XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Trembling steering wheel issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

If it is the bolt you need to get that sorted out immediately as once it loosens the upper and lower steering columns can actually disengage and you could be left without any steering input whilst moving.

It is so easy to check if that is the problem - just remove the upper footwell carpet (IIRC two plastic screws) and with a torch you can clearly see the bolt where the two shafts connect. Keep the key in at position 2 to unlock the column and wiggle the steering wheel. If the upper column moves and the lower one does not then you've found your problem. A dab of loctite and a few turns of the bolt and you will be back to new again. If there is no play between the two shafts then the problem is something else.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
Don B (07-20-2016), JimC64 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, it's not that, it's something in the rack or front suspension. After working the wheel in a quiet spot I can hear a light knock somewhere under the hood and can feel the slack in the steering. Funny though because nothing actually feels loose while driving.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
If it is the bolt you need to get that sorted out immediately as once it loosens the upper and lower steering columns can actually disengage and you could be left without any steering input whilst moving.

It is so easy to check if that is the problem - just remove the upper footwell carpet (IIRC two plastic screws) and with a torch you can clearly see the bolt where the two shafts connect. Keep the key in at position 2 to unlock the column and wiggle the steering wheel. If the upper column moves and the lower one does not then you've found your problem. A dab of loctite and a few turns of the bolt and you will be back to new again. If there is no play between the two shafts then the problem is something else.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
I'm heading down to Brighton for a wedding this weekend and aim to get that checked and everything else more in depth if required to get to the root cause

Old 10-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
I'm heading down to Brighton for a wedding this weekend and aim to get that checked and everything else more in depth if required to get to the root cause
Hello all,

Was this problem resolved? I too have replaced all suspension control arms and stabilizers with Lemfoerder originals, nerw OEM 18" wheels, new Bridgestone Quiet Trac tires, new bearing hubs, etc. and still have very slight shimmy/trembling at 60-70 mph. Have not done road force balancing yet.

I have not checked steering rack mounting bushings or steering rack play, but was thinking that might be something to look at.

Car has 79,000 miles and not very abused. Any suggestions by those that have resolved this would be helpful

Mark

Old 10-02-2023, 08:41 PM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8Mark
Hello all,

Was this problem resolved? I too have replaced all suspension control arms and stabilizers with Lemfoerder originals, nerw OEM 18" wheels, new Bridgestone Quiet Trac tires, new bearing hubs, etc. and still have very slight shimmy/trembling at 60-70 mph. Have not done road force balancing yet.

I have not checked steering rack mounting bushings or steering rack play, but was thinking that might be something to look at.

Car has 79,000 miles and not very abused. Any suggestions by those that have resolved this would be helpful

Mark
7 years later, who knows?

Perform a power steering fluid swap out and replace with Ford Mercon SP.

I had a low speed shudder at the steering wheel. Lived with it until my pressure line spring a leak.

Original PS fluid spec was Dexron III

Since I flushed and replaced with Mercon SP - butter smooth at all speeds!

Old 10-02-2023, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,989 Likes on 790 Posts

Is the shimmy/tremble feeding back through your steering wheel, or are you getting it through the floor or seat?

Reason I ask is you might have a drive shaft coupling or centre bearing issue that is giving you a vibration at that road speed.