XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Trunk closing/opening. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation Trunk closing/opening. . .

Smee again, :-). A couple of weeks ago I posted:
"I am beginning to see some intermittant problems with the auto closing/opening feature of the trunk. It will sometimes not latch when the lid is closed then if you pull on it to see if it is closed the 'motor' (for the closing mechanism) operates. Other times the trunk will nto want to unlock using the key fob but will work off the dash switch. Other times neither will unlock.
Any ideas..? "
And member # 34by151 suggested I scan the codes using SDD and a possible REM reflash along with a possibility of the car battery going out.

One or a couple of important things I did forget to emntion, is that the truck will not unlock using the keyfob or the inside button. I can only unlock using the key ('n that's a pain and awkward, to say the least!).
Any thoughts in light of these added symptoms..?

And, going back to the suggestions I had on my initial post: what do SDD and REM stand for?

Thanks,

Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Couple of more things to assist anybody who may be able to offer troubleshooting advice: as mentioned previously the truck cannot be opened using the remote. Also, it cannot be opened using the dash mounted switch or the button on the trunk lid itself. Only the key will unlock and open the trunk.

Right now, when the truck is closed, it sits about an 1/8" up giving the impression that it is not closed properly, but, there is no indication on the dash and the lid does not lift up when pulled on.

If any of our experienced Jag Techs who access this forum have a wiring diagram or tech tips to point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA,

Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry, I am not a tech, but this is a 2004 schematic and still may apply: Central Locking - Security 2004.pdf.

This may also apply:Luggage Compartment Lid Alignment.pdf

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Same answers still apply but given the extra info I would check the solenoid

This is located under the boot lid trim.
Just apply power and it pulls that cable that unlocks the latch

If you dont get that working you have your answer. If not the signal come from the REM and the switch / Fob tells the REM to send the signal.

So next test the REM.

PS I connect the battery to a switch mode power supply when working in the garage so as to eliminate any battery issues. This is also recommended in the Manuals for the SDD. The OEM unit is set to 13.4V, so I did the same

Cheers
34by151

Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Thanks to all who offered solutions ot the problem. I asked a ******* (dealer) in DC what my problem could be. I simply walked in and informed them I was from out-of-town and the simptoms I was experiencing with my trunk lid. The service advisor said that it was probably the electric motor (solenoid motor?) as they have been known to fail. Also said they had one in stock and it was almost $400 plus labor of about $120 to replace it. I said I could wait til I got back home and let my local dealer replace it.
Anyway, this weekend I removed the plastic cover over the latch and gained acced to the mechanism. I diconnetced the electrical connector too, obviuos resons, otherwise the solenoid would not come out.

I reconnected the solenoid when it was out to see if there was anthing I could perhaps tweak to get it to work again. On the reconnection I saw the thrunk light come on (it was not working since the problem started). I depressed the plunger on the lower lip of the truck and bingo the latch closed. I repeated a couple of times incase the first was a fluke. Worked like a champ everytime!

Needless to say, I reinstalled everything and all works as advertised. 20-30 minutes of play and $400-$500 saved!!

Thanks again to all who wanted to help with advice. i realise there is only so much that can be done via a forum, but every little bit helps. It also boosts confidence in one to attempt fixes which otherwise may go unattended or costly fix by a ******* (dealer)!