XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

transmission "surging" or "slipping"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts
Default transmission "surging" or "slipping"?

I can't catch a break with this car. Last year did the trans pan and sleeve, last month did the cooler lines. Checked the fluid level at that time, topped off, and it has been fine until yesterday.

On my drive home, after ~8 miles on the highway I felt an odd sensation like the engine was surging, or maybe the trans was slipping, or a slight misfire... Did not register anything on the tach. I got off, trans shifted fine in town, but the surging returns intermittently once I'm at cruising speed.

This morning drove and it is acting normal again. Only correlation is that yesterday afternoon was the 1st day when the temps were over 80F outside.

Does this sound like the "ZF Surging" that a trans flash will fix? Not sure if I should try resetting trans adaptations, or 1st going back and checking the fluid level? Since it only started when the weather warmed, maybe it's overfilled and foaming? I can't imagine it being filled that much more--I did the level check when the trans was warm.

Help

Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Generally surging is a symptom of low fluid level (my old Merc leaked a fair bit, and it was sure sign that the level was low) so I'd start there.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

That is possible. I thought about when I did the level check, I checked to see that the trans pan was still warm... but I know some transmissions will not allow fluid to flow through the cooler lines until it gets up to temperature. Maybe it needs some more fluid.

But strange that it only started happening once the outside temp goes up? I guess fluid is the place to start. I'm not going to be driving it much until I check that...

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

I'd do that simply on the 'do-the-low-tech-checks-first', then think high tech (=$$$ !)

Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

the "ZF surging" only appears within a short phase during warmup of the gearbox.
If you're experiencing that effect for a long time, flashing tcm will not help.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine started doing this before the throttle body failed. Just got it back from the mechanic and the part was ~$185.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

It's not during warmup, it's only after miles of driving in hot ambient temps. Only did it the one time the other day and has not repeated since.

I'm wondering if the TB isn't the issue I'm experiencing... It has also been doing an odd rev pattern on cold starts (start, rev to 1100, rev up to 1300, back to 1100, then idles down).

Esloser, where did you get a TB for $185? Or was that just the TPS?

To be honest, I'd be happier if the TB were failing and not the trans or torque converter. At least that would be a well known issue and an easy fix.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I had it done through my mechanic here in New Jersey. He mentioned he orders the parts directly from Jaguar. The price of the part was $186 and also a gasket for $3.65. He ended up charging me an hour of diagnostics and .7 hours of labor to swap it out. Based on what I've read here, I don't believe you can just get the sensor - I think you have to replace the whole assembly and gasket.

When he originally checked the price, he was also floored. He mentioned just a couple of weeks ago they were going for $1000+. However, he thinks there may be a recall in the near future and they are trying to offset the price of the recall by lowing the parts price. I don't know if there is any truth to that though.

My engine started running rough (thought it may be a coil going) and then one day it went into restricted performance mode on my way home. I was able to shut the Jag down and start it back up and all errors went away, but that was short-lived and it was in the shop the next day.

Originally Posted by mhamilton
It's not during warmup, it's only after miles of driving in hot ambient temps. Only did it the one time the other day and has not repeated since.

I'm wondering if the TB isn't the issue I'm experiencing... It has also been doing an odd rev pattern on cold starts (start, rev to 1100, rev up to 1300, back to 1100, then idles down).

Esloser, where did you get a TB for $185? Or was that just the TPS?

To be honest, I'd be happier if the TB were failing and not the trans or torque converter. At least that would be a well known issue and an easy fix.