XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

trunk and glovebox access with a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk and glovebox access with a dead battery

(2004 xjr) Battery went dead (original battery so perhaps no surprise there...). With the battery dead I can't open the glove box (to get the owner's manual) and neither can I open the trunk to access the battery. I've heard one can do the jump via the underhood fuse box where two mysterious "pins" reside but what do I do with them. They seem not to be labeled plus or negative???

Old 04-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fward
(2004 xjr) neither can I open the trunk to access the battery.
You can open the trunk with the key. Look near the license plate lights and you will see a location to inset the key. If its not been used much it will likely appear difficult to turn. You need to rotate approx. 90 degrees to open the trunk. Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by hafren:
Don B (07-25-2016), jhn (07-24-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Key does not do it. I called SIX Jag dealer's service departments (to ask which of the two pins is positive/negative so I could connect my battery charger - that's all I needed to know. I had NO success with the dealers. . In three cases I was unable to speak even to a receptionist, or I got put on hold with a dead line soon to follow! (what if I wanted to buy a $100K XJL?). With the three other dealers none of the techs knew the answer to my two pin question! I was getting desperate! Does Jaguar not have a system whereby if not one tech at a dealership can solve a problem they can go to a company expert outside that dealership? Maybe they do and my off the road XJR wasn't worth following up on. No money to be made there, hey! Hold you're breath no longer. The answer to the " two pin" enigma is (drum roll here...) is that BOTH PINS ARE POSITIVE! I got this simple four-word answer from a website justask.com It cost me $36 and my anser arriced in four minutes! Beat THAT Jaguar. The longer answer (which I didn't need, but which someone out there might someday) is... open up the underhood fuse box, spot the two metal pins (they're in plain sight!). Connect your battery charger's positive to either of the two pins and the neg. to one of the four strut tower bolts just inches away. Seconds later press the in-car trunk release and that's it! It's worth noting that this procedure does NOT charge the battery. By the way, the services offered by justask.com are not limited to car problems...

Old 04-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by fward
Key does not do it. I called SIX Jag dealer's service departments (to ask which of the two pins is positive/negative so I could connect my battery charger - that's all I needed to know. I had NO success with the dealers. . In three cases I was unable to speak even to a receptionist, or I got put on hold with a dead line soon to follow! (what if I wanted to buy a $100K XJL?). With the three other dealers none of the techs knew the answer to my two pin question! I was getting desperate! Does Jaguar not have a system whereby if not one tech at a dealership can solve a problem they can go to a company expert outside that dealership? Maybe they do and my off the road XJR wasn't worth following up on. No money to be made there, hey! Hold you're breath no longer. The answer to the " two pin" enigma is (drum roll here...) is that BOTH PINS ARE POSITIVE! I got this simple four-word answer from a website justask.com It cost me $36 and my anser arriced in four minutes! Beat THAT Jaguar. The longer answer (which I didn't need, but which someone out there might someday) is... open up the underhood fuse box, spot the two metal pins (they're in plain sight!). Connect your battery charger's positive to either of the two pins and the neg. to one of the four strut tower bolts just inches away. Seconds later press the in-car trunk release and that's it! It's worth noting that this procedure does NOT charge the battery. By the way, the services offered by justask.com are not limited to car problems...
Get some graphite lube into the key hole in trunk lid and work your key (unless you only have the valet key) then you need to invest in getting a vehicle key.

That may explain why the key wouldn't open the trunk.

Also, please post an intro in new members section.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:10 PM
jhn
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, you just saved me. I could not figure out how to get into the trunk with a dead battery.