XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Troubleshooting Interior Lighting - 2004 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting Interior Lighting - 2004 XJ8

Hello,

I am having some issue trying to troubleshoot an issue with the interior courtesy lights (front and rear map lights and rear foot well). 2004 XJ8 (X350). I have been reviewing the wiring diagrams and checking fuses all day and have yet to solve this issue.

Symptoms:
Here is what works, when opening one of the doors: the front foot-well, puddle lights, approach lights (door mirrors) and vanity mirrors all work.
What does not come on are the, front overhead dome light, front and rear map lights, and rear foot well lights.

-- Oddly enough with all the doors closed I am able to independently turn on each of the map lights, however when turning on each map light successively each additional light causes the previous light to dim.

Notes: I have had not issue staring the car in cold weather, nor do the headlights dim or flicker leading me to believe this is not an issue with the battery.

Thanks,
-BankBen

Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Lights

My guess.
A bad ground in the dome light circuit.
You can program the light sequence somewhere I think.
Check manual for that.
Are you in a humid environment?
That would accelerate degraded connections.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:52 PM

I have similar issue on my 2004 XJR. Front center dome light does not light up in any situation. The switch however turns off and on rear reading lights. All the doors do light up rear lights and footwells. Front reading lights can be turned on separately, but not simultaneously - they will only glow a bit. All the other switches work properly: rear curtain, parking sensor, sunroof.

I have not been able to find any guidance on programming the lights. There are no fault codes that would have anything to do with this, and I have tried disconnecting the battery. What to do next?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:42 PM
Received 216 Likes on 149 Posts

Has anyone worked on the headliner? Many have reported that the rear reading lamps are left and right sided. if swapped the system will ground out.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Has anyone worked on the headliner? Many have reported that the rear reading lamps are left and right sided. if swapped the system will ground out.
Well in this case I can not see how this might be the reason, for the lights worked fine earlier, and no-one has touched the rear lights.

Ground might however be something to check - does anyone know where the ground point to the body is for this part of wiring?

Old 09-23-2019, 06:07 AM
Smile

Hi
I have exactly the same problem wit my XJ6 X350. In addisjon the front indicator light and the wiper flusher dont work either..
This weekend I measured the voltage in the fuseboks on the fuses in question... A 10 A fuse for the dome light/front indicator and a 15A fuse for the flusher. They sit above each other.
I meeasured 12,2 volt until I turned one of the items on, then it went down to 0.
I then took a wire direktly from the batttery positive terminal (with a fuse on it) and conected it into the conector in the fuse box... Then.. everything was working again! It did't matter if i conected it to the flusher circuit or the dome light/indicator circuit.
What can be the cause behind this??

Regards from Norway :-)

Old 01-26-2020, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Emil Stenstadvold
Hi
I have exactly the same problem wit my XJ6 X350. In addisjon the front indicator light and the wiper flusher dont work either..
This weekend I measured the voltage in the fuseboks on the fuses in question... A 10 A fuse for the dome light/front indicator and a 15A fuse for the flusher. They sit above each other.
I meeasured 12,2 volt until I turned one of the items on, then it went down to 0.
I then took a wire direktly from the batttery positive terminal (with a fuse on it) and conected it into the conector in the fuse box... Then.. everything was working again! It did't matter if i conected it to the flusher circuit or the dome light/indicator circuit.
What can be the cause behind this??

Regards from Norway :-)
This is still unsolved, any ideas? I replaced the dome light module with a used one, but it had no effect.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a similar problem. My dome light does not come one with open doors. When I press the center button the rear ones come on and off but not the front. if I press and hold the front it will stay on while I hold it. The passenger dome light will click on and off when I press the button. When I press the drivers button the center dome light illuminates while I hold the button but if I release it goes out. If I press the drivers side HARD then both the center and the driver will come on but will not stay on. They only hold on as long as I press the button.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello, I'm a new member and my apologies for not introducing myself in another area yet. I just bought a 2005 Jaguar VDP with 105,125 mi. (I'm 3rd owner).

1) Like BANKBEN, Tomi Hautakangas, and Steve274 problems, my center cabin light doesn't light when opening the drivers door. Quoting Bankben, "the front foot-well, puddle lights, approach lights (door mirrors) and vanity mirrors all work."

2) The driver and passenger map lights work, but ONLY dimly now (once they did work at full brightness, but only individually, never simultaneously. Strangely, the center cabin light doesn't work until one of the map lights is pressed...and then, both cabin and map lights are both dimly lit(very dim!).

3)Both rear map lights do come on, when switch is pushed. Question: Should these go on when the driver door is open or only when the passenger doors are open(either/or)?

4)And finally- I don't know if this is NORMAL, but...I was able to dim and brighten the footwell lights with the passenger map light switch. Is this a hidden feature?

From anything I've been able to discover from searching online, this could be a module that is /has gone bad, possibly? The prior owner died and I bought it from his wife; no record of service has been found yet...so I'm hoping someone here will read this and offer help. It seems this is a problem that is still unsolved. Thank you all. I appreciate this group and anything I have been able to learn here, however me being a new member.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Main dealers keep a record of work done and should give it to you

if you prove ownership.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 PM
Default Main dealers data

Hi Meirion1,

I'll give that a try. I have a business card of the service manager, so I know which dealership.

I'd like to make a slight detail correction for the above lighting characteristics: 1) My map lights work individually, at full brightness., but 2) the map lights can not be turned on as a pair. 3)The center cabin light will only dimly light and then it does so when both map lights are lit also, but they're always dim. and 3)pressing the cabin light (center switch light)will also dim or increase the lighting in both passenger and driver footwells. 4)Opening the driver door never turns on the cabin lights, only the aforementioned in my first posting. The rear passenger lights both work, full brightness. I hope someone who had/ has this similar problem, where the cabin light not only won't go on when the driver door is open, but also, it can't be turned on by pushing the cabin light button-switch. It only goes on dimly, clustered with both map lights on (also same dimness). WEIRDNESS !

Old 04-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Received 216 Likes on 149 Posts

Most likely is what the manual refers to for everything on this car, "short to ground". Need to find out if someone has worked around the headliner. Many times they reinstall the rear cabin lights in the opposite sides, causing issues. Rear cabin lights are "sided left and right", but will physically fit and connect.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Most likely is what the manual refers to for everything on this car, "short to ground". Need to find out if someone has worked around the headliner. Many times they reinstall the rear cabin lights in the opposite sides, causing issues. Rear cabin lights are "sided left and right", but will physically fit and connect.
It's interesting, Mark. I decided today, that this will be my next move. I have no idea what was done to this vehicle. So, I'll see what reversing those lights accomplishes. Thank you for your ideas!