

Call back again after three calls back (they told me it would be looked at within a day - "Oh, we read the codes, needs a full rebuild". Lied about one of the codes too. Unreal. No way I leave it there for a month for these clowns. Unreal. Nobody would talk to me or look me in the eye when I picked up the car.

Last edited by djsizzle; 07-06-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:17 PM

Here is the new plan - found a good BMW shop, super nice guy. $500 bucks to drain and fill - they will inspect the clutches etc for metal around the magnetic plug/smells etc. Nobody in this town - including Jaguar themselves will flash the TCM to reset the adaptions or upgrade the software (I am not sure what version I have anyway) so I plan to buy the Jag software - would love a good suggestion for cable and software package, most of the links are now broken in the forums. Flash it myself after the service/inspection. At least I will know where to go from there - cheapest I have been quoted is $5k and car out of commission for up to a month, by a bunch of straight hacks, so I am cool with blowing the $500 to find out.

Any flaws in my plan? I am sure there are a ton! =)

Old 07-05-2023, 10:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Thisis where I got mine:
https://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/id...ose-v138-v131/
I have not installed it yet: working out to clear old computer of junk..
After I got mine, I have seen better prices at other places.

Old 07-06-2023, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Big Koshka
Thisis where I got mine:
https://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/id...ose-v138-v131/
I have not installed it yet: working out to clear old computer of junk..
After I got mine, I have seen better prices at other places.
Awesome. Thank you! I was thinking of going here. Anyone have a good trip report with this kit?

Old 07-18-2023, 07:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I ran into the same issue with my Porsche Boxster that has the ZF 5HP19. Talked to shops and no one wanted to touch it - even told them I would pull it. They would work on the same transmission out of a Passat or BMW - in the end their ignorance scared me away.

So I rebuilt it myself. Ordered $30 in tools off Ebay to press the clutch pistons and watched some videos, and found the ZF manual on line. It was not difficult at all. The hardest part was sourcing a new torque converter - which ended up with me sending mine in and having it rebuilt ($300 total with shipping).

Your wasting $500 - if you drop the valve body you have to replace some seals - the seals are the ones - one would use to check if the pistons are working with air. You cannot tell much from magnets unless there is a ton of metal, and you will hear this. What are your codes, symptoms and tranny fluid condition?

I have rebuilt the valve body on my two BMWs (if I recall the same transmission as the Jag) and didn't bother with adaptations. The car will figure it out (and both did). There are some write ups on this forum, which I followed for my BMWs. That experience and familiarity with the ZF way helped during my Boxster rebuild.

The following users liked this post:
Big Koshka (07-19-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 07:03 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Yo - DJSizzle -

This is Mike From Columbus - I see you're back in action!!!

Unless I missed something, your post for transmission help doesn't specify what car you're working on - just that it's a ZF - in a JAG or BMW?

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter, just wanted to give a shout out hello.

Mike