XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission is slow after ATF change

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Transmission is slow after ATF change

I hope someone can tell me if this is normal - it really concerns me.
My sleeve was leaking - I had the car towed in to the dealer - they replaced pan+filter+sleeve. They used a total of 7 quarts so an estimate of 1 Quarts was lost. Got the car back. It appears to shift more smooth but when I floor it it seems to pick a gear higher than before and basically kicks down so the rpm starts at around 3000 instead of as before at around 4500. When coming to a stop it shifts into 1st very late. It does not change anything when I push the S-mode. The car was in normal mode when I got it - I usually drive it in S-mode. Is this normal after a fluid change any suggestions?? - is the trans relearning and I should be patient??

Thanks a lot
Martin

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 PM
MTW

Talked to the tech at jag dealer and he stated the trans does not need to relearn and that it most be something internal - all of a sudden - I don't think so!!!!. I had the same problem after the first filter and fluid change 1,5 year ago (BTW always change the sleeve when change filer and fluid or like here 10k miles down the road you will do it again - I was unwitting about it had not been changed before it the service was done). After last filter and fluid change I went to an import car shop and I got it flushed to see if that would help- the issue miraculously disappeared - kicked down perfectly etc. Now back to square one after this filter and fluid change. Could it be the Jag dealer sets the fluid level wrong and that is was is causing this???

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't understand the "an estimate of 1 Quarts was lost" part. I also think your estimate of shifting pattern is subjective from the sound of it. If you always drive in S and now you don't, wouldn't the pattern be slower now? Your question is not adding up for me.
I will say that the original fill on these trannys may have had problems from some friction modifiers that the new oil may have corrected, so the shifting will be different. I have just changed two of these and they both shift differently, but better, now. I can only assume that the oil formula has changed.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:37 AM
MTW

They say that it takes little less than 6qt to fill it if no fluid had been lossed due to a leak - they used little less than 7qt so one must have been lost due to the leak. The transmission is choosing a higher gear than before. Jaguars records shows that no friction modifier has ever been used and Jag dealer had never used modifier on a 06 and up, only earlier years. Is it normal that the trans shifts at full throotle around 3-3.5k rpm if it is not in S-mode? What I wrote was that the shift pattern does not change when I push the S-mode. I have always driving it in S-mode so maybe it is the S-mode that does not work?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 AM
MTW

Well I should just stop worrying - like my wife says. The day after, I started the car and it shift pretty much like before when in sports mode - almost like the car would not go into sports mode initially????

Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by MTW
They say that it takes little less than 6qt to fill it if no fluid had been lossed due to a leak - they used little less than 7qt so one must have been lost due to the leak. The transmission is choosing a higher gear than before. Jaguars records shows that no friction modifier has ever been used and Jag dealer had never used modifier on a 06 and up, only earlier years. Is it normal that the trans shifts at full throotle around 3-3.5k rpm if it is not in S-mode? What I wrote was that the shift pattern does not change when I push the S-mode. I have always driving it in S-mode so maybe it is the S-mode that does not work?
Actually, what you describe is not that outlandish. You have to look at the big picture. Yes, you have an adaptive transmission, and those adaptions correct or adjust shift properties based on the friction properties of the materials etc. inside the trans. That includes the fluid. As friction parts wear, matter from the clutches etc. wears away; and where does it go?? Into the fluid. It may not be on the discs, but it is still there. As the fluid circulates, the suspended friction matter keeps coming back to the party and plays a roll in the friction equation. When you change the fluid, that suspended friction matter goes away, all at once, and someone prone to pay attention to his car will notice a difference. Eventually the adaption of the TCM will again make up for the change, and everybody is happy.

Gee, it always the little things.......

Cheers,

Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM
MTW

Steve - So well explained - Makes perfect sense -Thanks! Wish you could be by Tech!

Last edited by MTW; 10-31-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MTW
Wish you could be by Tech!
C'mon down.......it's only a thousand miles!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Steve is our tech, along with Brutal and a few others. We can all benefit from this wisdom. I would never have bought my car without this wisdom to lean on.

The following users liked this post:
xjrguy (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 PM

I can work on a 5 liter Fox- bodied Mustang in my sleep. An XJR, while everything resides in the right places (front engine, rear drive, dual exhaust, etc.) is a totally different animal. Scary territory without a roadmap. This forum is the roadmap.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 AM
MTW

Particularly it seams that the techs here knows more than the ones I have dealt with at the dealer ship - the knowledge is highly appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Originally Posted by MTW
Particularly it seams that the techs here knows more than the ones I have dealt with at the dealer ship - the knowledge is highly appreciated.
Or they have a genuine interest in what they do and in Jaguar cars...either way it is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Y'know, that's a weird precipice we techs find ourselves on sometimes. One day we are chastised as a traitor by our own because we're "cutting into someone's paycheck" by assisting owners. The next day, we get kind words, as in the posts here. Then on the third day we are decimated on the forum because we are the dreaded "rip-off" dealer that must be avoided at all costs.

But jahummer pretty much has it right. If we spend time here, or JCNA, or Jag-Lovers, we are generally a Jaguar enthusiast to some degree. Though I have to admit, my sign-on here was at first purely selfish. I came looking for "stuff" that I could glean, learn and use day to day. Don't get me wrong, that is still true, but it turns out there is an enjoyment to it as well. And I can't forget to mention that cars have rolled in here based on some of my contributions on this forum, and not all were contributors themselves, some were lurkers.

So we all gain here...........keep up the good work!

Edit: Lost my original train of thought. My suggestion to folks like MTW: find a dealer maybe with a tech that is a Jaguar Club member for instance, or one who did you a good job at some point. Introduce yourself and form a relationship. That is the way to have good help in maintaining your Jaguar. You might have to try a dealer that isn't the closest one to you, but building the relationship is the key to the best ownership experience.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 11-01-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Steve, Brutal, if you know anyone, or know anyone who knows anyone, or if anyone reading this knows of anyone in the Dallas area, Jag store or indy, that is worth their salt, I'm for now flying solo geographically. It would be nice to have someone local to trust.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

You can clear adaptations and start all over again if you want to ask the dealer to perform this. The Tech Tip is an older one but I'm sure it still applies. You don't have to reprogram the TCM unless there is a newer software version. The drive cycle should be performed after the adaptation clear.

Here is some info to read.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
14tl-06-2003.pdf (62.7 KB, 220 views)
File Type: pdf
24tl-05-2004.pdf (48.0 KB, 373 views)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM
MTW

Thanks motorcarman,
I assume this was what my dealer forgot.

Last edited by MTW; 11-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

MTW what dealer in the Boston area did you use ??? By process of elimination it seems like it is the dealer on Rte. 1 Is that correct?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
MTW

I am actually not in Boston anymore I am in Denver, CO - I should change my profile. I have used the dealer in Norwood and I were not impressed. I was in several time under warranty because they could not figure out why the car overheated and every time they scratch the car - multiple scratches - I have never had a dealer scratch my car before - this dealer was really good at it. Last time I talked with the owner since both doors had gotten multiple deep scratches and he realized he needed to cover this (I was pissed) - I got both doors repainted. It was almost like someone at the dealer did it deliberately (I know my car - every scratch and I know when a new one has arrived:-) )
Stevinson Import here in Denver is taking care of the car no doubt about that - and I have in general been satisfied, though expensive - not so much hourly rate 120- I understand there is more service than other places, but the time they charge seem long - I remember 1h for changing the fuel filter and this charge was separate from the injector cleaning service 1.5h - that is a long time for changing a fuel filter that is very accessible.